“VERY CONVENIENT WHEN FLYING OUT OF DETROIT”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Ontario, Canada
“VERY CONVENIENT WHEN FLYING OUT OF DETROIT”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We again used this hotel for an overnight stay before a flight. It is a little more than other hotels in the area but the convenience of being at the airport is worth the money, especially if you have an early morning flight. We purchased the park and stay package. It gave us up to 10 days of parking.
You pull up to the hotel the valet takes your car and upon returning the valet gets your car. No snow to clean off the car. You do not have to trudge through snow to get your car Just very convenient for travelling in the winter.

The room was very nice and clean.

We ate in their restaurant and the food and service was very good.

1 Thank Neys
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the convenience of our Park and Stay package, as well as the service at our amazing Dema Restaurant. We hope to see you again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I recently stayed at the Westin located in the Detroit Airport. As with any Westin, you can expect a great stay. The hotel is nicely appointed with a rather impressive lobby (for being attached to an airport, in my opinion) as well as having nice spacious and comfortable rooms. The dining and bar amenities are great as well. The food was above average for a hotel.
What really makes the Westin so special is the ease of getting in and out. There is an external entrance to the hotel, but it also has one which can be accessed from the airport, so if you're traveling and want to avoid the rigor of the TSA experience, you'll find that the Westin's security area is much less congested.
My helpful pointer for this hotel is simple: If you're in the Detroit area for business, stay here to avoid the typical travel experience. It's my "go-to" spot when conducting business in Detroit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We absolutely love being your "Go To" hotel of choice and we truly appreciate your loyalty. We also understand the importance of ease of travel and amazing guest service and we look forward to seeing you again.

United States
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Airport hotels in my experience have rarely been associated with the quality, service and caring staff found here. The rooms are spotless and well appointed. The staff accommodates every possible request.

Since I always do carry on, having the private security screening checkpoint right at the hotel is very convenient. After a nice breakfast, and a good night's sleep, it makes for an enjoyable start to the day.

I would highly recommend this little slice of heaven if your travels bring you to Detroit. Taking a long international flight with a fresh start like this is well worth the price, especially since the service on Delta is so spotty, even in Business Class. A good night and morning helps when dealing with the lousy service at Delta all day!

Room Tip: Ask for room near elevator. Halls are very long.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for describing us as "a slice of heaven". We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us and we truly appreciate your loyalty. Hope to see you soon!

Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We absolutely love staying here! We live in suburb of Detroit and always stay here especially if we have early morning flight next day etc or like last night when we flew in on long flight and wanted to have a romantic "gateway!'

First of all the hotel is located in the McNamara/Delta terminal (tucked in corner of Delta terminal/You enter the hotel in corner side of Delta terminal). Then you take escalator down to lobby area. When you descend down escalator you are overwhelmed by the minimalist/hip, zen-like tranquility with dark lighting and ubiquitous bamboo/dark wood.

Check in was smooth with Jenna being super friendly and amazing (she honored my requests and acknowledged my platinum SPG status and didnt treat me any differently as we got great deal with hotwire. . .Kudos to Jenna for her wonderful customer service!).

The room is what you would come to expect from Westin with heavenly beds and minimalist feel we chose a terminal view which you wouldnt notice as rooms are quiet and curtains keep out all light.

We went down to Dema bar immediately after check in and sat at bar and our server Christie who we know from our prior trips here was amazing as always but the thing we noticed most from our last couple of visits was that the management had listened to our comments as the food was delicious (and markedly improved from last time) yes it is expensive but it had improved in quality whereas before it was expensive but not too great. We had the Caprese salad and seafood Fettuccine which was amazing.

In summary

The good:
--Great airport hotel in McNamara terminal with its own security/TSA entrance
--Service here is top notch .. . .we had a problem with the water pressure and called to front desk and they asked if I wanted to change rooms or shower in adjacent room and I stated the latter and they immediately brought the key . . .This is true of every aspect of this hotel from bar to reception to everywhere the service is phenomenal. This place also acknowledges your SPG status which is nice.

Pool, whirlpool and gym which are always empty . . .we love using whirlpool!
Heavenly beds and what you come to expect from Westin brand
Bamboo feel/resort feel in lobby

The bad:
Internet was $9.95 a night but was free in lobby; free for SPG members of course

The Ugly:
The food is expensive but the improvements in the food since our last couple of stays makes this a bad not ugly as shows managements commitment to service and listening to customers comments; we love this place!

Room Tip: You cant go wrong with any rooms but higher are better and avoid 2-3 rd floor rooms as close to TSA...
Green Features: Very eco friendly with recycling bins everywhere, This place is definitely eco friendly
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for describing your experience in such great detail. I'll be certain to thank Jenna, Christie and our new Dema Chef (Andrew) for the impact that they all had on your experience. I'm incredibly proud of them and happy to say - not surprised!

We all look forward to seeing you again.

Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife was flying it to Detroit and wasn't getting in till mid-night. With a 2 hour drive to get home we decided to stay by the airport and got the Westin via Priceline. Our rate was below $100 for the night. No breakfast was included.

The hotel is right on the airport. They have valet parking $33 for the night or park your self for $20. They are connected to the Delta terminal. My wife came in to the North terminal on another airline. There are shuttles that just loop around the terminals an parking garages every 15 minutes and they are free. I took one over and met my wife and returned to the Westin. It was easy and efficient. There are TV screens that tell you when the next shuttle will arrive.

I got there about 9:30pm and checked into a wonderful room. It was all high end. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was big enough and the show worked great and there was plenty of water pressure. The only issue I have is being a high end hotel with the price point they are at charging for in-room Internet is a little ridiculous.

I did have a drink down in the bar. The prices were fair and the service was fast and friendly. They had a restaurant but I had eaten so I didn't eat there. What I saw looked good.

Check-in and check-out were easy. It was a great experience. At the price we paid it was excellent. If I had paid the normal rates I would rate it more a 4. Still a great place and you can't beat the quality and location.

Room Tip: You can get great deals on Priceline but there is no guarantee that you will get the Westin.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback and I'l glad you enjoyed your time with us. We do have a wonderful team here and I'm so happy to hear of your positive experience. We hope to see you during future travels through the Detroit area.

cherijcbs@yahoo.com
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay if you have an early morning flight we did the park and stay offering while we were in Jamaica for a week real nice to return in the snow to a warm car being brought to the door for us!! Will go this again!

• Stayed December 2013
So great to hear of your experience. No question, a warm vehicle is helpful after a winter vacation to Jamaica! We hope to see you again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I will start off by saying that I am usually not a Starwood traveler, as its hard to get points and nights with them. However, with this stay I found it to be best to stay at the airport. The hotel was recommended to me, so I thought I might as well give it a try.

I arrived from curbside, as I had just returned my rental car. So I came through the tunnel from the Delta ticket counter. It smelled like a clean Westin from that point on. The lobby is open and beautiful and again smells very clean. The young lady at the check-in counter was very nice and informed me of all the amenities offered, including their own security checkpoint (if you dont have to check a bag, you can use this). I went up to my room and was pleasantly surprised of the size of it. Again, very clean.

The one thing that did bug me a little bit, was that the maid service in the hallway kepy slamming the doors going in and out of the rooms. They apparently were pulling the security latch over to not lock the doors and then they would slam against that. But, it was 4-5pm, so not a big deal, but it was annoying to listen to for 30 minutes or so.

The bar downstairs has a decent beer, wine and spirits list, but I thought it was definitely high, even for a hotel. I live in SF, so I am used to high prices, but for DTW it was really high. Nothing on the menu was really outstanding, so the value for what you pay, definitely not there. But, what else are you going to eat, right? There were several of us at the bar, the bartender was very nice, but very busy for one person and so the service was a little slow.

Since it is Detroit and you are going to fly out, I would totally recommend this hotel if you have to stay over. It is to convenient not to use and its clean and the people are very friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your detailed description of your stay. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we do appreciate your reccommendations as well. Your feedback was very helpful and we certainly hope to see you again soon.