“Better than the other casino hotels!”
Review of The Atheneum

The Atheneum
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Let me start by saying I have stayed at the other "casino" hotels. Both MGM and Motor city have absolutely beautiful rooms. What I think gives the Antheneum hotel a little extra something is the fact that you can get a beautiful Suite (not just a room) and the location is perfect.

The rooms are HUGE. Other reviewers are talking about dated rooms; I really have no idea where they were staying. Our room looked just like the picture. Kind of 60's modern (I think 60's-before my time). The hotel lounge was quiet and reasonably priced. They had great entertainment at Fishbones. The staff in the hotel, lounge and restaurant were very friendly, I never had an issue with anything.

The great thing about this hotel, is it is connected to the people mover, so you are not "locked" into the casino your whole trip. You are able to go anywhere in the city, without getting in your car. And if you need transportation the people mover does not provide, they have a courtesy driver for a 5 mile radius. That is outstanding. They are also in the "tourist trap" neighborhood of Greek town. But I enjoy being able to walk outside and go to a bakery or into a small restaurant.

I have another reservation on January 31 for a girl's night out. I am totally looking forward to staying at the Antheneum again. And also showing my friends how many extras you get by staying at the there, compared to the other two casino hotels.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Atheneum

Reviewed January 5, 2009

A total relic. Glass brick, sad carpet, just ugh. Weird that I would have found that much else to do in a place like Detroit, but as a frequent visitor to the city, I have no problem completely avoiding the Greektown area at this point. Again, hard to believe that dear old Detroit would have a tourist trap neighborhood, but Greektown is it, and boy is it not representative of the best that Detroit has to offer.

I can handle the outmoded look and feel of this property, I suppose, except that staff simply are not good ambassadors for the city, which is actually among the friendliest in the country. I'm not sure you'd be able to tell, at the Atheneum. For nice people and a vibe that feels more 21st than 20th century, book one of the newer properties in town.

Bottom line: It seems that the Atheneum still imagines itself to be the bees knees, downtown-wise. This may have been one of the nicest addresses in the city a few years ago; thank goodness that is no longer the case. Skip it, you'll thank me later.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed one night at the hotel and absolutely loved it! On advice from other Trip Advisors, we asked to have a room in the newly renovated part of the hotel and it was beautiful. The room had a separate sitting area and grand bathroom. A very simple continental breakfast was included in the price - pastry, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. Parking was a little confusing. Go directly across the street and park in the lot which costs $20. Get your ticket and go into the Casino where they will validate it and parking is free for 24 hours. If you need to go in and out, just get a new ticket and go and get it validated each time. Don't pay the hotel $20 to valet park your car since they use the same lot.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 19, 2008

This appears to be an older hotel with suite-style rooms. Be sure you ask for a renovated room, which is what I had. The suites are huge, with two desks, a dresser, large sofa, end tables, coffee table, and large flat screen TV in the "living room" area. The sleeping area, which is down four steps, has a huge bed and another large flat screen TV. Unfortunately both TVs conked out the last night of my stay, as the hotel lost their Comcast signal. The furniture style is dark, big, and old fashioned looking... the sofa was big, but not very comfortable.

Also included with my suite (924) were a huge jacuzzi bathtub and decent sized bathroom/shower. Bath amenities are by Gilchrist & Soames, for whatever that's worth to you.

Room service for dinner was acceptable. However, the hotel is located right in Greektown, so there are many places to eat within an easy walk. No car is needed.

Hotel staff was generally accommodating and nice - no complaints. The conference center staff seemed to go out of their way to take care of our large group of 50 or 60 - much appreciated. We were in the ballroom, which was a big, nice facility.

My rating of Neutral/average isn't intended to convey anything bad about this hotel. I tend to rate on the tough side, I guess, and the older style furniture didn't appeal to me much. Overall, the hotel is fine.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I had the opportunity to stay at this property as a guest of a convention. It is absolutely beautiful. They are under renovation right now...so ASK for a renovated room. They are gorgeous!!
Very HGTV with LARGE plasma tv's in the living room and the bedroom.

That's about where the great designation stops. They missed the bus with me on service. I had a package delivered to the hotel and security called to let me know it was at the desk. When I went to get it some time later, no one could find it. The manager that got involved tried to say that maybe it never came...Security told me, "I can't find it...so I don't know what to tell you." Seriously? That is an answer from a Four Diamond property??
Both management and security got involved looking for it and security delivered it to my room about 20 minutes later. Five minutes after that the manager called to let me know that it could not be found...she was just about to tell me how maybe it didn't come to the hotel when I stopped her to let her know that it was delivered to me. It was there the whole time...and everyone wanted to take the easy way out by telling me something to get me out of the way. Just a little disconnect in the communication I guess. She was apologetic and sent something to me in the room as a gesture of kindness.

Again I was a part of the convention. Though the hotel touts shuttle service and newspapers, we were denied rides to Cobo Hall and USA Today was delivered 1 day only. If you read reviews or call as well you will hear about a continental breakfast which I guess management decided not to offer with our convention being in town. There is no turn down service and no chocolates.
Seems crazy that a downtown property would make exceptions during a convention when I would think conventions in downtown are common. To be honest, just know that the staff will make up the rules as they go along based on their willingness or desire to accommodate at a given moment. Do not expect the same level of service day to day or person to person!!!

Lastly, I was devastated on my day of check out. I left my room earlier than my roommate and I facilitated the payment of the bill. The staff has a new computer system and asks for your patience but they are not flexible even if they make a mistake on it. I guess when I paid the bill even though I told them that someone was in the room...the desk checked me out. This sent a note to housekeeping to clean the room. My roommate was infringed upon 4 times by housekeeping even though the privacy sign was up. At one point she was fresh out of the shower when the housekeeping lady came in...They shut the air off and the final time the housekeeper basically just told my roommate to get her things and leave...they didn't care what was going on. This ALL happened BEFORE the standard check out of noon. That was really embarrassing and rude.

From the hotel perspective just plan to be in a safe, clean and well decorated place with great tv's....and that's going to have to just be enough.

As far as the area, there are some nice restaurants in which to grab some food in and near Greektown. I live in a city where smoking is not allowed in restaurants so I always took my food to go. GREAT deli...a little pricey though..in Greektown. Fishbones is also really good!!

Happy travels!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My stay at The Atheneum in Greektown was a great expierence. The rooms were large and in charge, kinda looked like a room you'd see on Miami Vice. So i guess thats a good thing. The location was stupendous for bumping around the bars, restaurants, and casino in the area. We were there with about seven guys and only paid to have two and no one questioned us or beefed about the noise. So that is a plus for the younger crowd. I would say this is the prime time spot in the Greektown area to stay at.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Traveled with a family of 5 to Detroit for baseball games at Comerica park and some sightseeing. Needed a lot of space for all of us, so the Atheneum seemed attractive. Got a great deal on Expedia for a 2 bed queen suite for $195 per night!

Upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised at how spacious the room was. There was a huge living area with a big flat screen tv, couch (not pull out) and desk in the front area. This living area is separated by a door from the sleeping area. The bathroom was large (however, we were in a handicapped accessible suite so the bathroom may have been smaller in regular suites) and the beds were extremely comfortable. There was another large flat screen tv in the sleeping area, along with plenty of closet and drawer space. All decor was EXTREMELY sleek and modern - it looks like we were in a newly renovated room.

There is a free breakfast at the hotel which ends at 9 every morning. We slept too late to take advantage of it, but it was nice to know it was offered. However, the location of the hotel made it super easy to walk to grab a bite to eat at any time. You are around the block from Greektown (which is really just one block long). Its a lively little area. We got pastries each morning from the Astoria Pastry Shop - which were to DIE for. We also got a late night pizza from Pizza Papalis which is right next door to the pastry shop (both on the Greektown block, a 2 minute walk from the hotel). The pizza was AMAZING chicago style pizza, which made us happy being from Chicago :) Fishbone's is a restaurant attached to the hotel. We tried this one night and the atmosphere is very nice (they have bands playing on Friday and Saturday). You can get seafood, steak or sushi here, and the prices are moderate to high (my scallop dinner with $24). The one complaint we have about Fishbone's is that a bug crawled out of my brother's salad. The waitress quickly took the salad away and offered to bring my brother another dish. We waited 20 minutes for his new dish (a hamburger) and when the bill came, only the salad was removed from the bill. I have never had an experience like this happen to me before, and I'm not sure what the standard thing to do is, but we felt that we shouldn't have been charged for that hamburger, which delayed us a good 20 minutes at dinner. therefore, I cannot highly recommend Fishbone's even though everyone else in my party had no problems.

our main reason for staying here was baseball at Comerica park, and the location could not have been more perfect. We walked about 4 blocks and were right at Comerica park - a very delightful and easy walk. The hotel has a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within 5 miles, but we didnt utilize this. The people mover is around the corner as well, but we didn't use it. The other excursion we made was to The Henry Ford, which we HIGHLY recommend. We spent about 3.5 hours there and didnt even see everything. It's kind of expensive, but very worth it in our opinion. Entertaining and educational. We drove about 25 minutes to get to the Henry Ford. Lots of construction happening in Detroit, so make sure you check your route with hotel staff, who were very friendly and accomodating! Hotel is also across from Greektown casino, which we checked out one night. It was crowded for a Wednesday night, but we enjoyed ourselves. It is 2 stories and provided us with a lot of fun, even though we didnt win.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was modern and sleek looking on the inside and everyone was friendly. Location was perfect for us. The hotel caters to more of a business crowd - and we did not see one child (except for those in our own party ) the whole time we were there. There is no pool or anything, so younger kids may be a little bored if they were to stay here. However the spacious suites are worth it, in our opinion.

We did not like the $20 fee for valet parking , even though the valets were very friendly and helpful. There are also a lot of one way streets around the hotel, so driving to and from the hotel can get confusing. The breakfast ended too early for us, and there was no pool to entertain the children in our group.

All things considered, we highly recommend the Atheneum for a downtown Detroit hotel choice!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)