“Best place to stay if flying out of McNamara Terminal”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Ontario
“Best place to stay if flying out of McNamara Terminal”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We've stayed here several times when flying on Delta out of McNamara Terminal. Although it's more expensive than most, if not all, the other airport hotels, you can't beat the convenience of valet parking and walking into the terminal for an early morning flight - no shuttles to wait for! The hotel itself is really beautiful. We usually arrive there late the night before a flight, so we haven't used the pool or fitness centre. We have enjoyed a drink in the bar though! The desk staff is lovely and the rooms are always clean and comfortable. Can't beat the heavenly beds! This is our favourite to place to stay when flying out of McNamara.

Room Tip: You can leave a bag of clothes behind for your return. Keep your valet parking ticket in a safe p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We're so glad you always enjoy your time with us and we especially appreciate you mentioning our amazing staff. They truly are the best around!

Hope to see you soon.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Saline, MI
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Once again we had an early flight on Delta and took advantage of the Park/Sleep/Fly package with Westin. The rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms adequate. This time we did not eat at the hotel restaurant; the food there is okay, a bit on the expensive side. The front desk staff is friendly and professional, check in/out is a breeze. The valet parking that comes with the park/fly package is great. On the trip back, one calls the valet desk from the luggage carousel area and once one arrives at the hotel entrance, the car is being driven up. I agree with another reviewer that if one does not fly Delta, using the shuttle bus to get between the terminals is not worth staying at the Westin. As I mentioned in a previous review, one cannot hear the airplanes and that is wonderful for getting a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the airport if you like to watch the planes coming and going.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for visiting us again and we truly appreciate your feedback. Our service is so amazing and you also might enjoy our new DEMA Restaurant menu during your next visit.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 24, 2013

During a recent trip back my home town from overseas, I found myself stranded overnight at Detroit-Metro. Rather than be shuttled to an off-airport hotel property, I elected to get a room at the Detroit Airport Westin. Even though I made a last minute reservation upon clearing customs at approximately 8pm, I was able to get a room at an affordable price. While I had never stayed at this particular Westin property before, I usually find the Westin chain to be consistent when it comes to quality and cleanliness. This particular Westin stay did not disappoint. The hotel's entrance is conveniently located in the terminal adjacent to Delta's check-in counters. Upon entering, it was apparent that this was no ordinary hotel in an airport. Rather, it had the feel of an upscale business hotel that you might find anywhere around the globe. As I find with most Westin's, the hotel atmosphere was modern and chic. After an efficient check-in, I proceeded to my room to drop off my luggage before heading to the Westin's bar for a late night bite. As a Starwood preferred member, I was given a room on one of the floors allocated for Starwood preferred members. The room, like the lobby, was modern and comfortable. With a full size bed, a couch, reading chair, desk, and very large flat screen TV, I had all the amenities I needed and more for a brief overnight stay. What I really appreciated was the well laid out work desk area which was well lit, had plenty of easily accessible electrical outlets (yeah, I did not have to crawl on my hands and knees to plug in my pc), and a comfortable desk chair much like one would find in any high end office environment. The bathroom, while relatively small, was more than adequate and was spotlessly clean. The waterfall shower was a nice and unexpected touch. The restaurant in the lobby was open only until 10pm (on a Saturday night, would have thought they might have been open a bit later), but thankfully the adjacent bar was open until Midnight and offered a menu with quite a bit of variety ranging from sandwiches to a range of entrees include meat and seafood. The bar had a number of wide screen televisions so I was able to watch the NCAA tournament while enjoying my dinner with co-workers. And while the service was a bit slower than one would expect, the server was friendly and the food was tasty. In the morning, checkout was efficient and friendly. Delta check-in kiosks adjacent to the hotel desk proved useful as I had to grab a new boarding pass after selecting a seat on-line earlier the night before. One feature of the hotel that I was unable to take advantage of because of the early time of my flight the next AM was a dedicated security check point in to the air-side of the terminal that is located off the lobby within feet of check-in. Sadly, this TSA checkpoint does not open to the public until 745 AM though I noticed that airline aircrew staying at the hotel were able to use it at 630 AM when I was checking out. Overall, a great experience and a great hotel. Westin once again proved themselves in tune with the needs --- and desire --- of this international business traveler.

Room Tip: Seems to me that there is a not a bad locale in the hotel.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed and thorough experience with us. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit and I'm so glad we exceeded your expectations. Hope to see you again soon.

La Condamine, Monaco
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Extremely convenient, right inside the airport near the gates, but does not feel like it when inside, nice atrium, good room and service, best in-airport hotel I have ever been to. The atrium is very large with big trees and an acceptable restaurant. There is also a gym in the hotel, the rooms are quiet and overlook the atrium.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful compliment as being the best airport hotel that you've ever been to. Certainly high praise indeed and I humbly mention that we do hear that feedback a lot...

Can't wait to see you again.

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 16, 2013

So-so, mediocre property, but it is in the airport. no hot water for shower, and toilets was broken.
Room was glanced over by maids before my arrival, and cleaning staff needs to learn how to clean. When you are going to bed, you don't want to turn the sheets back to find the last guest's hair. CHANGE THE SHEETS!

Service was vey poor in the restraint, ate there twice,....never again.
Overall.....take a shuttle and o somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and I must mention that we were very surprised. Although your feedback was uncommon for us, I was able to urgently research this matter and address without delay. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you'll give us another try.

Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have stayed here on more than one occassion when I have early morning flights. This is your standard Westin hotel with all the westin amenities. The good- if you have a delta flight, it is extremely easy to enter the airport due to the fact there is a security checkpoint in the hotel. Rooms are clean and despite being an airport hotel, quiet. The bad- lobby/restaurant area is open, and smells slightly fishy. I am not sure if this is due to the food served at the restaurant or the water. Food at restaurant not terrible, but not the best. If you stay here, you are stuck eating at the hotel. The lobby does not have natural light. If you are staying here and headed towards the non-Delta (ie the north terminal), don't bother staying here. The shuttle service is unreliable. I recommend parking at a discount lot and taking their shuttle to the delta terminal vs using the costly valet service at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm so glad you enjoyed our clean and extremely quiet rooms. Great news, we now have an airport shuttle tracking monitor at our main entrance, so if needed, our guests can track the exact timing of the Airport's inter-terminal shuttles.

Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great place for a business meeting or if you have an early morning flight. It is the ultimate in convenience to the Detroit airport. I've stayed there twice for those reasons. Comfortable and quiet. The catered food for our meeting was exceptional. Everyone was pleased.

1 Thank PNWTravelr_11
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for being a frequent guest and we also appreciate you mentioning our Banquet and Catering services. Our food quality and service is exceptional there too and we're glad you enjoyed your experience.