“Nice suite hotel in the heart of Greektown”
Review of The Atheneum

The Atheneum
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Winlock, Washington
“Nice suite hotel in the heart of Greektown”
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed at the Atheneum for a Friday and Saturday night in July 2010. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
I stayed in a deluxe suite. I won the room on Skyauction.com for $270 for two nights, taxes included. The room was HUGE! A seating area with a large screen TV, and bathroom, and then the sleeping area with another large screen TV. I didn't watch much TV, but if you like to watch two programs at once, this would be the hotel for you! The furniture was kind of "funky", but comfortable. Free Wi Fi in the room. maid service was very prompt. I was never bothered by outside noise or noise from other rooms.
I guess there is a MIchigan law which says you cannot bring alcohol into the hotel if the hotel has a liquor license. I read some earlier reviews about not being able to bring alcohol into the hotel. I think as long as you weren't trying to bring two cases of beer through the lobby this wouldn't be a problem. I was able to bring my own bottle and mixer in with no problems.
There was a "Peoplemover" stop right next to the hotel. The hotel also offered a shuttle service which I didn't use.
Being right in the heart of Greektown there were all kinds of restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. Greektown is a pretty lively place on Friday and Saturday nights. The Greektown Casino was across the street. I was going to do a little gambling, but with a $15 minimum bid on the tables, I decided to save my money. ;-) I walked to the transit center and took the tunnel bus to Windsor, Ontario for a few hours on Friday night. The hotel was also within walking distance of ComericA Park to watch a Tigers game, which I did on Saturday afternoon.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay here. If you could get the room for about what I paid, I think it would be a good value, as the rack rate was about $200 a night + taxes.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank drmorf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I love this hotel! Everyone from the front desk staff to housekeeping, to bellmen, to valet staff, to wait staff etc., etc., are cheeful, friendly, kind and professional! The rooms are incredibly large and comfortable and the location in Greektown can't be beat. This is my fifth or sixth stay at the Atheneum and I honestly can't imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We stayed here last year for a convention at the Marriott. We don't stay in Marriotts any longer since they stopped offering smoking rooms. Honestly I can't see paying money to have to stand outside in the freezing cold so I only stay in hotels with smoking rooms. When we stayed here last year were so impressed with the size of the rooms and the staff. This year we found it just as nice as last year. We ate at Fishbone both nights and the food was pretty good. I saw earlier complaints about alcohol restrictions however we unloaded our car with a case of beer and nobody said anything to us so maybe we were just lucky? I don't know but we carried it out in the open; to registration and then up to the room. The shuttle guys are great and would take up numerous times a day to the Marriott and back. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes to be picked up. The only complaint I had this time around was room service. We tried it for Sunday morning using the preorder cards you hang on the door. We had an early morning and requested breakfast at 6:30 AM. When it didn't arrive we checked the door and it had never been picked up so we called the front desk who transferred us to Fishbone. They said they would send up someone directly to pick it up and promised delivery by 7:30 which would only give us about 15 mintues to eat but we agreed. We waited; nothing. Checked the door again and it was still hanging there so we brought back in the room and gave up. Fortunately the Marriott had a wonderful breakfast buffet so it turned out we were glad they screwed up but Fishbone really could improve on their service if they are going to be the food service for the hotel. We had no issues with noise and I never noticed the strip club; just casinos. All in all enjoyed our stay and would return again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We really loved the Anthenum suites. It was a nice, clean hotel, and all the staff were friendly. I felt that we got excellent value for money and I couldn’t wish for a better place to stay!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit
Reviewed February 16, 2010

First let me preface by saying that I am from Detroit and have stayed all over the city and experienced the same kind of service. It seems Detroit hotel staff is simply unwilling to provide guests with the courtesy of being remotely friendly either on the phone or in person. Being as though The Atheneum is among the pricier of the lot in the area, I assumed that perhaps the service would be somewhat palatable. I was mistaken.

We stayed for Valentine's Day and brough champagne, truffles, etc... with us. I called two days before to make sure there would be a refrigerator in the deluxe suite we had booked. It took me 4 calls (being placed on hold indefinitely and then hung up on) before I finally was put through to a manager who assured me there would be one in the suite upon our arrival.

When we arrived at 3:05, check in is at 3 mind you, we were told there were no more refrigerators available. We paid $300 to stay there and the manager refused to even get us a tub full of ice for the room. I did complain, however, decided that since my concerns fell on deaf ears I would simply make the best of it. We went to the room, unassisted by any hotel staff despite having a fairly significant amount of luggage, and found that there was already a refrigerator in the suite. What a nice way to start the trip.

The room was rather dirty with remnants of the last guests on the floors and in the jacuzzi but after the fiasco at the front desk I just cleaned it up the best I could. Then after filling the jacuzzi and turning on the jets, I noticed that large brown globs of an unidentified substance were coming out. Knowing what I know about the nasty bacteria that can exist in hot tubs I decided that we would not be using it that evening.

As far as the previous reviews, we were not told that we couldn't bring alcohol in. There is a noisy strip club across the way but you can request to stay on the other side. Fishbone's is attached and, in my opinion, one of the best places to eat in the city.

I would never stay here again. There are plenty of other places to stay in Detroit for the same level of service & cleanlines that are not parading around as a four diamond hotel with prices to match.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
af38705
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I hate to give the hotel such a low rating considering the room was great, but there were several things not mentioned before booking that nearly cost us 80 bucks in beer/liquor. the deluxe room is large, the beds are comfortable, they will bring you a fridge for free, and the bathroom is huge. the only negatives about the room was the 42 inch tvs did not have hd programming, so the picture was not great, and the AC system was poorly designed, with the only vent in the room located in the back corner of the bed room.

Despite there being ashtrays and an absence of no smoking signs, the staff will have a coronary if you smoke outside your room by the elevators. also, what is not mentioned anywhere until you reach the elevator to get to your room is that you cannot bring alcohol into the hotel. we had to resort to proping a door open and coming in through a service door and up through the service elevator.

overall, aside from the maintenece guy, the staff was the biggest negative. however, if you can manage to conceal the alcohol until you get it to your room, i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank af38705
K-W, Ontario
Reviewed January 31, 2010

The hotel was good in every aspect except that there is a strip club across the street that starts playing incredibly loud music from 9 pm to 2 am. I didn't feel like changing rooms since I had everything already unpacked. So, I slept with a pillow over my head. Yes, it is really that loud. If it wasn't for that (and the expensive valet parking), it would be an excellent value and definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple