“A Warm Welcome for the Tired Traveller”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Melbourne
“A Warm Welcome for the Tired Traveller”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

On our recent trip to Michigan we booked a one night stay at the Detroit Westin Hotel as it was attached to the airport and we didn’t want to travel too far in a strange town after a long overseas flight. The website states the hotel is located at the airport terminal which it is but this can be confusing as Detroit has two terminals and we arrived at the other terminal. A few questions to the airport staff and we were on our way to the courtesy shuttle which dropped us off at the door of the hotel. The distance between terminals means you cannot walk to the hotel and must use the courtesy shuttle however the shuttle runs often and is only a 5 minute ride.

Check in was easy. We’d booked online for a very good rate and the check in staff were courteous and friendly.

The hotel is new and modern and gives a relaxing feel. It is also extremely quiet considering it is at one of the airport terminals. The room was large and spacious and included two queen size beds which were very comfortable. After the long flight the beds were just heavenly to sink into. In fact if you really like the beds, linen or decor in the hotel you can actually purchase them! The room facilities were great and the bathroom clean and modern with a double shower head. This hotel rivals many 5 star hotels for room quality and at a fraction of the price!

As it was late at night we were unable to get a drink in the bar. It closed early due to the hotel being quiet but we were able to order room service which was delivered quickly and tasted delicious. It came complete with all your condiments and the mandatory pickle.

Free wireless was available in the lobby, but in the rooms for a price, which I found unusual. However this practice was common in the US. We used the free lobby access which worked well.

The hotel check out is at midday which is very convenient and allows a sleep in if you need it. We certainly made use of this. Before departing we decided to have lunch in the hotel restaurant. The service was great, staff friendly, food tasty and reasonably priced, in fact it was so nice we revisited there for another meal during our 5 hour layover on the way home. The food is much tastier and seating more comfortable than any fast food place on offer at the airport. We recommend you try this.

Although we didn’t use all the facilities the hotel also has a gym, pool and business centre. Pretty much everything you need for a stay/stop-over.

All in all the hotel was modern, comfortable and a great price. Very convenient for the business traveller and also for late flight arrivals after a long haul flight.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, October 2, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful and extremely deetailed review of your stay. Our goal is to offer convenience, with outstanding service and amenities. I'm extremely pleased that this was your experience - especially after such a long journey.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This is a typical Westin (heavenly bed, good shower, etc.) but what makes it special is it is right on the concourse at DTW. It has it's own security checkpoint and can't be more convenient for an early morning flight.

Room Tip: Some rooms (that I prefer) look out onto the airport tarmac. Others look into the hotel atrium.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Our convenient location and outstanding guest service typically equates to a wonderful guest experience. I'm so glad (and not surprised) that was the case for you. Thank you very much for your feedback abd we hope to see you again.

Spring Lake, Michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Checked into the Westin after U of Michigan-Notre Dame football game. It was late and check-in was a little slow. But once in the room it was nice and quiet and clean. My only issue was the parking. It was difficult to get back to my car---I had to go through the Delta Terminal to elevater, to walkway across road, to elevator in parking garage....my car was directly across from the hotel entrance. Long haul to cross the street.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Paul D, Manager at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It was an exciting game and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. I do understand that airport guest parking can be a bit of a walk from the Westin, but our Valet Parking services might be a great option for your next stay.

We hope to see you soon.

Have an inspiring day.

London, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,483 helpful votes
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Once again we began our holiday by taking advantage of a "Park-and-Stay" package at the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The valet parking is so convenient. It's such a pleasant way to start a holiday, not having to worry about searching for a parking space and/or dealing with offsite discount lot shuttles (which was a good thing for us this time, as traffic backups had us running late, and without valet parking we may have missed our flight). In fact, our package rate was much less expensive than the daily rate for the valet parking alone, so it was a terrific value!

This time we elected to stay upon our return instead of before our departure, since we were booked on a red-eye flight and knew we wouldn't get much rest on the plane. We didn't actually check-in until 7AM (our reservation was for the night before), but Westin generously allowed us a late checkout so we could get about six hours of sleep before beginning the drive home. The hotel was quiet, the bed was very comfortable, and we got our much needed rest.

We have yet to find an airport hotel anywhere else in the world that is as convenient and comfortable as the Detroit Airport Westin. This hotel makes an early morning departure or a late night arrival not only bearable, but an enjoyable and eagerly anticipated part of any vacation we take.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kodachrome_Dreams
Dear Valued Guest,

Our Park and Fly program is typically a huge hit with our guests. Thank you for the honor of noting us as your "Favourite Airport Hotel Anywhere!". We're extremely pleased to read your feedback and we're so glad you enjoyed your visit.

Charlevoix, Michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel while flying to and from a girlfriends long weekend in San Francisco. It made going through security so easy since they have their own entrance into the terminal for all Delta flights. Our car was also valet parked for the duration of our trip. The room was most comfortable (loved the Starbucks coffee) and the food and drinks in the lobby bar very good though a bit on the pricey side. I will definitely stay here again on my future trips as comfort and convenience become way more important than price as I get older.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and we all hope to see you in the future.

Have a wonderful day!

Revere
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Westin at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. We were traveling from Boston to Fort Myers and had to overnight in Detroit. This is when we my husband and I fell upon the Westin. After a long day of travel and an unexpected overnight in Detroit were greeted by the most friendly staff. We checked into the most luxurious room. We then proceeded to the restaurant in their amazing lobby where we had a late night dinner. I had mentioned to my waitress that my son was up in the room and hadn't eaten. She had room service delivered to him without any hesitation. After dinner we retired the day into the most comfortable bed we had ever slept in. If you have the opportunity to stay in Detroit we highly recommend the WESTIN METROPOLITAN AIRPORT.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Fellow Bostonian,

It was our sincere pleasure to have you and your family as our guests and we hope to see you in the future. We're a great stop on the way to Florida! I'm so glad (although not surprised) that you had an enjoyable culinary and sleeping experience with us, as our goal was to have you feel refreshed and relaxed during your journey.

Have an inspiring day,

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed September 13, 2011

After traveling 8+ hours from Albuquerque to Detroit, I arrived on the red-eye flight landing just after 1am. The shuttle driver was alert and articulate, directing weary travelers to the exact locations of their parked cars, reminding them that certain elevators/stairways were locked at this hour and to take such-and-such instead. I was the last stop on her rounds, which really meant 2 minutes from the first stop. The trek in to the check-in counter is a bit of a hike and a little confusing when running on fumes but is beautiful and rewarding when you get there. The check-in staff were so friendly, upbeat and AWAKE that it rejuvenated me to be kind and friendly in my responses. The room was clean, cool and very much anticipated. The room I stayed in faced the terminal and was a little too close for my modesty--I imagine with the blinds open, staff working in the terminal can see straight through into the room; so keep the blinds closed. The auto check-out was excellent and I was up and out of my room without a thought to checking-out with the staff. All-in-all it was an excellent experience and my husband and I ALWAYS book this hotel in advance if we are arriving after 9pm.

Room Tip: Ask for one NOT facing the terminal.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Tired Traveler,

Awake, Alert and rejuvenated fall right into our mission here at the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport. I'm happy you enjoyed you stay and we can't wait to see you again.