“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Saginaw
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was a quick trip to Detroit for a Red Wing game. We hadn't stayed at this particular hotel in a number of years but my memory of the property was good. We valet parked and it was quick and efficient, even though the valet staff was extremely busy at the time of our arrival. The front desk associate informed of the hotel's complimentary shuttle that would take us anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel and she also suggested several nearby restaurants. Our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The room had a large work area, plenty of electrical outlets, a large couch and a flat screen television in the living area. The sleep area had two queen beds, plenty of storage and closet space and another flat screen TV. The bathroom was large and stocked with an array of personal care items. This hotel is located in the heart of Greek Town which is near many of Detroit's most popular attractions and venues. It is a bit of a hike to Joe Louis Areana but there are also many affordable (and free) transportation options. We took one of the free shuttles to Joe Louis Areana and after the game we took the People Mover (75 cents per person) back to Greek Town. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay. The price per room is in the $135 to $200 per night range.

1 Thank Robert Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Akron, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were here for the auto show - just stayed one night. Contrary to the other recent reviews, our stay was flawless. The hotel is nice, and we were in a very clean suite that was a good value for the money. The staff were all courteous, we got free shuttle rides to the auto show - no problems at all. The only negative of sorts is the continental breakfast - it is free but is exceedingly limited (smallest breakfast selection I think I've ever seen, actually.) Otherwise, great!

One tip - on some sites it's suggested you can park in the Greektown lot for free rather than pay the $20 valet charge here. This may be true on some occasions, but not during special events (eg the auto show), when they charge $20 as well - so you may as well go with the in/out privileges of this hotel.

2 Thank Wombatter
Fenton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We usually stay at the Inn on Ferry Street, but our son convinced us to give the Atheneum a try. We checked in on Friday, Dec.28th at around 2:00. The valet, doorman, and desk staff were all cheerful and professional. On a number of occasions the person manning the desk was very helpful with information about locations, directions and transportation information. The rooms are interesting - dark, with lots of glass block and pillars. The bathroom is great, with a huge soaking tub. There are 3-4 stairs from the living room level to the bedroom. We both enjoyed the atmosphere of the suites, the lobby and like having Fishbones restaurant accessible through the hotel. The complimentary shuttle service doesn't run on a particular schedule, so be careful if you're using it to attend a timed event.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hazbro
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hoping to spend an enjoyable night @ the hotel with my boyfriend.....
Surprised this hotel is listed as a 4 star, on arrival no one offered to help us with our bags. The front desk agent, Radiana did not even look up at us when we checked in. There was no friendly welcome. Our first room wasn't clean so we ended up changing rooms. The rooms are outdated, not very clean, we were awakened to doors slamming all night. There is no security in the hotel to stop random people from walking in off the street. Outside our room someone left chicken bones on the floor. The walls are so thin I heard every orgasm the persons next to us experienced. We would have come out better staying at the Marriott or the casino. The rooms there are clean and updated and quieter. Do not stay here.

1 Thank Lock48075
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The staff at this hotel are the worst I have ever dealt with. I am Canadian and don't travel to Detroit very often but I would rather sleep in my car then stay at this hotel again. I arrived on Saturday evening to party with friends and go to the Lions Game, I entered the hotel and was very rudely approached by a staff member DEMANDING to see what was in my cooler and luggage. I was amazed at how rude the guy was, apparently there is some law that you can't have booze in the hotel (even in your room). I only had 3 cans of beer and some medication in the cooler but I refused to allow the guy to SEARCH my luggage of cooler, I really didn't care about the beer but it's none of the hotel's business what medication I am taking. The staff member accused me of lying and said he would have me thrown out of my room if I didn't let him examine my luggage. Apparently the "land of the free" doesn't apply to hotel guests at the Athenueum.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank A R
Clinton Twp.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived to waiting in the lobby in line to check in. It was 3:45 pm, check in is 3 pm. The polite young lady at the counter asked us to step aside because our room wasn't ready, it woould be a few minutes but her manager was working on it. After waiting several minutes we asked to speak to the manager. This anger, rude, obnoxious man named Leo came out. He had no idea that we where waiting on our room, didn't care explaining that "my house was full last night and my staff can't clean everything by 3pm. I don't care what you were told and I don't know when your room will be ready". We decided to leave as therewas no guarntee of a room and this manager does not belong in hospitality. We were told we would NOT be charged. However, Leo refused to give any proof or paperwork to us or refund our card. Guess what??? There was a charge to our credit card for $75 more then the room price!! We had to call our credit card company and dispute the charges. This was our first visit and we won't be staying in Detroit ever again!!!!

Room Tip: Spend a few more dollars and stay next door in the casion. They take care of their customers....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank daconut
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is an interesting hotel, somewhere between the modern Marriott and the grand old dame hotel....lobby highly impressive, rooms/suites huge and on multi levels, however, the TV from the room next door was very audible very late at night, and the hotel obliged immediately and allowed me to move to a different and much quieter suite. It was quite grand and very spacious, I would certainly stay here again. The decor was a little "men's club" style in the suites, rather dark, leather, dark woods.

Room Tip: Ask for 1 of the suites where the bedroom is not next to the bedroom of the suite next door because...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business