“Slow's is a great reason to visit Detroit and historic Corktown” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Slows Bar BQ

Slows Bar BQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Slows Bar BQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,093 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sterling Hts, MI
“Slow's is a great reason to visit Detroit and historic Corktown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

If you like great authentic BBQ cooked 'low and slow', you will love Slow's. Try to get there on 'off hours', non game days and holidays, so you only have to wait less than an hour. Parties of six or more can make a reservation and it is highly recommended that you do so.

Start off with their smoked wings (not fried and dredged in sauce), then move on to the "pick three" which comes with a choice of two sides. I love their chicken, brisket and pulled pork. I am not a fan of their dry ribs, but many seem to like them. Mom's green beans are spicey, with onions and a vinegar mustard sauce. Their potatoa salad is also something to enjoy and offers a creamy sweetness to cut through the heat and spices of other dishes. Wash it down with one of their many beers (including a bottled chipolte beer), or my favorite, 'sweet tea'.

I recommend this place to friends and family all the time and everyone who has taken my advice comes back with smiles and wanting to go back.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
detroit
“Slow it was!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

After waiting for over two hours to get a seat it was very disappointing to have the chicken served raw and the ribs hard as a bone, however the ribs and chicken seemed smoked not bar-bq, alto the wings that were sent out for our wait were very good. The hype was better than the experience. Would rather have a McRib!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Detroit, Michigan
“Love it. Like an addictive drug....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

I love Slows. Apparently I have been missing out for the past 4 or 5 years. I have heard nothing but praise for this place. I found it by accident one night after an evening at the DIA. We were trying to get to Mexican Town, but the exit was closed and just happened to drive by this place. We had to wait for a table, got there around 9 or 9:30 on a Friday night.

First thing I noticed was the beer selection, awesome! $5 for a pint of some local brew. We had a drink and waited a little more than a half hour before being seated. While waiting we observed plate after plate of delicious-ness arrive to welcoming smiles and bright eyes. Noticed that nearly every diner was getting the Mac n Cheese. There must be a reason for this, right? Oh yes, my friends. It is that good.

I had the Trio. The best of the best. Meaty meat and more meat. Pulled chicken, Pulled pork and beef brisket. Comes with 2 sides and there is more than enough to take home for lunch the next day. If you are a suburbanite and will be going home to a fridge, get it. Its $18 or something, but you get two meals for your long trek out and your hunger pang-riddled waiting period. Mac and Cheese...so good-better than how Grandma used to make (sorry Nana). The Cole slaw had my husband and I fighting over the last bite the next day.

My companion had the Brisket Enchiladas. I had a bite and it was very tasty. She also took note and ordered the Mac and Cheese...enjoyed it as well.

The second time I was here was 2 weeks ago. My husband and I got here at peak time, 7:30 on a Saturday night. had to park down Michigan Avenue a bit. This area is not bad at all. I never felt unsafe or even saw 1 bum or 'undesireable' person. The wait was estimated at 2 1/2 hours and we had to come back for one of those pagers in 45 minutes. So we went outside and noticed there was a small lounge-bar a few doors down. It was a nice place to chill out since Slows was so packed we could not even get to the bar. The lounge was very smokey, but hey soon we won't have to worry about that (public smoking ban goes into effect May 1, 2010). They had a Mega Touch machine and some cheap beers. A few pool tables in back, decent jukebox and several TVs. Not a bad place to chill. They are cash ONLY. Everyone in there was waiting for Slow's. Good crowd, it reminds me of a watering hole you would find at any corner in the 'burbs.

So after the long wait we finally got our pager and by that time, around 8:30 there was enough room at the bar to squeeze in for some of their specialty beers. We were seated about 15 minutes later so our estimated "2 1/2 hours" ended up being about an hour and a half. I had the Trio again and my husband had the JP's Revenge sandwich. It was one of the most delicious combination of tastes I have ever had. I am not usually a big fan of ham, but this is the bomb right here. Gorged on Mac and Cheese and Cole slaw too :)

I would take anybody here, for any reason any time. I am going back again this weekend. We love the ambiance, and the beautifully restored interior. I love that it is in Detroit. I love the food, the beer and the value. Very good prices for such superior food. The service is wonderful as well...the door girl was a little short-but I give her all the credit in the world-that job would be stressful! Everyone else was completely pleasant and helpful. Unhurried even in the midst of trying to feed all those people! oxoxoxo love you Slow's. I am yours.

Pittsburgh
“Fantastic Place to Try Everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

I am in Detroit for business and took my family here when they came to visit. The barbecue comes 'saucelss' and all the sauces are on the table so you can try as many different kinds as you want. I don't think I tried a sauce that I didn't like! The servings are big and you get two sides with each, so I would recommend splitting a plate if you're not starving. We got there right when it opened at 11am and by the time we left there was a wait, so get there early!

Michigan
“Good Barbecue, Beef and Chicken”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2009

I love the ribs, chicken wings, and sliced brisket beef. The meats are nicely seasoned and not over cooked. It is the sides I have issues with. The mac and cheese is good, the salads are terrible - I guess the tomato dressing destroys it and they really don't have any mainstream salad dressings to offer you. The catfish appetizer was much to be desired. I cannot figure out what is the batter/meal, but it is not a good combination. The green beans are horrible. I am not sure why they put vinegar or something acidic on green beans? I am a lover of sides and their sides are, for the most part, what I do not like. So I just order ribs, wings and mac and cheese and that is it.

It is a VERY small place, so I will be happy when they finally open the tackout/catering location.