“Good value”

Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Montreal, Canada
“Good value”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

First stay for the Orion Festival. Staff was almost perfect, especially the valet. With premium channels (HBO), clean room and great price, it's a must for travelers who don't want to spend a lot for a whole week-end in festival. You must use the valet service, but it's safe and fast when you want your car. I will probably return next year if Orion come back to Detroit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

The Orion Festival is booked for 5 years in Detroit and we look forward to having you stay with us again next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Birmingham, MI
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was my first stay at the St. Regis and I will definitely return. It's nice to stay downtown where all the action is and not have to drive home. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly at check in and check out. The Sunday brunch had a nice selection and I enjoyed the chef making waffles and omelets, he was super friendly. Also the outdoor patio dining was open to dine at. I stayed on the 2nd floor and it was nice and quiet. The rooms seem very soundproof.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanAllisonB
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! Our entire team works hard to ensure that each and every guest has a great stay and we're certainly looking forward to your quick return.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A lovely old sensitively restored hotel close to the Fisher Building. On a cold deserted weekend, it felt a bit like the Shining. I think I was the only guest ... an unfinished breakfast stood outside the room next door for two entire days. But the staff were really friendly and the rooms good. And it filled up during the week with what looked like potential students for nearby Wayne State University. Avoid the rooms at the rear which suffer air conditioning noise from a nearby building. The front rooms look out over the magnificent old General Motors HQ. They have a great deal with a local sports club which is worth checking out. The old Mowtown studio is a fifteen minute walk down the road.

A few downsides. The restaurant is terrible (one morning they only had eggs and oatmeal) and the area is a bit of a eating desert. There is however a great southern style eatery opposite; excellent breakfasts although closed after 5pm. The internet is laughably bad - one way to meet fellow guests is to walk around the hotel looking for a good signal.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the front of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the St Regis. As you noted, we have taken a great deal of care to restore the facility to it's original grandeur and we are proud of the outcome.

While it may have been a slow night when you arrived, we normally have a great mixture of guests from all over the world. I honestly don't know what issues there were with the breakfast during your stay as this is the first time I've heard of the problem. We carry a full and extensive menu for breakfast and I sincerely apologize if there was an issue on the morning you had breakfast. Please rest assured that I will speak with our team members to ensure that future guests don't have similar issues.

You will be glad to know that we have a high speed, fiber internet service on order which will make our facility one of the fastest internet hotel connections in the area. I'm confident that on your next stay in Detroit you will find the speed and reception to be exceptional.
Traverse City
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our third time at the St. Regis and we'll be back.
This time we stayed for a Tigers game.
The rooms are decent. The last time we were there our room was a little worn, but nothing of importance.
The entire hotel staff takes its job seriously and, clearly, management here believes in training. People act like they enjoy their jobs--not at all like so many hotels where everyone acts like they wished they worked someplace else.
All parking is valet parking and that costs $20 a night so don't forget to add that to the cost.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joe4075
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and for staying with us repeatedly. We are thankful for your business and will continue to work hard to ensure that your future stays are even more enjoyable.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Here are facts: 1. The internet connection is worse than dial up. You just simple can't use it. 2. The air conditioning didn't work while I was there. 3. They charge you $10 (a night) if you want a mini fridge in your room. 4. The room TVs were purchased sometime during the 1980s - so count on a terrible picture quality. 5. I pulled back the comforter to find a nice big black hair in my bed. 6. Two pubic hairs were in the bathtub, and 7. The restaurant had a very small menu and (this is an opinion) the food was terrible.

I will say the hotel employees were very nice, but my stay was all around terrible.

2 Thank John I
VictorMartin, General Manager at Hotel St. Regis, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I'm truly sorry that you had an unpleasant stay with us. Our entire team is dedicated to delivering the best in service and hospitality and it is truly disappointing to hear that we have failed to deliver on that promise.

The internet connection is currently being upgraded and I'm confident that you will be impressed with the speed the next time you're in our area.

I sincerely apologize for the hair you found. Our housekeeping staff normally receives compliments on the cleanliness of the guest rooms and I will re-inforce the importance of paying attention to detail to assure that future guests don't have similar issues.

Thank you for letting us know about the issues you found so that we can continue to improve our service.

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I recently completed a three night stay at the St.Regis. The first thing I'd say is that the staff seemed extremely friendly and courteous. I had good experiences interacting with the valet parking attendant, front desk, and the restaurant staff. They were very nice and also professional.

My main complaints though are that the hotel is just worn out. I recognize that the hotel has tried to keep things up to date, for example, my room had newish looking upholstery and the lobby looked well maintained. However, there was no mistaking that this is an old hotel that has seen better days. My room was dark, the heating/cooling seemed to have a mind of its own, the fixtures were beat up. The first thing I saw when I stepped into my room was a giant red stain on the carpet. I don't know if it was jam or worse, but it stayed there the entire time I was there (the cleaning staff couldn't have missed seeing it). Hair on my pillow and sheets. The bathroom had dark, flickering flourescent tube lighting with a tub spout that was constantly leaking and rust stained everywhere. The bathroom tile was broken with dirty grout and the bathroom door literally had half a dozen gouged holes in it from where hooks or stoppers had been removed. I needed about 5-6 minutes each night of waiting for the water to heat up.

My last few complaints were that I had lamps missing bulbs and that the wifi was spotty at best. Free wifi, which is appreciated, but still highly unreliable.

Overall, I give the hotel good marks for effort but it can't really mask that this place has seen better days.

2 Thank Matt_Wong_CANADA
I was happy to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful. Our entire team works hard to ensure guest satisfaction and I'm glad to see that you found us accommodating.

We are continually upgrading the facility and I apologize for the issues you found in your room. Our wireless service is in the process of being upgraded and I'm confident that your next visit will find it one of the best in the industry. I'm truly sorry for the stain you found in the carpet and we will address that and the other problems you found immediately.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.