“An Excellent "Detroit" Experience”
Review of Hotel St. Regis

Hotel St. Regis
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I spent four days during the Christmas holidays at the elegant and historic St. Regis in order to be near the Henry Ford Hospital visiting my mother and felt very much 'at home' in the hotel. The staff were extraordinarily accommodating to my need for flexibility and in expressing their genuine concern for my mother. The room was well-equipped if a little cold (frigid temperatures at that time), the internet was strong and reliable (and complimentary), the restaurant breakfast menu is completely satisfactory, and the valet support for parking so helpful. Admittedly, the immediate area does not have many options for entertainment but the theatre is too convenient to pass up and there is a limited range of outside restaurants (great burgers at Northern Lights); nonetheless, it was more than satisfactory. The lack of a fitness center is a drawback and there isn't anything nearby to fill that gap. I give the St. Regis high marks for customer service and would gladly return although hopefully under different circumstances.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Victor M, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for staying at the St Regis during your Mother's illness. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that your next trip will be under better circumstances.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is my first time staying at St. Regis. I had a pleasant time with the staff. Everybody was very friendly. Especially the front desk clerk, if I can remember his name was Robert. He was very kind to call the cab for my boyfriend and I to attend a concert at the Garden Theatre. Although the cab took a very long time to pick us up at the hotel, with about 45 minute wait (which was not St. Regis fault because it's not in their control.) We also had a pleasure time talking with him, especially with the background history about Detroit. Which made me opened up my mind, that Detroit is not a bad place to be visiting nor to stay at as well.

I also had a small panic attack that I lost my tickets to go to the concert, but luckily the valet person (gentlemen) found my tickets and kindly return them to me. What a sweetheart! As well the valet people handled my boyfriend's car very well with care. I've heard and seen horror stories about valet people that tends to steal from other people cars. Not at St. Regis hotel, everything was the same as the way we left it. Which gave my boyfriend a piece of mind.

The hotel room that was provided to us what very clean. We were located on the 6th floor of room 614. Personally, to my boyfriend, it was the best view of the hotel as he was able to see his car from the windows. Again, it gave him a piece of mind because he was afraid during the stay in Detroit, something bad would happen to his car, which was based on negative feedback from people experiences of visiting this city. One thing that mattered to me the most was the heater. I was happy it worked properly and how the heat kept the room very warm and cozy. Especially since that night was a cold night, as I am not ready for this winter to come yet. The only thing that I have experienced and I believe other reviewers too, were the showers. It works, providing hot and cold water. However, it was a hit and miss. But that didn't bother us too much anyways.

Ultimately, I would visit St. Regis again if I was to come down to Detroit. I would also recommend other people to stay here too. Especially if they are planning to visit a concert venue like the Garden Theater, it was literally a 5 min ride for like $5.

Room Tip: If you are like my boyfriend who loves his car, I would recommend a room that shows the parking lot...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank missmonicachang

Thank you so much for sharing your feelings about your recent stay with us. Our entire staff is dedicated to providing great customer service, and I was happy to see that you appreciated our efforts.

We look forward to your speedy return!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This hotel is great for ppl visiting the hospital district. The staff are helpful and there is a restaurant inside the hotel as well as a Chinese place across the street that delivers to your room for free. I was on the 6th floor and had 3 minor complaints.

1. There was a large red stain on the carpet that had tried to be cleaned up but still looked like a murder scene
2. The shower. The plug to the tub was in and there was some stagnant water I had to drain. Then the shower kept running hot and cold. Not fun.
3. The room was cold and the thermostat had no effect.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Victor M, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and commenting about your experience with us. We make every effort to see that all rooms are in proper working order and will address the issues you raised immediately to see that others don't have similar problems in the future.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Walk into elegance, step into history. This multi-story hotel is so very beautiful, excellently appointed along with a efficient staff. As well, this 'Grand Dame' has seen the likes of Dr. Martin Luther King and Mick Jagger; obviously a landmark.

And, the General Manager, Victor Martin, has made sure that the hotel has kept up with the times. Rooms have been refurbished, Some of the walls in some of the rooms are done in leather. The views of the City are awesome. Do check out the art -- beautiful.

I have stayed here on and off for 15 years, eaten wonderful meals and listened to terrific music in their bar, which is a treat all in itself. Of all the hotels in the City, this one is very special.

Recently, we had a meal, actually a tasting that I plan to offer various groups that will be dining at the St. Regis. The food was excellent, tasty and the service was impeccable. The price was right.

Robert, who was at the front desk, greeted us and immediately gave us some history of the hotel, which we all enjoyed. I felt that all staff were very professional.

Some great entertainment plays at this hotel's bar. Definitely worth noting.

The other plus about this hotel is that it butts up to the Fisher Theater and several great bars and awesome stores. The skywalk can take you to 3 separate buildings. There is a lot to see and do.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank StepOnBusTours
Victor M, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your thoughts on the Hotel St Regis!

We do strive to provide elegance, comfort, and great food for our guests at an exceptional value. As you noted, our team does try to provide customized service to our guests and make them familiar with all that Detroit has to offer.

We look forward to continuing to work with you and your groups in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

While the price was reasonable because my husband was attending an event at the hotel, it is not somewhere I would choose to stay again. When we checked in we were told about a $50 deposit that had to be made,but was not listed anywhere on the reservation, or when I talked to the hotel. Then there was a $20 charge for valet parking, which I was not told about prior to arrival. The valet service wasn't very helpful and we had to look for them every time we wanted our car. One older gentleman was an excellent valet and had great customer service. He could teach the younger valets how to wait on a customer. When I told the man at the front desk I was not told of the deposit, and questioned it, he had nothing to say other than it was a required. I am still waiting for the hold to come off my card. The women I spoke to on the phone said it takes 4 business days. Funny, you have a computer, you have cleaned my room, you can't figure out whether or not I charged anything to my room until 4 business days later??

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Janet M
Victor M, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

I'm sorry you weren't aware of the deposit requirement for incidentals or the valet charges. Both are explained on our website and are normal charges for any facility in Detroit. The deposit is only required if paying in cash. We do validate a credit card for that amount to assure it is valid. Upon checkout, the hold is released. If you use a debit card, it does take longer to clear because of banking policies, not the hotel itself. We immediately release the hold, but some banks take an inordinate amount of time to release the funds on debit cards. If you didn't immediately receive the release, I think it may have been a debit card. We will be more than happy to expedite the release from your bank if you contact our accounting department between 9AM and 5PM, Mon.-Fri.

I do hope you will return to our area soon and hope you will again choose to stay at the St. Regis!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I arrived late on Friday night. Front door attendent was there to help me unload and park my car. Desk checkin person was helpful, kind and took care of the necesary paperwork so I could checkin. My room was very clean, plenty of towels, huge window overlooking the city. The hotel was quiet and I had no problems sleeping at all. Check out went smooth, my car was brought to the front door and I was on my way to my conference in no time. Slight problems for others, resturaunt did not open until 8am on Saturday. Many were needing food between 7am and 8am and could not get itl.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Kathi M

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at The St. Regis!

Our entire staff is dedicated to seeing that each of our guests has a pleasant experience and we are always happy to read when we have succeeded. As you noted, there are numerous experiences available in the City and we're excited that they will begin construction of the trolly soon that will link our facility directly to the downtown area making is even more convenient for guests to experience the area.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The St Regis is an excellent value for money option in Detroit. My room was spotless and well maintained. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning spot on. The staff were friendly and helpful. Te food was fine too. It is bit of a distance from downtown but there are plenty of taxis. The excellent motown museum is a short walk away. Detroit is a good place to visit. Plenty of interesting sights and the people are keen to show the best side to visitors.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank atfLondon_England
Victor M, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Thank you for staying at The St Regis! I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time in our facility as well as our City.

Detroit has so much to offer in the way of culture and sports that people are amazed with the true picture of the City when they arrive. Our entire staff strives to see that each guest's stay is as enjoyable as yours was and we hope to see you return soon for another visit to our area.