“Great Business Airport”

GreenLeadersGold level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great Business Airport”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Just a fantastic business airprot. They have their own security entrance to the airport. NO LINE! Clean, new, very nice. I had lunch in hotel, it was very good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our Dema Restaurant, as well as our conveninet location. What a great combination.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of coming off a red eye to another flight from DTW that couldn't land and subsequently returned to DTW. It was going to be 12 hours before my 4 year old and I could get on another flight, so I was extremely happy to see the Westin attached to the airport. We were able to get a "day use" room and it was wonderful to be able to shower, nap, watch television, and order room service instead of wander the airport. The hotel is conveniently situated in the airport and even has its own (limited hours) security entrance. The room was modern, clean, and equipped with the usual Westin Heavenly Bed, bathrobe, and toiletries (very useful since I was unable to claim our checked luggage). The staff were friendly and pleasant and room service arrived quickly and as ordered. Even though our room overlooked some of the airport gates, it was quiet and my daughter enjoyed watching the planes. I highly recommend this hotel if you have an extended layover or other lodging needs at DTW.

Dear Valued Guest,

Our day use rooms are always a great option - especially for families looking for a break from the airport. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Oakland, California
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Okay. I know the General Manager is going to come on and provide a reply to my post and he's welcome to do so but one thing is for sure, I will NEVER bring a party of 8 to this bar again. Allow me to explain:

After a 2 week trip to Europe with my Aunt, Uncle, Cousin and Niece we arrived at DTW to our family waiting at customs; it was Friday, September 2nd at 8:30pm. We immediately went to the Westin as I was a guest at the hotel that night before I flew home. The Bar was being renovated so the waitress in the restaurant directed us to the interim seating area. We went there. We waited. No one greeted us. I spoke to a Westin Employee who told me we were in the wrong area for the bar and no one would ever wait on us here. Okay. We moved to the 'right' area.

We waited. One lonely girl was working the entire bar. Perhaps no one visits the Westin DTW Bar on a Friday night but they were definitely short staffed and I was NOT happy after having waited 20+ minutes in the 'wrong' area. The waitperson/bartender Kim was finally able to get to us...poor girl. She was obviously trying to do the work of several people. To move our bar order in a timely manner, I followed Kim up to the bar and as she made drinks, I delivered them to my family. YES, I delivered them as we sat in the WESTIN!! (If I was at a Courtyard Marriott, sure but please).

I asked Kim for the manager who did came over and smoozed with me/my guests. He told us he was short staffed (not my problem). He didn't offer to deliver our next round or assist in anyway. I knew immediately why Kim was stressed. Sure, you can be short staffed but if there is a manager on duty, why isn't he helping his guests? Personally, I just wanted him to leave. Kim had already redeemed the situation and was back into the 22% tip range. After I had a few drinks I did tell the manager how disappointed I was in him. He never offered to help us by bringing us a drink or a napkin, let alone comp us a $10. pizza.

Sorry General Manager, give Kim a raise and definitely keep her but your other employees need some training especially if they want to work at a Westin.

PS. I had zero problem going into the terminal the next morning to buy a second suitcase and eat breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for your experience during our Dema Lounge renovation. I researched your circumstances and it sounds like that was a difficult scenerio. Kim is an excellent server and I'm glad she was able to assist you.

I'm happy to say that our lounge renevation is long since complete and I'm sure you'll love it next time. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can help you in any other way (734)229-6754. We hope to see you again.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We used the hotel for flying out to a Cruise. The hotel was wonderful as well as the ability to park the car with a valet.

Dear Valued Guest,

Staying at the Westin is a great way to start your cruise vacation. I'm glad we were here for you and hope to see you soon.

London, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you want to have a wonderful sleep the night before your early morning flight, the Westin Detroit is an absolute must! My husband and I are SPG Platinum members and thoroughly enjoy the comforts of the Westin, more specifically their Heavenly beds. We use this hotel solely for the purpose of knowing we are going to have an excellent sleep before we face the hustle of early morning flights. We always request a high floor, opposite side of the elevators, and facing inside looking down on the atrium. We have never heard the flights.

Every time we have stayed here, we dine at DEMA restaurant which is located in the atrium. It is a modern atmosphere with excellent food and very moderate prices.

The employees of the Westin DTW are always extremely polite and courteous; from valet to check in desk, to any of staff in DEMA. I feel that the people that complain about the staff should perhaps look at themselves and how they are treating the employees. If you are rude and ignorant to them, how should they treat you? They are there just doing their job, they are not the ones that created your mood, get over it and move on.

Quite honestly there is nothing I can say negative about this property. Westin DTW is a clean, friendly, modern place to stay with great access to the airport (your own access to customs for Delta flights).

Definitely a must stay when flying out or into DTW airport!!

Room Tip: Rooms on inside of hotel facing atrium are quiet with no noise from outside air traffic.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm so happy to hear that you always have an enjoyable experience with us. I'm proud of a lot here, but most of all I'm proud of our associates. They work so hard to exceed each and every guests expectations - and are typically extremely successful in doing so. We can't wait to see you again.

cedar mi
Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you have an airline ID you get a $119 room rate and if you're flying stand by it's so great to be right at the airport - the westin is top notch - from the pool you look right out at the planes!
TSA has a pilot program so you can get a pass to go back to the airport to eat and shop - the hotel has a restaurant but can be a bit pricey. You have at least 15 choices when you're in the airport. It's so nice to just walk out of the room right to the ticket counter!

Room Tip: airport noise isn't a problem
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm thrilled to hear that you've enjoyed the convenience and service at the Westin Detroit Metro Airport. Our Dema restaurant is wonderful and the view from our pool is outstanding. Also, be sure to try our new Westin Workout fitness facility. I'm sure you'll love it.

We hope to see you soon,

Frankfort
Reviewed December 27, 2011

After two delayed flights and an exhausting day, I arrived late to check-in at the Westin, Detroit Airport. I'm guessing because of my tardiness, and that most other reservations had already checked in, however, the young lady at the desk, CALLED ME BY NAME as she welcomed me to the hotel. Wow! It's amazing what that small gesture can do to turn around what was previously a horrible day! She checked me in, upgraded me to a room on their "keyed" 8th floor where it would be less noisy, informed me about their 24 hour room service and quickly directed me to my room. I ordered soup (which was delicious and was delivered very quickly) and sunk into the incredible bed for a wonderful night's sleep. This was my first stay at this Westin, but I guarantee it will not be my last. AMAZING - FIVE STARS *****!!!!! Thank you for making my stay the BEST!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and especially the personalized service that we always provide. We look forward to seeing you again.