$174
$135
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $163/night.

$170
CrownePlaza.com
$198
$179
GardenInn.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $212/night.

The Atheneum(Detroit)
$225
  • Restaurant
$138
$122
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $146/night.

$230
$144
$123
Agoda.com
$249
All reviewsfisher buildingwayne state universitystarbucks coffeeice machinevalet parking ishotel restaurantinterviewcadillacdiawoodwardmotownconcertconferencegreektown
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The St. Regis is old and yes, there is more restoration that needs to be done but it is historically correct and more than pleasantly comfortable. If you are scared of being at the heart of a big city, I guess you might get the "willies" but the several times I have been at the St. Regis, absolutely nothing is happening in the neighborhood. There is a little bit of "Jack Nicholson" might be in the elevator feeling at the St. Regis but that adds to its charm. It can get overly warm in the room but just roll back the copious bedding and relax on a really comfortable mattress.
This is a hotel of days gone by where Truman Capote could be sitting in the lobby but that is part of the charm. The St. Regis will give you night's rest at a good price with safe parking and you can be on time for your 8:00 meeting. The dinning room serves a good meal and you need not stray from the property unless you want to jump on to the interstate and go visit the local casino properties.
Good deal as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We could not find a hotel to stay in while we were in Detroit for the Jimmy Buffett concert at Tiger Stadium. At the last minute St. Regis had a cancellation and we decided to give it a try.

The staff was very congenial and helpful and the room was very clean and well maintained. We would stay there again for sure!

Room Tip: They have valet parking for $14, which we gladly took advantage of and we were only a very short cab ride away from the heart of the city. I would suggest you do not walk from the hotel to the downtown area as you will pass through sections that might be unsafe.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked our room prior to reading the reviews. I was a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews. After our stay, I realized that the St. Regis has serious issues with consistency. We checked in to our 1st room (yes, we requested to be moved) and the bed was half made up, one of the two pillows on the bed had stains on it and the flat sheet had stains on it as well. The temperature was too warm and adjusting the AC didn't seem to help. Overall, the room seemed ok. Not glaringly dirty but not overly clean either.

Before we left for dinner, I spoke with the front desk clerk (who was very nice) to have the the sheets and pillow cases to be changed. Since the housekeeping staff was not on duty (it was about 9pm) he asked if we would switch rooms instead of waiting to have the sheets/pillowcases changed. We agreed and after dinner we moved to the adjacent room....what a difference!!! The room was cleaner, brighter, cooler and all around much improved. The difference was drastic and welcomed. My only gripe with the new room was that the toilet paper holder was broken so the roll sat on the counter and old water stains lined the bathroom ceiling. The decor was nice and elegant.

St. Regis really needs to work on consistency with housekeeping and maintanence to make sure every room is inviting, clean and comfortable.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I booked five nights at the St. Regis before reading some of the negative reviews. Naturally, it made me wonder if I should rethink my plan to stay there.

But you know something? It turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant place -- to the point where it sounds as if the negative reviewers were staying in a completely different hotel.

At check in, I asked the desk clerk (Ray?) to give me a quiet room, away from the elevators. He searched the database and found a great one -- top floor, facing the back, recently renovated, very comfortable, and extremely quiet.

Apart from the occasional sound of a distant door closing in the hallway, I heard no other guests during my entire five night stay. The air conditioning worked fine, even in the midst of a brutal heat wave.

Some of the lobby staff were very warm and friendly, others somewhat cooler, but everyone did their job. I didn't bring a car (I used Detroit's bus system to get around), so I have no thoughts about the valet parking.

As for the complimentary continental breakfast? It was nothing fancy (juices, coffee, cereal, bagels, muffins), but it got me going in the mornings. And the lady who set up the peaceful little breakfast room each day was very nice.

The neighborhood isn't downtown but further north, in an area called New Town. It's a mixed bag of government office buildings, streets with well-tended houses, streets with abandoned houses, a few fast food places, plus empty storefronts, old industrial structures, and vacant lots. Pedestrian traffic is very low, as it is in most of Detroit. By sundown, the area is deserted.

Since I live in a much larger city, none of this was beyond what I've encountered at home. But I'm sure that many life-long suburbanites would feel uneasy (although downtown Detroit can be sketchy as well, especially at night).

My final verdict? I found the St. Regis to be quiet, clean, comfortable, and a very good deal for the room rate I paid. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank dillydog66
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for business and I enjoyed the stay.
Convenient location for my meetings but I wouldn't stay here for visiting Detroit as it is far from everything.There are few dining options around and the neighborhood at night is not inviting.
Room was ok. Complimentary breakfast in the morning is average.
Staff is nice and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business