“Big city lunch counter”

Lafayette Coney Island
Ranked #4 of 1,095 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Fast Food, Diner
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
estados unidos
“Big city lunch counter”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

A real workingmans place. Reminds me of places I used to see outside shipyards and factory gates. Since this place is a Detroit institution thought I'd give it a try. A little better dog and sauce than next door and better than the "retro" place I went to in the burbs, but come on a chili dog is a chili dog. I used to get 2 for a dollar wrapped in saran wrap off the lunch truck on the construction site. They were just as good when I was poor and hungry. Nobody is here to kiss your behind. Service is fast and matter of fact. I wasn't thirsty but I hope the beer is cold for next time. Oh yea, Holly gives it five grease stains.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank latefordinner

Toronto, Canada
“Lafayette Coney Island is only a four because.....”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I love my hot dogs. I love my chili. Now put them together. Oh Yeah!!!! Got to love this Detroit tradition of Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island. I loved both places. The atmosphere and history oozes out into the experience, the enjoyment of taking in a good ole fashioned Coney dog. Tasty, well cooked with a smooth chili the Coney at Lafayette is solid. The mustard to tasty, though similar to the chili, is very good, but if you want a little more bite, then American Coney Island is your choice. For me, that's why Lafayette is only a four, not a five rating. I had to rate one place higher than the other. They are both splendid. Both had great friendly service. In fact, I like the atmosphere a little more at Lafayette Coney Island because it is more of a diner style feeling. A place where locals would go discuss issues. That sort of thing appeals to me. However, the slight difference in the taste of the food gives Lafayette Coney Island a lower score for me. Nonetheless, it is a Detroit must-do, this Coney dog challenge. Take the challenge and see what works for you!! You will not be disappointed. The good thing is that Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island are located within walking distance of Ford Field, Comerica Park and Joe Louis Arena which gives the perfect opportunity to take this challenge. Make it part of a fun sports outing and you cannot go wrong!

• Visited January 2013
Madrid, Spain
“Not very clean...”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The coney´s were delicious. They had sort of a kick to them that I hadn't anticipated. However, the service was slow, the server didn't come by to take our order until about ten minutes after we sat down. The food comes out fast. But... the walls are dirty, the whole place just really needs a good clean- down.

• Visited December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“best coney in detroit. period.”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

this place is the original. and it still looks like it. best coneys in town and a great people watching spot. gotta love the old-timer waiters who can carry 20 coneys and two chili cheese fries to the tables, stacked and balanced down both arms, while singing sinatra (or whatever they were singing). come for the food and come back for the show. one of my absolute favorite spots in the motor city. (a short walk from comerica park and ford field).

Visited December 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went to both Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island to see which one really is the "Best Coney Island in Detroit." My husband and I were so excited to do this after seeing the story featured on an episode of Man vs. Food. Our winner = Lafayette Coney Island!! Not only was the food better, we enjoyed the original feel of the restaurant. American Coney Island was more commercialized.

• Visited July 2012