The Atheneum
  • Restaurant
$179
$160
Travelocity
All reviewsgreektown casinoglass blockfishbones restaurantsitting roombedroom arealarge bathroomfree shuttledeep tubpeople movervalet parkingford fieldflat screencontinental breakfastshuttle servicehotel shuttlebeautiful hotelthe entire hotel
Reviewed June 7, 2013

thanks for reading this review. Our stay was one night (Saturday) Valet parked the car they very nice about greeting us. Check-in went fine and no problems. Our room was 303 on the quiet side of the hotel..... we'll get to that in a bit. first the suite was two large rooms. There were 3 steps down into the bedroom area. there was a door that closed off the bedroom from the front room. the bathroom was nice. Plenty of hot water. The room was clean and we didn't smell any odors. As others have said it has some issues with age, but nothing that was gross. The bed was just ok .

Now my problems first the hotel had no control over that was there were people yelling and screaming in the street until 4am there was a downtown hoe down at the ballpark......

The heater/ac unit not in our room but in the room beside ours was so loud I thought I was in a propeller driven airplane....it vibrated the entire wall.... I never experienced anything quite like it and it never shut off....ugh.........so between yelling in the street and the ac/heater we didn't get a lot of rest........ I would not pay full price to stay here... if you can get a good deal then try it out.....the cost of our room $189+ almost $40 in taxes and I thought taxes here in Ohio were bad......

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel located in Greektown next to the Greektown Casino. Large two room suites. The hotel seems to be showing some age. Went with a group for business and the rates were very reasonable. Staff was very friendly. Also they will shuttle you on their bus up to 5 miles.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anthony194
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Atheneum is conveniently located in Greektown. The suites sleep four or five comfortably and have a unique design with stairs separating the living room from bedroom. The bathroom has a funky glass block shower.

The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and the prices are quite reasonable. This is our first choice when traveling to Detroit.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank TravelingFromChicago
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great value for the price. The room was big, clean, and conveniently located for dinning and a Tigers game afterwards. The staff were exceedingly kind and helpful, and the fact that the hotel connects with Fishbones (a great place in Greektown) made it a great choice for a night's stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at the Atheneum on a Thursday evening for business. At midnight I was woke by a huge party next door to my room. The music, screaming, TV, and banging of the doors was so loud I couldn't even drown it out with my TV and and Air Conditioner on at the same time.

At 12:15am, I decided to call the front desk. They said that they would send security up. A half an hour went by and security never came nor did the party die down. I called the front desk again and they said that they didn't know where security went (that doesn't make me feel very safe).

Finally at 1am, I decided to pack all my things and go. As I was leaving my hall and getting ready to get on the elevator, two security guards were heading my way. I grabbed them and told them about the situation. They told me they couldn't hear anything and asked to come in my room to hear (not comfortable with this at all). When they entered they said that they didn't hear anything. I have no idea what he was talking about because the sound was so loud that I could hardly hear him. As he was leaving my room, about 15 high school aged kids were leaving the room next door screaming, with bottles of liquor in their hands, and half clothed. At this point, the security guard said something and that was it.

I went back to my room and 15 minutes later the party started again.

I packed and went to the front desk and told them again about the situation. They switched my room and said that these were just prom kids having fun...that their parents bought them a bunch of rooms and "what can you do?" Such an unprofessional thing to say to a business traveler at 2am that has a meeting at 7:30am.

Needless to say, I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business