“Local diner”

Hygrade Restaurant & Deli
Ranked #68 of 1,172 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Reminds me of a Coney Island with a diner spin. Nice staff, food very good for the type of restaurant. I had corned beef and Pastrami on a grilled onion roll with hash browns for a total of $12.93...u had a Living Social deal so I really only paid $6.93. Will go back.

2  Thank Lisa D

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

2  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I'm a bit ashamed to say yesterday was my first visit to Hygrade Deli. I've driven past countless times, but never stopped in. Probably because the neighborhood is a bit sketchy, if I'm honest, but I won't be repeating that mistake!

Since it was my first time, I kept it simple: a cup of navy bean soup, and a Reuben. Kind of my standard order for trying a deli for the first time. If they can't get these right, just move along.

The soup was homemade, and excellent. The broth was flavorful, enriched with ham. The soup had a generous distribution of carrot, celery, and onion, further fortifying the flavor. Frankly, if I had a bowl of this, and a good-sized chunk of cornbread (no, not on the menu, but please consider this a strong suggestion), it would be a great lunch.

The Reuben was of a normal size, probably 4 - 6 oz. of meat on two normal-sized slices of grilled rye. It wasn't a monster, and that's OK.

The sauerkraut was drained a bit so the sandwich didn't get soggy, and the swiss was a single thick slice.

The Russian dressing tasted homemade as well, but I can't swear to it. It was applied in the right proportion, not overpowering the sandwich, or glopping all over your hands.

But the corned beef, the most meaningful ingredient in a Reuben?

Wow!

Hands down, the best corned beef I've eaten in Detroit (sorry, Sy!). Tender, lean, succulent, flavorful. Awesome corned beef. The Olympic gold medal of corned beef. This is what I would make corned beef taste like, if I knew how to make corned beef! Really delicious--in case that hasn't come through yet.

It's not cheap eats. Lunch was $13 for the cup of soup, the Reuben, and a soda. However, it was a good value, as the ingredients were homemade, of high quality, and delicious.

The restaurant itself seems populated with a good mix of regulars and noobs, and the staff is friendly and accommodating. The decor is wonderfully dated, and I'm guessing the last remodeling took place in the late 60s. I haven't seen that kind of sparkly vinyl upholstery in decades!

Hygrade is worth a bit of a drive, and definitely worth stopping in, if you happen to be driving by. This place is the real deal, and there aren't many of these places left. Eat there while you can.

3  Thank AccidentalGlobetrttr
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Litt family has been in the business for many years with Stuart now running the joint & that is what it is. It's a small, local neighborhood Jewish-style deli in the city. It is my regular lunch place with the best corned beef in town. Remember, it's local so the crew who work there are a funny group of locals. Well worth the stop.

3  Thank bruceb815
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just a little outside of the Corktown scene, so it goes unnoticed by all the newcomers to Detroit. Too bad. This place has great service, bottomless cups of coffee, and terrific, hearty breakfasts priced very reasonably. The waitress Linda is outstanding. Full breakfast is under $6.00. The corned beef hash egg dish is amazing.

4  Thank applegirl57