“THE ST. REGIS IS A CLASS ACT”
Review of Hotel St. Regis

Hotel St. Regis
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Dundas On
“THE ST. REGIS IS A CLASS ACT”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Rosie and I stayed at the St. Regis for two nights in August 2013. We were somewhat hesitant because of the number of bad reviews on internet travel sites. Those reviews are undeserved.

The entrance and façade are architecturally impressive. This is a real hotel from days gone by: they don't build them like this anymore. It is clean and comfortable. The rooms are well-equipped with iron, hairdryer and coffee maker. The wireless internet connection is easily accessible and reliable. The food is quite good and reasonably priced. The staff is friendly, well-mannered, well-trained, and eager to be helpful. The required valet parking is quick and efficient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard B
Victor M, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
I'm happy to see that you noticed the changes we've been making to the facility and our customer service. Our entire team is devoted to making every guest's stay a perfect one and its always heartening to read that our efforts are being noticed.

We changed management last January and have been making great strides in delivering the best in accommodations and personal service. As you noted, the building has been restored to its original elegance and we take great pride in further enhancing it as we move forward always keeping in mind the history of the facility and its' significance to the City of Detroit.

I look forward to your next visit and hope you will notice the ongoing improvements we have planned.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Having read some of the not-so-great reviews of the St. Regis, I was not expecting a great stay here. Instead, we ended up having a great experience. We booked it mostly for the price and because it was a short one-night stay, but we would gladly stay here again. The service was great and friendly, and the settings very clean and elegant. We were not even charged the $20/night for valet service of our car. It was also very quiet, but perhaps since our stay was on a Sunday night and we were on the top floor that had something to do with that. The only minor issue was that two of our lamps were missing light bulbs. But the staff was very responsive. The location was not great, since it was a bit outside of the downtown area, but it was great for visiting the Motown Museum which is just a few blocks down on the same street. And that museum is a must visit! And the downtown area is just a 7-10 minute drive away. Overall, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Americamba37
Victor M, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Our entire staff strives to make each guest's stay as memorable as possible.

The area is developing quickly as Detroit is in a resurgence and I look forward to having you stay with us again soon to see the progress that is being made here.
Delanco, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a short visit to Detroit. The location was within walking distance to the Motown Museum, the primary purpose of my visit. The hotel staff were very helpful in recommending places to vist in the city. One of the highligts of this hotel is the restaurant. Besides having very good food, the wait staff were very attentive. The only drawback to the hotel is that it is a distance from the heart of the city so taxis were needed to go to Greektown and the fine museums in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ken F
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to your next visit.

Detroit is in the process of building a light rail system that will run from the river to our facility and transportation will be a breeze in a few years. In the mean time, we do offer unlimited in/out privileges with our Valet, so if you have your own car, you are welcome to move it in and out as many times as needed.
St. Louis, Mo.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I drove from St. Louis to Detroit to visit a friend. I had never been to Detroit and selected the St. Regis mostly based on its location. I found it to be very centrally located and easy to get all the places I ended up visiting. The vallet service was a nice amenity and all the drivers were very friendly. The main concierge was a VERY friendly gentleman and made my stay very pleasant. He even gave me two free tickets to the DIA, which was about a 15 minute walk and VERY beautiful. The New Center Cafe across the street was a great place for breakfast/lunch. I would definitely stay at the St. Regis again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving feedback about your stay with us. I was delighted to see that your experience with us was a great one and hope you can return soon to see more of what Detroit has to offer.
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the very first time because we received a gift certificate for a free night stay that we won at a golf outing and dinner for two.

The hotel lobby is gorgeous and the valet was superb. The restaurant is small and we were disappointed to not have a quiet dinner for two. They had two gentleman singing jazz style music and we could barely hear each other conversing. Our waitress was excellent and checked on us several times. I had the Portebello Mushrooms and they were delish. My husband had the catch of the day which was a fried fish which he ended up not liking. Overall, the food was good.

The room was clean from the moment we entered the room. I was disappointed that the sitting chair had a tear in it since St. Regis has a reputation for being an excellent hotel in the city of Detroit. Overall, the room was clean and comfy.

However, when we returned from going to Greektown Casino there seemed to be some sort of family reunion or wedding and there was a ton of people on our floor around 11pm (we were on the second floor). It was extremely loud from 11pm-3am with people yelling and slamming doors. We literally could hear everything in our room from the hallway. Didn't seem like where was any insulation from the room to the hallway. We barely slept. We thought out calling the front desk but did not want to make things worse. When checking out, the front lady did ask how our stay was and we did tell her about how loud it was and we barely slept. She mentioned that we should have called the front desk and notified them so security could have taken care of it.

It's interesting that if you look at previous reviews of the hotel that some other reviewers had the same problem with noise at night. Don't know how security will be able to handle the problem if it seems to happen quite often. I think not allowing people to act like idiots would solve the problem and allow for customers to return and have an enjoyable stay.

We most likely will not return but it was a nice looking hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level then the second floor. Seemed like they booked a lot on the second...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annrho
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
I was happy to read that you enjoyed the service, food, and atmosphere of the hotel. We do strive hard to ensure that each and every guest has a great experience with us and I'm truly sorry that a few items were problems during your stay.

We have Jazz on the Boulevard each Thursday night and it's quickly becoming very popular. Most people do enjoy the entertainment, and I'm truly sorry that it interfered with your planned quiet dinner. The Jazz night is only on Thursdays and I'm sure you would have a much more quiet and enjoyable dinner on any of the other nights.

I apologize for the tear in the sitting chair. Our team normally alerts us immediately to such problems and we deal with them immediately. I will see that it is taken care of before the next guest arrives.

Our security staff does patrol the area and we normally don't have issues with noise. Sometimes, when a large group is in the facility, they tend to visit each other thus creating some noise on the floor. When alerted, our security staff does respond immediately and will ask any guest who is disturbing others to leave.

I do hope you can return again in the near future to see that the problems you encountered were exceptions to the normal great service we offer. Please contact me directly, and I'll see that you are upgraded to a suite on your next visit to make up for the issues you encountered. We value your patronage and do hope to see you here again in the near future.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2013

First stay for the Orion Festival. Staff was almost perfect, especially the valet. With premium channels (HBO), clean room and great price, it's a must for travelers who don't want to spend a lot for a whole week-end in festival. You must use the valet service, but it's safe and fast when you want your car. I will probably return next year if Orion come back to Detroit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

The Orion Festival is booked for 5 years in Detroit and we look forward to having you stay with us again next year!
Birmingham, MI
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was my first stay at the St. Regis and I will definitely return. It's nice to stay downtown where all the action is and not have to drive home. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly at check in and check out. The Sunday brunch had a nice selection and I enjoyed the chef making waffles and omelets, he was super friendly. Also the outdoor patio dining was open to dine at. I stayed on the 2nd floor and it was nice and quiet. The rooms seem very soundproof.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanAllisonB
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! Our entire team works hard to ensure that each and every guest has a great stay and we're certainly looking forward to your quick return.