“Only stay here if you party all night!”
Review of The Atheneum

The Atheneum
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Ontario
“Only stay here if you party all night!”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in November 2011 with my young son. We were in Detroit for a football game and this hotel was within walking distance of Ford Field. The hotel is very nice, the rooms were clean, and the staff was friendly. The worst part of the stay, and of our trip, were the nights at the hotel. Our room was directly across from a nightclub that blasted its music so loud that it felt like it was in the next room. We could hear the DJ talking, word for word. The first night I called down to the front desk and was told the music would stop at 2am. However, it was 2:30am before it stopped, then it was a half hour of honking horns and drunk people partying. Soundproofing within the hotel wasn't good either; we heard the conversation of the people directly below us until approximately 3am. So we didn't get much sleep that night which is annoying when you pay $140 for the room. The next morning I asked to switch rooms so that we didn't have the same problem. The girl at the desk said that since it was a Sunday night, there wouldn't be any noise. I foolishly believed her. The music stopped that night at 2am. By the end of the trip, we were exhausted (especially my son) and it put a real damper on the things we were in Detroit to do. I'm not sure what the hotel can do to fix this, other than give families rooms far away from that side of the hotel. Or at least tell you when you book your room that you will be basically staying in a disco until 3am!!!!!
The breakfast buffet at Fishbones was HORRIBLE. It cost us $30 (no drinks) and this is the selection we had: 3 types of fruit sliced up; 1 type of egg (scrambled); soggy toast; good bacon; stale croissants; and overcooked potatoes/hash browns. Many people came in, looked at the selection, and left. We heard waitresses in the kitchen asking "whose idea was it to do the buffet, it's awful". If we hadn't been so tired from our sleepless night, we would have gone somewhere else.
On the upside, the free shuttle was excellent. It took us where we wanted to go and brought us back promptly. Shaq, our driver, was very helpful and friendly. He and his shuttle were the best part of our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that do not face nightclubs, especially on weekends.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Toronto
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Great service from my first phone call -- I called in the morning looking for a room, and they immediately got one set up for me and let me check in early at 11:00 a.m. Curtis is a treasure -- he brought my bags up, showed me around the room, offered a refrigerator, pointed out where things were, etc. Throughout my stay, he always greeted me with a huge smile and stopped to answer my questions & chat, and gave me a big hug when I left -- talk about making people feel at home! The front desk staff was similarly welcoming and informative. Just great people throughout.

The decor throughout is contemporary, sophisticated, and gorgeous. The lobby area is fabulous with a Greek theme, and a really nice bar area with sofas and comfortable seating. Coming back to the suite felt like coming to our own little apartment in the city. Great internet connection, nice desk, two flat screen TVs, comfortable beds, lots of pillow options, great view from floor to ceiling windows in the bedroom. I especially loved the bathroom -- a deep, soaking tub set in marble. 24 hour room service, a great restaurant attached.

It's across from a PeopleMover station, but they'd just offer to take us places in the hotel van.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
canada
Reviewed October 31, 2011

As someone who travels frequently, I am often looking for the best value. Because of this, I often rely on chain hotels that I am familiar with. They usually offer the things that I need for a low price. During my stay in Detroit, I decided I wanted a change of scenery and chose The Atheneum rather than my usual chain. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is gorgeous! The ambiance of the greek architecture was a nice touch. The hotel was quite busy but this did not deter the staff from their very pleasant demenor. The valet service was impeccable. For the amount of people waiting for their vehicles after the NFL game on Sunday, we actually had very little wait time. The valet service was prompt and efficient in their service. Although they were extremely busy and many people were stopping them to ask questions, they delivered with smiling faces.
The rooms were beautiful. We had a separate "living room" attached to the rest of our suite. The decor was true to the theme of the hotel and the bathrooms were quite large. My only complaint was that the walls are very thin and we could hear our neighbors conversations in full!
The hotel also has a restaurant attached. Fishbone's is a wonderful dining experience with a full menu sure to whet the palate of any kind. I recommend the New Orleans Crawfish and the Bay Scallops.
The Atheneum is in the heart of many of the downtown Detroit attractions. It is within walking distance of Ford Field, Comerica Park, and adjacent to Greektown and its casinos.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed at the Atheneum on Saturday night for a wedding, which itself was at the hotel as well. Overall, the hotel was great - the rooms were nice, the located was great and the venue for the wedding was phenomenal. It was very easy to get to Greektown and the casino - you don't have to do too much walking, especially in the Michigan weather!

Rooms are great - they are "suite style" with a living room type section and a lowered "bedroom." Two flat screen TVs - TVs were nice, but the remote controls were annoying because there was a huge lag between pressing a the button and the reaction from the TV.

Overall, a great stay and I can definitely see myself staying here again. The one downside was (not the Hotel's fault) - 18 Percent TAX on all Downtown Detroit Hotels.

That was pretty ridiculous.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Swartz Creek, Michigan
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed there recently with my sisters,daughter and nieces. We all loved it. We loved our rooms and we especially loved the shuttle service. It took us anywhere we wanted to go within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. The staff was wonderful and the restaurants around the area were great. We also liked the Greek Town Casino. We will definately come back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Corte Madera, California
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed at the Atheneum for my 50th High School Reunion instead of in a motel closer to all of the reunion events. I valeted my rental car and felt much safer pulling up to the front door of the hotel instead of the darkness around a motel in some unknown area.
The doormen and the parking guys were super nice and double quick.
I loved the room and the bed was really comfortable.
One of the doormen sent me to the Ham Shop just around the corner for breakfast......it was very good and very reasonable. Try it!
I had dinner twice in the week that I was there at Pegasus the Greek restaurant out the back door of the hotel, down to the corner and walk down the block. It helps being Greek I enjoyed it more than most people.
All in all, should I return to Detroit, I would definitely make this hotel my base. It was terrific!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2011

the deluxe room was hugeeee, i loved that it had a living room area away from the bed room. the bathroom was huge, and the beds were extremely comfy.

nice that there were 2 huge flat screens as well. lots of room. view .. could be better, but this was the last room and luckily we snagged it! fit all 8 of us comfortably :) hahaha

location was awesome too! only steps away from the downtown area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends