“Very brand new feeling Westin”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The Westin is located in the McNamara Terminal. The hotel has it's own entrance into the terminal which is nice if you are planning an early morning flight and want to camp out near the airport. Several really great things about the hotel. It is surprisingly quiet. Many people have commented on this, but I was somewhat skeptical. There is definitely hallway noise that comes from under the door; however, all airport noise and even noise from the large atrium is non-existent within the room. This was impressive because I had breakfast in the atrium and I could definitely hear planes taking off.

I also liked how the hotel felt very clean and new. The TV was a large (46 inch) HD LCD, the bathroom was spotless, the carpet looked clean. Another thing that was helpful is that the hotel staff accommodated my early check-in so I didn't have to drag my luggage with me everywhere I went.

Some of the things that I think the hotel could do to improve: the restaurant could be improved. It looks really nice and has a great setting, but the actual food is not great. The only other thing that was somewhat annoying. The hotel has a lounge for guests staying on the club floor, but the lounge is not open on the weekends. I think it would be nice if the lounge stayed open on the weekends too even if only to just have drinks available.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the atrium will not get any natural light, but may be quieter than those facing the ter...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We have a talented new Executive Sous Chef and I'm sure you'll love his new menu options during your next visit.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed using the park and fly rate. Initially, I found a competitive rate using AAA discount. When I was ready to make a final booking, web page had a glitch and I was given a 2 room jacuzzi suite, breakfast, and 10 nights parking for $10. I called several times and confirmed I would get that rate. At check in there was no problem and I was only charged $10. Kudos to any organization that will live up to a stated rate even when there was an obvious typo.

Hotel itself was beautiful. The suite was nicely decorated with marble bathroom. Everything was clean. There was no airport noise. The staff were courteous and it was very convenient to be able to have the valet park the car, go from the room to Delta checkin and then use the Hotel's own security entrance which had a very short line.

Even if I don't get the $10 rate again, I would definitely consider the Westin again when I have the need for park and fly

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Of course, we'll always stand by our committments and we're thrilled that you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I love this hotel and it's a huge step-up from many of the other airport hotels. The rooms are contemporary and comfortable. The sound isolation is excellent. This is the first hotel I've stayed in near a hotel that hasn't had a constant barrage of jet engine noise. The price is more expensive than the other higher end hotel in the airport area (at least $60–$70 more), but you can save some money if you book using one of the other internet travel sites (I found prices that were $20–$25 less per night online).

If you don't feel like eating in the hotel restaurant, it isn't too difficult to go through a short (but thorough) TSA screening that will allow you back in the terminal eat at one of the terminal restaurants. Leave your luggage in your room and take ID and room key with you. That's all all you need to get through security and back into your room afterwards.

The WiFi does cost ($10/day), which isn't unusual in higher end hotels, but is free for Starwood Platinum members (which I am not). But the speed of the Internet was pretty good for the price paid.

Though I might have saved some money by staying farther away, my choice of staying here on this visit was driven by the fact that I was stranded, had to do a bit of shopping for clothing, and didn't want to have to take shuttles too/from the airport, especially when I had a rebooked flight early the next morning.

Breakfast is not included, but if you want to eat something inexpensive, the terminal is just two minutes away.

So, overall--for convenience and location, this was the perfect solution for me tonight. If you are looking for economy and really need all amenities included in your price point, this is probably not an option. But, the quiet, location, and convenience were worth it on this particular occasion.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Musician47

Dear Valued Guest,

Thak you for your feedback and I'm so pleased that your experience with us exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you during your future travels.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

It is convenient, right inside McNamara terminal. Pool is very small, no breakfast, charge to have internet in your room. Clean room. Don't even think of cancelling, if you need to, they won't refund.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teachall

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We do our very best to offer a great value to our guests and we certainly hope you give us another try in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Was lucky enough to get a room at the Westin. The check-in was good (although I still hate how you have to pay for wi-fi when the other properties in the various chains offer it for free). The room was wonderful! I love the Heavenly beds and had the best night's sleep I've had in months. The view over the tarmac was kind of cool and, although there were airplanes galore just outside the window, it was so quiet in the room. The bathroom was good and the shower had a double showerhead!
I didn't use any of the facilities at the hotel.
LOVED the security lane into the McNamara Terminal! Sweet!

Room Tip: Ask for one over-looking the tarmac.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SamandDerek

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for being our guest. I'm so pleased that you slept well during your time with us, while also enjoying our views and location. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was our fifth stay at the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport over the past several years. Nothing beats the convenience of pulling up to the hotel entrance, leaving your keys with the friendly valet attendant, and starting your vacation worry-free.

For us, we know our holiday has begun as we descend the escalator into the zen-like courtyard and inhale the intoxicating white tea scent that wafts through the hotel. Check in this time, as always, was fast, professional and courteous. I asked for a room overlooking the runways and our view was terrific. The room was in great shape, but there were some black marks on the wallpaper (probably from luggage) that needed to be scrubbed off.

We arrived after dinner in Ann Arbor, so we just relaxed, ordered a bottle of wine and anticipated our departure the next morning. We had time for a good workout in the early AM before checking out and making the convenient stroll to the Delta terminal adjacent.

Upon our return a week later I called the valet from the luggage carrousel, and our car was waiting for us out front when we arrived shortly after. It doesn't get more convenient than that.

See you next time, Westin!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Kodachrome_Dreams

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for returning, while also describing your experiences in such a detailed fashion. We're glad you enjoyed your stay (again) and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for our second time from canada for a flight out of DTW. Can not say anything but good things. Clean, comfortable, convenient and priced right for all you get. Great valet parking, could not get in and out of airport quicker.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Clean..convenient...great value...just what we were hoping you'd say. We can't wait to see you again.