“Wonderful!”
Review of The Atheneum

The Atheneum
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I work in Detroit and know it's not a very appealing city for tourism. But this hotel is the jem of the city! My brother got married at The Whitney and we all booked rooms at The Atheneum for after. What a perfect choice. The location is great, the rooms are wonderful, comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, 2 huge plasma TV's and a separate bedroom. The service was great. Well except for the bartender but he must have been having a bad day. The layout of the guest room floors are so nice and not typical of hotels. Lots of greenery and hallways that are well laid out around a central elevator bank. We were all on the 9th floor which made it fun for the wedding guests. The only complaint I have, and it's not to this hotel specifically, is there is no pool. We had lots of younger people as wedding guests and we would have liked a pool. However, this is typical for the hotels in Detroit. We couldn't find one of the nicer hotels that had a pool.

Anyway, despite all of that it was a great stay. We didn't want to leave and we only live 30 miles away so it takes a lot for me to pay to stay in a hotel that close to home. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank March1970

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Fantastic location to get to the Greektown Casino (and really any event downtown). Save yourself a few bucks and self park at the garage across the street. I was in town for business, so I was the only person in the HUGE suite. Wow. Luxurious, clean, quiet, comfortable. The staff was very nice and friendly. Continental breakfast in the morning which was appreciated. I also used the hotel gym, small but all the cardio machines a person needs to break a sweat. Great price for the accommodations. Fishbones which is attached to the hotel has great food and is extremely convenient.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LHunker
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Luxurious accommodations at a reasonable cost. Walking distance to many restaurants and greektown casino. Clean rooms, friendly staff. I would definitely return. Make sure to eat at fishbones & the Mexican restaurant down the street.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have now stayed here three times, twice in summer and once in winter, and find it consistently great. Staff are totally helpful, location is perfect for baseball/football/theatre/concerts downtown. Valet parking is very convenient. Be sure to take advantage of their free shuttle service to get to/from the local nighttime events safely and quickly.
The suites are beautifully decorated, large and quiet.
There are also a number of highly rated restaurants close by.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank archar
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We always stay downtown for the St. Pats festivities and this year we decided to stay at the Atheneum. We had some 'luck' and got the room on an Internet special so it was only $130 which was a wonderful price for this hotel. The front desk was friendly and helpful and told us about some of the surrounding points of interest, which we knew but still thought it was nice. Limited number of rooms on each floor which is nice because you don't have to walk far to reach your room. Our suite was very clean and spacious. We also had a very nice view of downtown. Some issues that we had were small but could be fixed ie: some of the tv stations were a bit choppy, the bathroom doesn't have an exhaust fan and the walls could use a bit more sound proofing. Overall, we both had a nice stay and would stay again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked a one-night stay at the last minute. The room was superb -- comfy bed, fancy bathroom, two big TVs. I interacted with a few staff members, who ranged in personality from superbly helpful to mildly surly. My biggest critique, though, is that there was no vending machine. I get that it's a fancy hotel and they'd rather me use the minibar. Usually when this happens, I'll just walk to a CVS and buy what I want there. That wasn't an option here, and as a result I was out of luck. A can of Coke just isn't worth $4.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mkirbys
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We came to Detroit on 3/9/13 with another couple to go sight seeing and go to a Red Wings game over the weekend. My husband and I have family close by where we usually stay, but because we came with another couple, we decided to stay downtown (something we had never done before). My brother works for the owner of the Atheneum (also the owner of the Fish Bones restaurant), so we actually got a deal on this room. We paid $140 and were upgrade to a "Premium Suite". When the room was booked, it was made known that there were 4 people staying in the room, and we would need 2 beds.
We checked in as usual, and again, there were 4 of us when we checked in. We walked into the room which I actually thought looked very modern and was well decorated. The problem is that there was only 1 king sized bed. We thought this was strange but because we got a "deal" on the room, we decided that the other couple would sleep on the pull out couch. SURPRISE! There is NO pull out couch in the room.
I called down to the front desk and the man I spoke to already knew why I was calling, before I even said a word. He said "This is the best room we could get for you especially since you got such a big discount." I asked if there was cots or a rollaway bed or something that we could use. His response was "No. The best I can do is send up blankets and pillows." Of course he did NOT tell us this when we checked in, before we gave him our credit card. Someone brought up 2 blankets and 2 pillows. No sheets.
At this point I was VERY irritated because we couldn't even sleep 4 people in this room. Our friends are very laid back, and decided that they would "construct" themselves a bed out of the furniture in the room, stating "Hopefully we'll drink enough tonight, we won't even notice!" This "bed" consisted of a large ottoman and 2 chairs pushed up against the couch in the room. That is the picture you can see that I attached.
We made it work. Everyone slept as well as possible (besides the yelling in the hall in the middle of the night from the party-ers) and we decided not to let it get us down. In the morning, we started moving the furniture back where it belonged when we found a USED CONDOM under the coffee table on the floor. I have also attached a picture of that. It was SO gross. We all were so disgusted, we decided not to shower, packed up and got out of the room as quick as possible.
My husband went down to check out, and asked to speak to the manager about all the problems we've had. The best they could do was give us free valet parking ($20), because we got "such a good deal on the room already".
I have never been so grossed out or disappointed in a hotel I've stayed at. Next time we will stay with our family again!
The owner of the hotel has already been informed of these issues.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends