“Wow, the rooms are apartment sized”
Review of The Atheneum

The Atheneum
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I was not expecting the room to be so large. It was fantastic. The sunken living room was roomy and comfortable. The separate bedroom was very large. Not quite enough lighting in the bedroom though. The bathroom was also very large and comfortable.

It would have been 5 stars, however, the person at the continental breakfast upset me the next morning. Although I completely realize that the cut off was 9 am I would have had zero complaints if they were cleaning up and shutting down. Unfortunately the gentleman in charge of the breakfast took me off guard. He stopped talking to the couple that was still sitting in the room and enjoying their time and stopped my husband and I at the door to tell us it was closed. Another man was making his coffee and I just didn't think twice about grabbing a cup of coffee. The man then proceeded to tell me he will go ahead and give ME 10 minutes to get my coffee. I just felt the encounter was rude since there was another man getting his coffee and a couple still sitting there. At 9 why didn't you kick everyone out and close the doors. The situation rubbed me wrong and although I may return for my visit next year I also would not feel my usual sense of loyalty due to this encounter.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed here on a Saturday night with a group of friends. First off, you can't beat the location - in the heart of Greektown and walking distance to so many great places - especially for the price. Much less than the casino hotel. Attached to Fishbones and literally steps to anywhere in Greektown, or Comerica Park and Ford Field. The rooms are huge! Living area with couch, chairs, and TV, giant bathroom, step down into the bedroom. We had a great view of the casino and People Mover. I have seen some complaints about the noise, and maybe it's not a great choice if you have to get up early for a meeting, but for a fun weekend it was perfect. The valet and bell service was awesome.

One issue - in the morning, there was no hot water! Not great - but the staff was very apologetic and took half the price off of our rooms! What more could you ask for? Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terey D
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I decided on a last minute trip to Detroit for Autorama and our usual go to was sold out. We decided to give The Antheum a try as the price was right and it was close to our destination. We were very pleasantly surprised! The valet parking was $20.00. Everything was very clean and the staff very pleasant. The elevators are all located in the middle with glass backs. I believe all of the rooms were suites and there was plenty of room. The room itself was great! It had a nice sitting room and you walked down some stairs to get to the beds, which have a large window view.

Room Tip: The pillow will a little thin. May need an extra one to be comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CSP532
Reviewed March 9, 2014

While in Detroit for business, I stayed at the Antheneum Hotel. This hotel made a great first impression with the grand lobby. My check-in was smooth; staff were very friendly. My bags were taken to my room for me and I dealt with only polite staff the entire time I was there. I used valet parking which was a nice change for me. I was a bit scared to self-park because I did not know how safe the area was. The continental breakfast is not much, just cereal and pre-wrapped pastries and muffins. There was also fruit a couple of days. There is an attached restaurant that serves breakfast but I did not have breakfast there. The room was huge and the architecture was very interesting with columns in the rooms and stairs down from the living area to the bedroom. The main negative for me was that the ice machine on floor 9 was broken just about the entire time I was there. The last night there, the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night but they quickly got on the speaker and told us we did not need to evacuate. The last morning, I did not have hot water and took a tepid shower. That is not really the way I want to start my day. I mentioned it upon check out and the girl at the desk immediately took off one night of valet parking for my inconvenience. I liked that I did not even have to ask. I loved the character and charm of this hotel. I will return next time I am in town. I just wish they had a bit better breakfast!

Room Tip: I would be sure not to get a room right next to the ice machine! Be sure to ask for a refrigerator a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This hotel is located in greektown, nice area not unsafe. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful in giving us places we could eat during our stay. We went to a red wings game and the hotel provides a shuttle within a 5 mile radius so we were able to take that which was great. The lobby and rooms are a little dark but with enough lights turned on it's fine. At a hotel people should only be there to sleep so I don't know why people complain so much.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank msa05
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My daughter had arranged a surprise B"Day party for me here!!!! All my friends were in the room for the surprise. Everything was so nice and CLEAN ! Service the best. Have to say later in the night (early morning) we had called the front desk to say we wanted to go out to get a breakfast. We were wondering how safe it would be . The desk clerk met us in the lobby and showed us the way to restaurants all around close to go safely.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel is tired and dingy. Good service, but depressing views from windows and inside room. Also room had steps in the middle--not so good if you get up in the middle of the night! I would not return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family