“what 2 expect on an overnight stay at airport hotel”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 26, 2013

i arrived late, about 11pm. the staff was gracious, attentive and helpful, then and throughout my stay. They informed me tje bar was open (which I could see from the registration desk) and serving food for another hour or more.Took the elevator to my room dropped my bag and grabbed a seat at the bar with a good view of the BBall game on the TV. I ordere the sauteed Calamari, not fried and a drink from their expansive cocktail menu. Soon a conversation was struck up by all around me, other frequent travelers, about Congresses funding Air Traffic Controllers throughout the Sequester. Food arrived and was gobbled up. The DEMA bar was still hopping when I left. My room had great air circulation and a Westin bed, so I slept well. I had a morning bfast meeting in DEMA again, the food was well prepared and priced like comparable hotels. After bfast I hit the gym which had several elipters, joggers and free barbells up to 50 pounds. It's located next to the indoor pool which looked inviting and was being enjoyed by some younger guests.The best part was after checking out, I had only walk 10 steps to the TSA checkpoint located just off the lobby coffee shop. If your flying Delta, you already in their terminal. TSA was a breeze, made my flight woth time to spare. I will likely stay here again and recommend to business travelers.

1  Thank ScottD58
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

We're so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel is attached to the McNamara terminal at Detroit Metro Airport and is a very spacious hotel with nicely appointed and quiet rooms. The staff is very helpful and the terminal is adjacent to the lobby making it very convenient for getting to the gate for a flight.
But similar to other big hotel chains, extras are either a la carte or expensive. Internet is not free, food and drinks are more expensive than the norm and quality does not live up to the price. But if you want a mediocre $19 hamburger, knock yourself out! There are some decent places to eat in the terminal.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie499270

Dear Valued Guest,

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and I understand that our dining options are a little more expensive that the outlets within the terminal. Rest assured, our dining experience and food quality is typically an amazing experience and we hope you enjoy it next time.

Thanks again,

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had an early morning flight to Hawaii and so we stayed here. I wish we would have had more time to walk around and have a drink but we didn't get in until late.

It's gorgeous! There's a beautiful view coming down the escalators from the airport and the best part is they have their own security check in at the hotel. It didn't help us as we were flying out of the North Terminal but the 24 hr shuttle sure did.

Our room had a king bed and a lovely view of the planes. (I loved that!) There's an opaque shade that blocks the view into your room but you can still see out a little.

Starbucks coffee in the room and a beautiful bathroom. Like I said, we basically only slept here but I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I can't remember what floor our room was on, but it was quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary M

Dear Valued Guest,

We're always happy to be your first stop on the way to Hawaii and we're so glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I needed a place to stay in Detroit for a last minute meeting. Coming in late, it was very easy to stay at the Westin that is on the Property of DTW. The hotel is a nice basic Westin. Service was good and room service was fine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we're happy to be here for you for any length of visit. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I live north of Detroit, in the suburbs and stayed at the Westin to be sure inclement weather didn't make me miss my flight the next day. Very convenient for the park and fly travelers. The rooms were great, but, the hotel being inside the terminal was priceless as I was able to have shorts and sandals on in the morning to fly to Florida when it was snowing outside!! After arriving back from my vacation, we waited less than 5 minutes for the car. The only downside is that the food and cocktails are very pricey. You do expect to pay more for the convenience, but, cocktails were a bit out of line. I will stay there anytime I have an early morning flight in the middle of winter.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dazzem

Dear Valued Guest,

Wearing sandals in the Westin while it's snowing outside...not bad at all. Hope you enjoyed FLA and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've stayed here before a number of flights out. We don't live local to Detroit, so we need to stay the night before. The hotel is very convenient and we take advantage of the park and fly valet parking rate. We haven't been lucky enough to hit one of these slots but they sometimes have this on for only 1 cent. The rooms are typical Westin high quality. Good soundproofing. Another advantage of the hotel that we take advantage of, is the ability to go through to the terminal to eat dinner. It takes a few minutes to go through the process and you are going through a TSA checkpoint, so you do need to follow the normal steps. It's only available while that checkpoint is open. This is important as the hotel restaurant is in the normal hotel price range - you get better pricing and selection in the terminal.

Staff here always greet you warmly and make sure you get what you need, right from the valet parker to the front desk.

We have stayed at off site hotels and used their parking services but we now only use the Westin because:
-top quality hotel & service
-no trying to find a shuttle bus when we return

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knowetop

Dear Valued Guest,

Our staff here is top notch and always do a wonderful job. I'm glad you've enjoyed our Park and Stay package and we can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

There's no better place to stay when leaving from Detroit Metro Airport's McNamara terminal than the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The hotel is right inside the terminal and if your flight is leaving after 8:00 a.m. you can use the hotel's own security gate 20 yards from the front desk!

The hotel is also one of the nicest Westin's with an expansive lobby consisting of a forest in the 80 foot tall atrium, as well as soothing water effects with its 5,000 square foot pool and DEMA - the hotel's top-notch restaurant.

If you're leaving from DTW for a few days and you are driving to the airport, check out the Park and Stay packages. A seven stay with the valet parking package generally works out for less cost than paying for a night at the hotel and paying for parking separately. Nice! (Note: If you are staying at the Westin and have to travel by airport bus to one of the other terminals, be prepared for a wait of 10-15 minutes for the bus and another 10 minutes ride.)

All in all, a beautiful Westin property, in the most convenient location for DTW McNamara travelers.

Room Tip: Get a free Starwoods Preferred Guest (SPG) membership. You might get an upgrade to the SPG floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and yes, our Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program is amazing.

Hope to see you soon.