“Over priced”

Slows Bar BQ
Ranked #14 of 1,235 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

They food here is good but the prices are high. The wait time is long. The amount of wings we got for the price was ridiculous

Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed September 4, 2018

I have mixed thoughts about this place. Parking is a bit difficult to figure out. We parked in a lot that no longer charges a fee but did in the past. It is not marked one way or another so that was a bit unsettling.

This is an established restaurant with a core following. It felt “familiar” which is always nice. We had a short wait once we arrived so opted to have a drink at the bar. The adult beverages offered should please most. They offer craft beers and are focused on rye and whiskey drinks for anyone looking for stronger offerings.

It was extremely hot outside on the day that we visited. We were offered to sit in a booth or a table. My 91-year-old mom typically prefers booths but ours was uncomfortable. There was not a good way to sit against the backrest and there was no overhead fan to circulate air in our area. My mom became so overheated that my sister took her outside into the heat to cool off.

Our server was great. Service was both friendly and prompt. Our empty dishes were promptly removed.

Dinner was hit and miss. Everything is ala carte -- including white bread. The ribs were NOT tender despite the menu’s description. I brought them home and cooked them on low heat for another 2 ½ hours to get them to fall off the bone. Regardless, they were very tasty. The waffle fries were excellent. I recommend ordering the fries crispy.

The wings that we ordered as an appetizer were great but pricey – 5 wings for $10. The jambalaya was very good. The green beans that we ordered as a side were canned – ugh. My brisket was also very tasty. The potato salad was very good but the cole slaw tasted sour. I think that they use their mustard sauce as part of the slaw dressing. Neither the potato salad nor the slaw was cold when they hit the table.

Overall, this was a fun place to visit. I’d recommend it but do your homework and ask questions. If it is hot, make sure that you are seated under a fan. If you wear dentures, order the chicken or jambalaya unless a burger sounds better. I’ll return to try one of those soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

This is one of a host of stops we make when in town. The food is always good and worth the wait. The sandwiches are big enough we could share... although we don't...the sides are better than average as well. We always visit the one near the old train status S are hoping to tour that soon As well.

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely perfect food over, and over,and over. The fries and cheese are to die for and everything meat associated on the menu is 10/10.
Come give these guys some love!

Reviewed August 30, 2018

This is my go to place for BBQ when home. While there is often a wait for table seating I have always had good luck with grabbing seats quickly at the bar. The staff is always great and very helpful with deciding on a good cider beer or cocktail. You get decent sized portions here and the food is amazing. Sauces are an A+ and I like that they offer a seasonal sauce to keep things fresh.