“A Gem of a Hotel that WILL sparkle again”
Review of Hotel St. Regis

Hotel St. Regis
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was recently at the St. Regis in Detroit and REALLY enjoyed my stay.
Many guests complain about the hotel's parking situation. It is valet parking, only, and I'm of the opinion that it's a much safer option than self-park in a city like Detroit. Like it or not, Detroit is a city with crime (lots of crime) and while this hotel IS in one of the nicer areas, it's still in Detroit. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to park and then walk across a big parking lot alone after dark: that's an invitation to trouble. The rates at this hotel are favorable, so even when you add in $14 for valet parking, you're still paying less than the rates at most other Downtown Detroit area hotels. Isn't your safety and convenience worth $14? If it's not, do yourself a favor and stay in the suburbs.
The hotel was not especially busy on the night I arrived, but the associate working at the front desk was going solo. There were two other hotel associates at the other end of the front desk, but they did not seem to notice, or care, that their colleague was becoming quite busy with check-ins and phone calls. They were engrossed in their own conversation and whatever project had their attention. From a guest's perspective, if there are hotel employees at the front desk, they should be working with guests and not on another project while guests are waiting to be checked in and phones are ringing. Take your side project and side conversation to a back office, out of the customer's view, if you're not working the desk.
The associate who checked me in seemed, at first, a little frazzled by the sudden surge of activity at the front desk and apparent lack of assistance from his colleagues. But, before I departed the desk for my room, he gave his name and invited me to let him know if I needed anything during my stay. That always scores points with me.
I went upstairs to my room and was thrilled when I opened the door. The furnishings were tasteful and went well with the style of the hotel. The room had a pleasant, clean smell that wasn't bleachy or chemical-like. The room looked clean and smelled clean. The bathroom was in perfect order and I like the quality Crabtree & Evelyn bath amenities provided. The bath mat, towels and face cloths were brilliantly white, no stains, and neatly folded. I also appreciated that the hotel has "real" bathtubs: porcelain on steel and not those flimsy-feeling fiberglass bath "inserts" that are so popular today. Water pressure was great, too.
What was not great, unfortunately, was the wireless internet in my room. My computer was able to detect three different hotel networks, but only one was strong enough to connect and that network seemed to be turned-on only part of the time. It was an exercise in frustration that I was not the only one experiencing. I spoke with the gentleman from the room next door in the elevator, after seeing him using his laptop in the lobby. He said he was just as frustrated with the internet in his room and decided it was better to just take his computer to the lobby...
The beds in this hotel are heaven. I've been fortunate to stay in a number of hotels over the years and -hands down- I found the bed at the St. Regis in Detroit the most comfortable of them ALL. My bed featured a very fine (soft, but firm) mattress, bright white linens that didn't reek of bleach and a fantastic assortment of soft and firm pillows. I can overlook the poor-to-nonexistent internet connection in the room because the bed was "just that good" and I slept so well. I actually thought the mattress was Duxiana but was pleasantly surprised that it was from a brand name that I could actually afford!
The hotel currently does not offer breakfast or dining. I understand the hotel restaurant will be reopening soon, however. While I am not, personally, a big breakfast person, I would have enjoyed being able to, at least, get a real cup of coffee without leaving the hotel (not the tiny, one-up-at-a-time coffee from the room with powdered -yuck- creamer.) Also, because the hotel is located in an area with 9-5 office buildings, there are not many dining options in the evening hours directly outside the hotel.
The Hotel St. Regis is a gem of a hotel that just needs to regain its real sparkle. It is a beautiful, solid hotel and, once some of the kinks get worked out, it will once again be "THE" place in Detroit to see and BE seen.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank UncleTrvlngMatt
There are newer reviews for Hotel St. Regis

Reviewed July 23, 2011

Hotel was centrally lcoated to areas we needed to use. Room was clean although we
didn't have a cover for our ice bucker and had to go to the lobby to get it filled. No ice
machine on our floor. It was a good valude for the rate.

My biggest complaint is that hotel guests are required to valet park their cars. I believe that hotel guest parking should be in included in room rate or should be complimentary.
Overall because of this one irritant I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel.
I will never stay here if future trips to the Detroit area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank retiree2006
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Booked this place through an online discount site, and we were very excited to try out this elegant and cozy hotel. However, we started having problems the moment we arrived. First of all, the hotel does not allow any parking other than valet, and from our room we could see our car parked in a poorly lit alley. Our check-in was uneventful and we made our way to our assigned room. When we inserted our key and walked in the door, it was clear that the room was already assigned to someone else - their open toiletry kit and suitcases were quite the giveaway. We hurried out of the room and went back to the front desk. Our second assigned room had 2 double beds instead of a king, so back to the front desk we went. Our third room was perfectly fine. Very clean, no complaints. Until the middle of the night. When the fire alarm went off every 5 minutes for about 45 min. My husband called the front desk after the first alarm to ensure that this was a false alarm (which it thankfully was), so we tried to go back to sleep. Needless to say, this wasn't the best night's sleep. The hotel was gracious enough to skip the $14 parking charge because of the "disturbances last night" when we checked out in the morning...but our kick-off to our cozy weekend away was already ruined. Definitely won't be visiting the St. Regis again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bridgeb14
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Like the reviewer below, I also stayed here over Memorial Day weekend for DEMF with my cousin, having traveled over from Milwaukee. I read some negative reviews on this site previously, so I was curious as to how "bad" it could really be.

I didn't find this to be the case at all. First off, The staff were very friendly and helpful from the point of arrival until we checked out. They helped us with directions(as we didn't have a car and were traveling to and from different points by bus/cab) and general overall questions. We forgot a couple of basic toiletries, and the staff provided them to us free of charge(items that wouldn't be complimentary otherwise), all with a smile.

The room itself was absolutely fine- nothing too fancy, but definitely clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. Because of the festival there were a lot of people on our floor, so there was noise in the hallway from time to time, but this didn't bother us as it's to be expected.

We came into town via Amtrak, which was very convenient as the station is a stone's throw away from the hotel. Downtown is very accessible by bus($1.50) and taking a cab was reasonable as well(around $10).

For the price we paid, I am very satisfied. I plan on coming back for the festival in the years to come and I would definitely stay at the Hotel St. Regis again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2011

2 of us were heading to downtown Detroit (i came from Milwaukee, WI) for the electronic music festival and looked for an affordable place to stay. We found a great rate at the St Regis in Detroit, but some of the reviews made us weary of staying there. Boy, we couldn't have been more wrong...

From the moment we rolled up to the valet, we were greeted by a very courteous staff. We had ZERO problems checking in, getting to our room, and the staff took care of us for 4 days. Whether we needed something brought up, a cab ordered or anything else, they were great. The room was not fancy, but we knew that going in. It was clean, with 2 queen beds. I've stayed at the Ren-Cen (mariott) before, and this room was about the same size. The Detroit Police station was less than a block away so we felt safe when we were outside the hotel as well. And the price? We payed about $525 for 4 nights. I'll take it. I would definitely go back to the St Regis hotel in Detroit, MI.

~mike
Milwaukee, WI.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2011

The hotel needs lots of work and false avertises its amenities . Did not have anything that it avertised that it did, It was not very clean at all and the elevators dont work. Was very unhappy and my advise is no amount of money is worth waisting your time to spend at this hotel. The only positive thing about it was the hospitaliy and the comfort of the bed. Wich had to make up for the crappiness of the hotel.

Room Tip: Dont just rely on price and false pictures posted
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank detroit20
Reviewed May 23, 2011

First, no valet assisted me with my bags upon arrival and NO cart was available! I dragged my heavy bags to the front desk! The front desk lady had an attitute problem and by the attention to detail in the elevator, I could tell this was a poor choice! When we arrived to the room there was no power in the bathroom and vanity area! I called and informed the front desk. They could have cared less! I walked downstairs and got the key after having waited 20 mins. & moved my own bags to the next room. I found the staff unattentive and uninterested in the issue. If you are looking for quality cleanb room wih outstanding customer service...DON'T! It's not a stellar hotel by any means! Save your money and go to a Marriott.

Room Tip: Go to a Marriott
  • Stayed: November 2010