New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
London, Canada
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The staff at this hotel are the worst I have ever dealt with. I am Canadian and don't travel to Detroit very often but I would rather sleep in my car then stay at this hotel again. I arrived on Saturday evening to party with friends and go to the Lions Game, I entered the hotel and was very rudely approached by a staff member DEMANDING to see what was in my cooler and luggage. I was amazed at how rude the guy was, apparently there is some law that you can't have booze in the hotel (even in your room). I only had 3 cans of beer and some medication in the cooler but I refused to allow the guy to SEARCH my luggage of cooler, I really didn't care about the beer but it's none of the hotel's business what medication I am taking. The staff member accused me of lying and said he would have me thrown out of my room if I didn't let him examine my luggage. Apparently the "land of the free" doesn't apply to hotel guests at the Athenueum.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank A R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Clinton Twp.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived to waiting in the lobby in line to check in. It was 3:45 pm, check in is 3 pm. The polite young lady at the counter asked us to step aside because our room wasn't ready, it woould be a few minutes but her manager was working on it. After waiting several minutes we asked to speak to the manager. This anger, rude, obnoxious man named Leo came out. He had no idea that we where waiting on our room, didn't care explaining that "my house was full last night and my staff can't clean everything by 3pm. I don't care what you were told and I don't know when your room will be ready". We decided to leave as therewas no guarntee of a room and this manager does not belong in hospitality. We were told we would NOT be charged. However, Leo refused to give any proof or paperwork to us or refund our card. Guess what??? There was a charge to our credit card for $75 more then the room price!! We had to call our credit card company and dispute the charges. This was our first visit and we won't be staying in Detroit ever again!!!!

Room Tip: Spend a few more dollars and stay next door in the casion. They take care of their customers....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank daconut
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is an interesting hotel, somewhere between the modern Marriott and the grand old dame hotel....lobby highly impressive, rooms/suites huge and on multi levels, however, the TV from the room next door was very audible very late at night, and the hotel obliged immediately and allowed me to move to a different and much quieter suite. It was quite grand and very spacious, I would certainly stay here again. The decor was a little "men's club" style in the suites, rather dark, leather, dark woods.

Room Tip: Ask for 1 of the suites where the bedroom is not next to the bedroom of the suite next door because...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank travelwriterBoston
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at the Atheneum one night and found the level of amenities superb. The price was very reasonable and I felt like I was staying in a Marriott for a Courtyard price. I would stay there again without hesitation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

A great romantic escape. The King suites have large jacuzzi tubs and there are many nice restaurants within walking distance. There are also major venues within walking distance including The Fox, Ford Field, Comerica Park , the Opera House and the Gem Theater. The hotel is clean and the staff is pleasant. If you take a minute and join the I Prefer program on line you get a couple additional perks such as free parking, free breakfast coupons and a free cocktail in the bar.

A great place to get away and recharge your battery at an affordable price in a great area.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Toddamy
Port Huron, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is the ceond time we have stayed at the Atheneum in Detroit for a little getaway. The jacuzzi rooms are large and updated. We were given some nice upgrades because we signed up for their "I prefer" program...free parking, one free drink, two breakfast vouchures. It is in beautiful Greektown and we were within a few minutes of the casino. A nice getaway!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank funfamily20
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We travelled from London, Ontario to Detroit to see a show at the Masonic Temple. We were unfamiliar with the area and unsure on where to stay for the night. We booked at the Atheneum Hotel based on the fact that the hotel was close to the venue and the price for our one night stay was reasonable and we're glad that we did! The hotel room was huge, the hotel was clean and the staff were great. The hotel is situation within walking distance to a variety of restaurants and night clubs as well as the Greektown Casino, which is worth checking out. We had a great time and we would stay at this hotel again especially considering the price compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple