“Peace and Quiet”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 24, 2011

After my trip to Amsterdam got cancelled I found myself unable to return home and basically stuck in Detroit. The Quality Inn Delta agreed to put me up in was not high on my list, since I had stayed there before. I decided to walk 100 feet to the Westin in Terminal A instead.
To my surprise, it was reasonably priced and they had a room available.
Checkin was quick and friendly, Room service was top notch, and the bed was among the most comfortable I have experienced. The most outstanding feature was the QUIET room...I mean, TOMB kinda quiet!!! I slept better than I do at home!
I will stay there whenever DTW is my destination.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MGreen41048
There are newer reviews for The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport

Reviewed January 24, 2011

Smooth (late) check-in. As usual the bed was comfortable and clean as was the rest of the room.

The only reason I give this a 4* (on this stay) was the service in the restaurant was abysmal. I waited 5 minutes to be seated (with only about 6 other tables filled) and I had asked the chef (exposed kitchen) what time breakfast was over and she said I had plenty of time. The hostess gave me a lunch menu. When I got up to find someone to get a breakfast menu nobody was ANYWHERE to be found - I had to venture in the back to find someone. I was then told by the waitress that breakfast was over, I told her the chef just told me no problem so she went back and then came out and handed me a breakfast menu. After the waitress took my order, I didn't see her again until she processed my check (I had to ask someone else for it and then started roaming around looking for my waitress). I think they were all in the back preparing for the changeover to lunch but even folks who sat down after me were ordering breakfast so maybe they should just focus on one thing at a time.

Check-out was a bit delayed - there was only one woman checking people out and no line for Starwood members. Overall she was very pleasant and apologized for the delays.

If you are flying Delta and not checking a bag, you'd be a fool not to stay here with the separate security entrance and the ability to print boarding passes right in the lobby. Even if you don't fall into this category I see no reason to stay elsewhere - comfortable and clean beds, great shower and if you're there on the right nights, an excellent value.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RIGuy1024
Management response:Responded January 28, 2011

Thank you for the time and consideration to share your recent experience with us. Being connected inside the Delta McNamara terminal is indeed convenient given that The Westin Detroit has its own TSA checkpoint adjacent to the front desk.

I am sorry to hear of your breakfast experience in our restaurant, DEMA. We pride ourselves on providing instinctive service and clearly we fell short of the mark here. In December, Esquire magazine rated DEMA in the top-ten airport restaurants in the world and we will be certain to use this constructive feedback as a continuing learning opportunity.

John Ford, Director of Operations

Reviewed January 20, 2011

The Westin couldn't have made the park 'n' fly system any easier. You pull up out the front of the hotel which is attached to the airport. The valet takes your car and parks the vehicle. Then you enter an oasis of quiet in the midst of a busy airport. The service was extremely good. You walk directly through to the airport without having to go outside which is fantastic in the middle of winter! They even have their own private airport security check to enter the airport if you have no bags to check. They have self check-in computer terminals in the hotel lobby and adjacent gate/flight information. It was all very reasonably priced - it would probably cost more to park your car without this accommodation. When you return, the valet goes and gets your vehicle and brings it to the front door for you. Just so easy when you are arriving late at night and have a long drive ahead of you. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SAGlobetrotters
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Equipment delays by the airline caused me to miss my connecting flight. Though I was given a voucher for another hotel, I chose the convenience of the Westin DTW Airport. I was pretty grumpy about missing my flight, but the hotel experience made the delay a delight. The staff at check-in was friendly and helpful. The hotel lobby was gorgeous and my room incredibly nice and comfortable. And quiet - no evidence that the hotel is in the middle of a major airport. While the quality of the food at the bar was only so-so, the service was quick and friendly. The next morning, I got up, checked out easily and was on my way to my destination through the hotel-only airport security line.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2011

From the moment you enter this hotel, you forget you are in a busy airport. The Westin Hotel is absolutely fabulous. The customer service is fantastic, and the rooms are spacious with the most comfortable bed. The food in the resturant was gourmet. Loved the fitness center. Just a truely enjoyable experience. I know I will stay their on my next business trip.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2011

This hotel is a must for anyone, that has a flight leaving Detroit. The penny a day parking package is too good too be true. It is always so nice to pull up to the front door and have your car parked and luggage looked after. It seems that your vacation has already started. The staff is second to none as I have stayed here many times and they are always so friendly and helpful. this hotel is a credit to the Westin/Sheraton chain

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2011

The people that work in the hotel are very friendly and accommodating. They make you feel comfortable and are always happy to help and answer questions. The hotel is very clean and well taken care of. It is very convenient for short meetings due to its location at at the airport.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business