“Great Location for early Delta flight”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Lansing, Michigan
“Great Location for early Delta flight”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Have stayed here numerous times and have never been disappointed. The location is especially convenient if you are flying on Delta (since it is located directly next to the Delta terminal). Have only eaten at the hotel restaurant once, and it was fabulous. Fast and delicious. I try to stay here using the park and fly package. This will include valet parking and up to 10 days parking included in the price of the room. A great deal.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Grand Bend, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2010

A large number of our family stayed here the night prior to our Delta flight to Jamaica for my son's wedding. What a wonderful hotel. The staff were friendly and the hotel is beautiful. The rooms are very modern, spacious and clean. Nice amenities were provided in the bathrooms. The valet service for parking and retrieving the car was fast and efficient. The hotel is directly next door to the Delta check-in so it is very convenient. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I was very pleased with the hotel. I went to a wedding in Detroit and in Ann Arbor. It was convienent to stay at the airport as we got in at 1:30 am and left early morning. We did not have to get to the airport too early and could relax knowing we would not be caught in traffic or have to drop the rental car off.

The hotel was clean and modern. I have real issues staying in dated places because they look dirty even if they are not. This place is very new. The food for room service was good but way too overpriced. Typical for hotels.

The staff was helpful at the front desk. The valet were not overly friendly, talkative but were efficient.

I booked my Thanksgiving trip to stay there instead of with family because we liked the convienence, cleanliness and location. We can control this by picking the right hotel...family is variable :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Missed a connecting flight, had to spend night in Detroit. Was concerned the hotel may be loud from aircraft. I did not hear one jet while there.

Room was nice, clean, comfy, and quiet.

Had room service dinner and breakfast, all was incredible. :)

Hotel is what you can expect from a nice Westin.

Also, they have a security gate after 7am, you can use if you have your boarding pass already, and do not have to check luggage, which can help speed things up a bit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at this hotel while we were in town to attend a wedding. Since we flew SWA, we needed to take the Westin shuttle to reach the hotel. We only waited all of about 2 minutes for the shuttle.

From the moment we arrived, I was very impressed by the staff. They were friendly, warm, knowledgeable, and efficient. Everyone from the front desk staff, to the bellman, to the servers in the restaurant, all were well trained and quite pleasant.

My 7 year old twins were immediately drawn to the pumpkin carving display in the lobby. The lobby itself was very impressive and unique. We learned from the outgrowing staff that the pumpkin display was actually a contest between departments in the hotel. On 3 different occasions during our short stay, an employee spent time talking to us about the pumpkins from their various departments. At two different points during our stay, an employee observed us taking pictures of our family and offered to take one for us. Experiencing employees going above and beyond their actual job duties like that goes a long way with me.

We occupied 3 rooms in the hotel. Two of them had a gorgeous view of the lobby that I really enjoyed. Our third room faced out towards the airport. That was pretty cool as well. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The layout and furnishings were ideal. The bathrooms were spotless and the towels were super cozy.

My daughters spent some time at the pool. Like all the other common areas of the hotel, it was very clean and in excellent condition. There were plenty of plush towels neatly placed on the lounge chairs. My daughters enjoyed watching activities on the runway while playing in the pool.

We enjoyed a late breakfast in the restaurant. The food was very good and service was excellent. The food was artfully presented and our server checked on us frequently to refill our coffee.

I found this hotel to be an excellent value. It exceeded my expectations. I would definitely recommend it for everything from business to personal travel. :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I was here for a business event for my company. To be honest I was not happy about this meeting being held in Detroit but I was very happpy to know that the hotel was literally located within the airport. If you are flying Delta, there are check-in kiosk in the hotel lobby, and there is also a dedicated security screening directly to the Delta terminal. The room was fine, though it was overlooking the airport terminal, not a big deal.

What I was not happy about was they charged a lot of money for water in the room, which was not the case at Westin Waterfront Boston where I stayed a few weeks earlier. Also, both during the reception and lunch meetings some of the wait staff were pretty rude which I was surprised at a hotel like this. They looked very unhappy and exhausted, clearly annoyed with having to serve the guests.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Thank you for taking the time and consideration to share your recent experience with us. Being connected inside the McNamara terminal is convenient; it precludes the need to travel into the elements, especially headed into another Michigan winter. For passengers travelling on Delta, our lobby entrance with TSA checkpoint, along with Delta kiosks, eliminates much of the hassle while travelling.
I am sorry to hear of less than courteous service during your business meeting. We pride ourselves on providing instinctive and renewing service here at The Westin Detroit, and will certainly use this constructive feedback as a learning opportunity. If future travels bring you back to SE Michigan, I hope we may have another opportunity to welcome you back.

john ford director of operations
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Overall, this is a great business hotel. Attached to the airport, extremely (amazingly) quiet and with big-city downtown amenities. The restaurant and bar are also very good (Ken was great).

Where this hotel misses it is in the details. First, the check-in is average, there's no SPG preferred line and I almost never (actually, make that never) get a platinum upgrade. What's the point? Also, the "free" wifi is extremely weak on the 8th floor (1MB/s download speed) and nobody at the help line can seem to figure out what to do. They don't even know what service is offered... "High Speed Lite" - that can't be good.

Also, they randomly sent an engineering guy to bang on my door at 11:30PM after I asked them about the internet.

Also, the security checkpoint doesn't open until almost 8 - making it useless for early morning flights. Bummer.

Unfortunately, given this is a nice hotel and well located, you'll have to endure the untrained / random / uncaring staff and hope your experience is OK. Good luck.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for being our guest here at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport and for the comments and feedback from your visit. We have certainly used this information constructively and hope that we may have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back. On behalf of our leadership team and the hotel, thank you again for your comments and helping us to identify areas for improvement.
john ford, director of operations