“Beautiful”
Review of The Atheneum

The Atheneum
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Very nice, modern, friendly and clean. Checkin took too long but everything else was peachy!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 5, 2009

Stayed at the Atheneum for two nights and it is a very nice hotel - nice rooms, clean, comfy beds, good location and most importantly it has FREE Wi-Fi. The downsides are the workout room- old cardio equipment, no weights, noise from traffic and people on the streets is annoying (we were on 9th floor and it definitely kept me awake), there's no swimming pool if you are interested in that; we didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, Fishbones, but some friends that did said it was the worst meal they had experienced in awhile. Not really aware of any place nearby to a get a bagel and a cup of coffee in the a.m.- there are lots of Greek restaurants just outside the door of the hotel. We enjoyed Pegasus Tavern and Papalis Pizza. I am not really sure why anyone would want to go to Detroit-other than to see the Lions or the Tigers, and this hotel is within a few blocks of the stadiums. There is nothing in downtown Detroit except some Casinos.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed at the Atheneum in February and I was told by the staff that the remodeling is complete. I'm not sure why some reviewers find it unappealingly old-fashioned -- it's supposed to look retro and, in my opinion, it's well designed. It's also located close to a number of good restaurants, the Greektown Casino, and the "people mover," so you will not be stuck inside your hotel. Of course, you will need to deal with a bevy of Greektown panhandlers on the streets when you return in the evening, but that's par for the course. If you don't mind heights (glass elevator, open walkways), ask for a room on one of the top floors, and you will have a decent view of Detroit: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

A couple of negatives -- the heating/cooling vent blew loudly right on the bed all night. It was located high on the opposite wall, and I finally climbed up and pushed it closed. It may have just been a fluke in our room because the vent was loose and rattling. The bathroom was nice but the shower was laughably cheap -- everything else was tiled, but the shower was a plastic surround that felt like you might fall through to the floor below.

Staff is friendly and helpful. Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2009

we stayed here for the nickelback concert at the jla. and boy are we glad we did. the room(suite) was pretty big, with a living room , hall/bath, then 4 steps down to the bedroom. we are not too picky, so nothing really bothered us about the room, you can hear water running in the pipes sometimes from the room above or next to you, and you can hear the hall / elevator from the front LR. but there is a door to close that if you want, plus you cant hear the hall from way back in the BR. the room was clean and had tons of towels and supplies and 2 large flat screen tv's.

but even better than the room, was the service, from the time we pulled up, the valet was nice and helpful, the front desk was quick and good, we only spent maybe 2 minutes checking in and they offered us a mini fridge for the suite, which came in handy. the bell/shuttle service was unbelieveable, we asked about a cab, but they said "why, we will take you where ever you want to go...... and they did. getting us to our 530 dinner at ROAST, giving us a cell phone number to call to get picked up from dinner, back to the hotel for an hour or so, then to the arena for the concert. then after the concert they were just where they dropped us off and took us back to the hotel. Curtis, (aaron?) and tony tone hooked us up. they are all truely professional and the antheneum benefits by having all them work for the hotel...

as you can tell, we loved the place, it is just across the alley from greektown . i think i have found my one and only hotel for all my future detroit visits...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2009

My family came to Detroit for 3 days for some appointments and decided to stay at the Atheneum because of it's proximity to the medical center and the free shuttle it offered. We had nothing but positive experience with the staff, the room, and the hotel amenities.
When we checked in, the bell man, Tommy, noticed we had been given a room with one king bed (we are a family of 4) and immediately had the desk give us a different room, before we even left the lobby.
We arrived late so ordered room service for dinner while the kids played in the giant bathtub that they could almost swim in. The food delivered (sushi from Fishbones) was delicious and not over priced for room service.
The room was perfect for our family as we could put the kids to sleep in one room, or let them watch cartoons, while we stayed in the sitting room to read & watch TV. The beds were just as comfortable as the one at home.
Using the hotel shuttle was a huge convenience. Darnell dropped us off in the morning and made sure we understood how to get in touch with the hotel for our return trip. We ended up at a different location by the afternoon, but Tommy managed to find us with no problem & even took the time to show us a few sites of the downtown Detroit area on the way back.
I even managed to use their fitness center before we left. It was small with about 6 cardio machines, but a great option to running in the frigid cold!
We ate at Laikon Cafe in Greektown and thought the food was excellent. I would suggest not skipping the dessert at the nearby Astoria Pastry Shop. We had to go back once more for treats to eat on the airplane.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Let me start by saying I have stayed at the other "casino" hotels. Both MGM and Motor city have absolutely beautiful rooms. What I think gives the Antheneum hotel a little extra something is the fact that you can get a beautiful Suite (not just a room) and the location is perfect.

The rooms are HUGE. Other reviewers are talking about dated rooms; I really have no idea where they were staying. Our room looked just like the picture. Kind of 60's modern (I think 60's-before my time). The hotel lounge was quiet and reasonably priced. They had great entertainment at Fishbones. The staff in the hotel, lounge and restaurant were very friendly, I never had an issue with anything.

The great thing about this hotel, is it is connected to the people mover, so you are not "locked" into the casino your whole trip. You are able to go anywhere in the city, without getting in your car. And if you need transportation the people mover does not provide, they have a courtesy driver for a 5 mile radius. That is outstanding. They are also in the "tourist trap" neighborhood of Greek town. But I enjoy being able to walk outside and go to a bakery or into a small restaurant.

I have another reservation on January 31 for a girl's night out. I am totally looking forward to staying at the Antheneum again. And also showing my friends how many extras you get by staying at the there, compared to the other two casino hotels.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 5, 2009

A total relic. Glass brick, sad carpet, just ugh. Weird that I would have found that much else to do in a place like Detroit, but as a frequent visitor to the city, I have no problem completely avoiding the Greektown area at this point. Again, hard to believe that dear old Detroit would have a tourist trap neighborhood, but Greektown is it, and boy is it not representative of the best that Detroit has to offer.

I can handle the outmoded look and feel of this property, I suppose, except that staff simply are not good ambassadors for the city, which is actually among the friendliest in the country. I'm not sure you'd be able to tell, at the Atheneum. For nice people and a vibe that feels more 21st than 20th century, book one of the newer properties in town.

Bottom line: It seems that the Atheneum still imagines itself to be the bees knees, downtown-wise. This may have been one of the nicest addresses in the city a few years ago; thank goodness that is no longer the case. Skip it, you'll thank me later.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business