“Great location, nice suite, but just fair” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Atheneum

The Atheneum
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Portland, Texas
“Great location, nice suite, but just fair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The location is great. We stayed here because we were going to a Tigers game and loved that they had a free shuttle (although we ended up just walking because it was a nice night). Only about 6 blocks (or so) away from the stadium.

Make sure you join the IPREFER program before coming as they offer free valet parking ($25 value) as well as free bar drinks and free breakfast at Fishbones for being members.

The hotel rooms were nice. King size bed with bathroom up stairs. The television was only fair though because the stations were fuzzy and not many channels offered.

We got a military rate and with the IPREFER benefits, it made this hotel only average. Would not stay here for full price unless for the location (if going to a game or the casinos).

Room Tip: We had a room on the 6th floor right outside elevators and could hear every elevator that came to th...
2 Thank wigx2154

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Adrian, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

You can't beat the location of this hotel if you are in town for a game, concert or gambling. The area felt safe with plenty of dining and nightlife options. The first impression of the hotel is great but upon entering the rooms you can see that some updating needs to begin, the marble bathroom with oversized tub was awesome though. The price at $170 is kind of high but the location convenience would have me stay here again.

1 Thank MichelleBach
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Unless you have to be in the area where the hotel is located, just try some other option. Indeed, and as mentioned in several reviews, the rooms are quite big, very big, and for someone used to travel to London or NY, the difference is amazing, but this is the only pro I find at this hotel. Rooms are aged and need renovation urgently, and as I mention in other reviews, when there are carpets in the rooms, it must be immaculate clean, and it was not. I hate dirty carpets.

I was in a room in the second floor, very big and spacious, but nearby the elevator, and was able to hear the “tin-tin” (bell) of the elevator, everytime it reached the 2nd floor. That really bothers after some minutes. Because of the architecture of the buiding, by being on the second floor, I could hear the voices (very loud sometimes) of the people talking and laughing at the lobby. My room was overlooking a parking place, and a casino, and during the night I heard all the time noises (cars) and people talking. Since I arrived late in the evening, ordered food to the room (a salad with a dessert) + a diet soft drink. When the guy comes, besides to the fact that he was not happy because I did not add more tip to the 18% compulsory service charge the hotel includes on the bill (what is the tip) and he showed me that he was not satisfied with this. Once he leaves, I realize that, instead of my diet soft-drink, he brought a regular one, and just one knife and one fork, meaning, nothing to eat the dessert. I called the room service number, asked to send a person to change my drink and with a spoon or a fork for my dessert. They told me the´re coming immediately….but after 20 minutes nobody came. I decided to wash the fork I had and take a water from the mini-bar. Bad service. To finalize my bad experience at this hotel, my room was located nearby a conference/meeting room, and at the other day, very early in the morning, hotel staff started to prepare the room for some event, moving chairs and tables, talking very loud and making a lot of noise. They simple woke me up much earlier than the time I needed. All that....happened in a 14 hours stay, because I arived one day by 9PM and left the day after by 11AM. Very bad experience.

All in all, first and last stay here. I travel to Detroit once a year, therefore now I have enough time to think about where I´ll stay on my next year´s trip, and make a timely booking to assure a decent hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Marion, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

thanks for reading this review. Our stay was one night (Saturday) Valet parked the car they very nice about greeting us. Check-in went fine and no problems. Our room was 303 on the quiet side of the hotel..... we'll get to that in a bit. first the suite was two large rooms. There were 3 steps down into the bedroom area. there was a door that closed off the bedroom from the front room. the bathroom was nice. Plenty of hot water. The room was clean and we didn't smell any odors. As others have said it has some issues with age, but nothing that was gross. The bed was just ok .

Now my problems first the hotel had no control over that was there were people yelling and screaming in the street until 4am there was a downtown hoe down at the ballpark......

The heater/ac unit not in our room but in the room beside ours was so loud I thought I was in a propeller driven airplane....it vibrated the entire wall.... I never experienced anything quite like it and it never shut off....ugh.........so between yelling in the street and the ac/heater we didn't get a lot of rest........ I would not pay full price to stay here... if you can get a good deal then try it out.....the cost of our room $189+ almost $40 in taxes and I thought taxes here in Ohio were bad......

Portage, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel located in Greektown next to the Greektown Casino. Large two room suites. The hotel seems to be showing some age. Went with a group for business and the rates were very reasonable. Staff was very friendly. Also they will shuttle you on their bus up to 5 miles.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony194
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Atheneum is conveniently located in Greektown. The suites sleep four or five comfortably and have a unique design with stairs separating the living room from bedroom. The bathroom has a funky glass block shower.

The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and the prices are quite reasonable. This is our first choice when traveling to Detroit.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank TravelingFromChicago
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great value for the price. The room was big, clean, and conveniently located for dinning and a Tigers game afterwards. The staff were exceedingly kind and helpful, and the fact that the hotel connects with Fishbones (a great place in Greektown) made it a great choice for a night's stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo