“Excellent smoked BBQ”
Review of Slows Bar BQ

Slows Bar BQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Slows Bar BQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,132 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Outstanding smoked BBQ, great ambiance. The sandwiches were quite large. We ended up splitting two to a person and everyone was quite satisfied. We went during the day just before a Tigers game and the place was hopping. The neighborhood is a bit dicey. They do have a sign indicating secured parking is available.

There are newer reviews for Slows Bar BQ

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I'm not huge fan of BBQ but my husband is so I am constantly dragged to places with him. I usually end of getting a burger and that was what I ended up getting here and it was delicious!!! They had different sauces on the table to try and I loved the apple one so much that I ended up putting it on my burger!! My husband had the ribs and he said they were the best he'd ever had!!! We also got Mac and Cheese and their potato salad which was also excellent!! Definitely will eat here again next time we're in Detroit!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Other reviewers will tell you how hard it is to find and how shabby the neighborhood is, which I agree with, but it's worth the effort to eat there. I'm from Texas and they had the most moist and tender brisket that I've had in years. Then, their gumbo sent me through the roof. Wow - I want to go back right now.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I had heard great things about their food and was eager to give it a try. So it was a bit disappointing having trouble finding the front door. Even more disappointing to hear the staff brag about how common of an occurrence that is. Hence, we started off our dining experience slightly frustrated and embarrassed. Not a great start when I just drove 40 minutes to get there. Why this known issue has not been corrected was an ominous sign of things to come. On to the food. I had the Triple threat, which I have to say was a tasty sandwich. My wife had the St. Louis ribs, which were honestly average, a bit dry in fact. In our party of 7, one ordered the Mac N Cheese, which 4 people at our table tried on bite and all rejected any further consumption. Additionally, at 5:00 on a Thursday, with the restaurant no where close to full, they were unable to bring all of our food out at once. I would hate to see what that is like when they are truly busy. The service, along with the food, was average and less than inspiring. Having lived in both the Carolinas and Texas I believe this venture would struggle to survive in those markets. Not worth the drive, will unfortunately have to stick with large chain restaurant Famous Dave's.

1  Thank Dobolina
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I would gladly take a break from salads and international cuisine for a giant plateful of Slows with a mug of whatever they have on draft (of which there are over fifty to choose from, I believe...) Whenever I come home, this is among the first places I try to hit up. When friends visit from overseas, this is where I bring them. Good and affordable American food. Yes, it's busy, but in the friendly and fun way. It doesn't bother me at all, and it's worth the wait.

I have to be honest... I am a sauce lover. Beyond the BBQ meat and sides themselves, it is probably why I am so gung-ho about this place. I've never had an average or bad meal there, so I'm not sure what the negative reviews are about.