The Atheneum
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsgreektown casinoglass blockfishbones restaurantsitting roombedroom arealarge bathroomfree shuttledeep tubpeople movervalet parkingford fieldflat screencontinental breakfastshuttle servicehotel shuttlebeautiful hotelthe entire hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 18, 2007

I stayed at The Atheneum for one night on a business trip. I must admit that I've never stayed in downtown Detroit before and have nothing to compare it to. After reading all of the TripAdvisor reviews and looking at the different hotels, it appeared to be one of better, more reasonable choices.

I didn't find it as beautifully appointed as some of the other reviews. The hotel has some "age spots", but it isn't horrible. The rooms are quite large and the living rooms made it easy to work. You have to go with reasonable expectations and know you aren't staying at the Ritz or some wonderful boutique hotel.

They charge for both the internet in the room and the wireless in the lobby. I was in a hurry to get on-line when I arrived. The internet in the room did not work. I was staying on a higher floor and couldn't get on the wireless. I did get on the wireless in the lobby. They offered to try and come fix it, but I honestly didn't have time. I did have a Fed Ex delivery sent to me earlier that morning. They were very helpful and quick in retrieving it.

The valet was very nice, but be aware that they do have a distance to go to get the car...so just plan to be a couple of minutes early. I did alert them when I was just running in and out and they were fine with leaving the car near the entrance for me.

The gym is small, but has cardio equipment that all worked and a TV. You won't find free weights, lots of machines, etc. (Note: If you want to multi-task...the wireless works really well in the gym. :) )

The bar and restaurant in the hotel lobby were all closed while I was there. However, the hotel is connected to hotels and the casino through a walkway that is easily reachable. I got in late and was happy to have Greektown open and lively. Pegasus was very good. It had a fun bar area that was perfectly pleasant for anyone dining alone. The bartenders were really friendly. I waited to eat breakfast or lunch away from downtown...I don't really know where I would have gone so I just avoided it.

The hotel and the area are certainly not the most glamorous...but I think it did the job. The rooms are big enough and clean enough. If you like Greek food...it is at your fingertips. And really...a casino that is practically part of your hotel...but you don't actually have to stay in the casino...how bad can that be? One thing I did learn is that Michigan isn't like Vegas or Atlantic City. No free casino drinks here...even if you are gambling you pay for your cocktails. (I was mad at myself because I gambled too long and missed the bakery everyone was raving about. They close at midnight and you can enter through the casino!)

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank travelgrrlnyc
Reviewed October 19, 2006

We stayed for just two nights but were very impressed with the hotel. From the moment we arrived, every member of staff, from valet, bell hop etc. was helpful and friendly. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. We had trouble with the TV internet and called for assistance. An engineer was there in no time and went out of his way to get it working again.

Our room was superb for the money we paid - a large sitting area, large bathroom and sunken bedroom. It was spotlessly clean, had two TV sets and just about everything we needed.

We had room service from "Fishbones", the restaurant attached to the hotel, which was very good, with huge portions. We also had dinner in the restaurant one night and breakfast one morning. Very impressed with the two dinners but service was a little slow for breakfast and the food could have been better.

All in all, the Atheneum is highly recommended!

1  Thank Welshquin
Reviewed October 14, 2006

Great hotel. Contrary to some earlier posts, everyone was super nice and polite, the bell hops and the valets, very nice, smiling, laughing, it took 5 minutes to check in. Was a bit nervous about previous posts saying it was loud - we had no trouble and we were there the night the Tigers clinched the ALCS for the World Series and it was fine. The room was nice and it was clean, with a huge bathroom and great feature with the sunken bedroom. The only issues we had was the phone next to the bed did not work nor did the "Menu" buttons on the remotes. Not a big deal though. Walking distance to everything we wanted, food, Greektown casino, we even walked around Saturday afternoon and found a great coffee place etc. There was a CVS nearby, which we were glad for. Overall, great weekend, great hotel, Detroit is really working hard to come back!

1  Thank tennisgirl858
Reviewed October 6, 2006

My husband and I had a wonderful time, and highly recommend the hotel, location in Greektown.

We went to Detroit for the Red Wings 1st 2006 game and other then the Wings losing to Vancouver we had an awesome time!

Hotel was excellent, from check in to departure. Hotel rooms are large, charming and very clean! Interesting lobby bar and great gift shop! Rooms service great! Free business center to check e-mail and free to print too!
Restaurants Fishbones, Pegasus and Mosaic were each outstanding for very different reasons, we ate at all three.

The Sunday Brunch at Fishbones, by the most beautiful indoor waterfall was spectacular, too much food to try everything so we will be back and already booked our next room for January 2007.

My husband and I had a wonderful time, and highly recommend the hotel, location and Greektown Casino.

Reviewed August 23, 2006

we stayed at the atheneum for the first time. i cancelled a reservation that i had for the hilton garden inn to give the antheneum a try. we paid for our king suite in advance on hotels. when we went to check in we were informed that the hotel had overbooked and the king suite was not available.they gave us a regular suite which was old and clean. the staff made it seem like they were doing us a favor by getting a room even though we had already paid for a king suite.

the only pleasent person we encountered there was the bell captain- curtis.

the mangement did give us a $50 voucher to use at a choice of 3 restaurants in greektown. what they did not tell us was that all 3 restaurants where owned by the hotel.

i travel over 70 nights a year and this was my first experience with a hotel being overbooked and paying in advance.this was a extremely disappointing experience. save your money and stay at the hilton garden inn or omni.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple