“Excellent location.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Fenton, Michigan
“Excellent location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We usually stay at the Inn on Ferry Street, but our son convinced us to give the Atheneum a try. We checked in on Friday, Dec.28th at around 2:00. The valet, doorman, and desk staff were all cheerful and professional. On a number of occasions the person manning the desk was very helpful with information about locations, directions and transportation information. The rooms are interesting - dark, with lots of glass block and pillars. The bathroom is great, with a huge soaking tub. There are 3-4 stairs from the living room level to the bedroom. We both enjoyed the atmosphere of the suites, the lobby and like having Fishbones restaurant accessible through the hotel. The complimentary shuttle service doesn't run on a particular schedule, so be careful if you're using it to attend a timed event.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hazbro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hoping to spend an enjoyable night @ the hotel with my boyfriend.....
Surprised this hotel is listed as a 4 star, on arrival no one offered to help us with our bags. The front desk agent, Radiana did not even look up at us when we checked in. There was no friendly welcome. Our first room wasn't clean so we ended up changing rooms. The rooms are outdated, not very clean, we were awakened to doors slamming all night. There is no security in the hotel to stop random people from walking in off the street. Outside our room someone left chicken bones on the floor. The walls are so thin I heard every orgasm the persons next to us experienced. We would have come out better staying at the Marriott or the casino. The rooms there are clean and updated and quieter. Do not stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lock48075
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The staff at this hotel are the worst I have ever dealt with. I am Canadian and don't travel to Detroit very often but I would rather sleep in my car then stay at this hotel again. I arrived on Saturday evening to party with friends and go to the Lions Game, I entered the hotel and was very rudely approached by a staff member DEMANDING to see what was in my cooler and luggage. I was amazed at how rude the guy was, apparently there is some law that you can't have booze in the hotel (even in your room). I only had 3 cans of beer and some medication in the cooler but I refused to allow the guy to SEARCH my luggage of cooler, I really didn't care about the beer but it's none of the hotel's business what medication I am taking. The staff member accused me of lying and said he would have me thrown out of my room if I didn't let him examine my luggage. Apparently the "land of the free" doesn't apply to hotel guests at the Athenueum.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank A R
Clinton Twp.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived to waiting in the lobby in line to check in. It was 3:45 pm, check in is 3 pm. The polite young lady at the counter asked us to step aside because our room wasn't ready, it woould be a few minutes but her manager was working on it. After waiting several minutes we asked to speak to the manager. This anger, rude, obnoxious man named Leo came out. He had no idea that we where waiting on our room, didn't care explaining that "my house was full last night and my staff can't clean everything by 3pm. I don't care what you were told and I don't know when your room will be ready". We decided to leave as therewas no guarntee of a room and this manager does not belong in hospitality. We were told we would NOT be charged. However, Leo refused to give any proof or paperwork to us or refund our card. Guess what??? There was a charge to our credit card for $75 more then the room price!! We had to call our credit card company and dispute the charges. This was our first visit and we won't be staying in Detroit ever again!!!!

Room Tip: Spend a few more dollars and stay next door in the casion. They take care of their customers....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank daconut
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is an interesting hotel, somewhere between the modern Marriott and the grand old dame hotel....lobby highly impressive, rooms/suites huge and on multi levels, however, the TV from the room next door was very audible very late at night, and the hotel obliged immediately and allowed me to move to a different and much quieter suite. It was quite grand and very spacious, I would certainly stay here again. The decor was a little "men's club" style in the suites, rather dark, leather, dark woods.

Room Tip: Ask for 1 of the suites where the bedroom is not next to the bedroom of the suite next door because...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank travelwriterBoston
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at the Atheneum one night and found the level of amenities superb. The price was very reasonable and I felt like I was staying in a Marriott for a Courtyard price. I would stay there again without hesitation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

A great romantic escape. The King suites have large jacuzzi tubs and there are many nice restaurants within walking distance. There are also major venues within walking distance including The Fox, Ford Field, Comerica Park , the Opera House and the Gem Theater. The hotel is clean and the staff is pleasant. If you take a minute and join the I Prefer program on line you get a couple additional perks such as free parking, free breakfast coupons and a free cocktail in the bar.

A great place to get away and recharge your battery at an affordable price in a great area.

• Stayed November 2012