“Astonishing, Excellent Food, Guranteed A Good Time”
Review of Slows Bar BQ

Slows Bar BQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Slows Bar BQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,122 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Plymouth, Michigan
“Astonishing, Excellent Food, Guranteed A Good Time”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Right in downtown Detroit, this restaurant is by far the best in the city. It is often very busy and hard to get a seat but once you're there it's incredible. The service is really good along with top of the line chefs. I tried the yardbird, one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. You would be a fool to not go here the next time you're in downtown Detroit. Slows also is a great option for upcoming Grad parties. I believe there is a separate location called slows to go for catering. Overall great place for a better time.

• Visited June 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Harrison Township, Michigan
“Delicious BBQ; can be a long wait to dine in a loud restaurant.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

As native Metro-Detroiters, we only recently (in the past few years) heard about Slows and tried them out for the first time earlier this year. Been back a couple times and have found the food consistently delicious and the atmosphere pretty laid back. The service is a little inconsistent though; the staff are all pretty "trendy" looking in appearance and seem to have a blah-zay attitude but are friendly enough. The restaurant itself is a cool place - tons of beer on tap (which is a highlight for us) - with lots of wood and unique nooks and crannies. (Have fun finding the front entrance...it's kind of like a secret door!) I always eat the mac & cheese which is always piping hot, cheesy, and tasty just as mac & cheese should be. My husband loves the trio and usually ends up with the brisket, pulled pork, and chicken. The sides are tasty (cole slaw, corn bread, etc.) and come in pretty big portions. Definitely the best BBQ in/around Detroit. Authentic and worth the wait, we think. Try sitting at the bar for faster service - you can dine there too.

• Visited May 2013
Harrison Township, Michigan
“A smidge overrated”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Although very good, it is just a smidge overrated. Definitely worth a visit if near Corktown. Near the old Tiger Stadium (no longer there), but an interesting neighborhood. One of the best businesses in the area.

Visited January 2013
Howard City, Michigan
“Its busy for a reason folks!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've had bbq in St. Louis and Texas and Slow's beats both of those. Was told it would be an hour wait (and I expected that based on the other reviews), but it only ended up being 30 minutes. Yep, not the best neighorhood, but I've been more scared walking in the heart of downtown Detroit. You just have to act like you don't care and you'll be fine. Now for the food....excellent. My husband ordered the ribs and I ordered the pulled pork. Both excellent choices. Mac and cheese, waffle fries and mashed sweet potatoes were our sides...all of those were excellent as well. Our waitress was fabulous. Food arrived within 10 minutes of ordering. I suppose there are always bad experiences at every place but we didn't experience that and will surely go back. As my title says, I'm assuming the reason they are always so busy is because 99.9% of the folks who eat there love it. I'm part of the 99.9%. Yummy.

• Visited June 2013
“The police were called on us! STAYAWAY from this Establishment. Managers are rude and blind to their horrible service!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

On Mothers Day, I accompanied my wife and stepdaughter and several friends to a tigers game and planned to dine at Slows BBQ. A mother and daughter left the game 1 hour early to get a table for 6 people. While they waited, they had an appetizer and a cocktail. After one hour of waiting the waitress BUZZED the pager. Because our entire party was not there they did not seat us they gave the table away. Our whole party arrived 3 mins later. We understood it was not fair to the rest of the people there. No complaints with that, we were seated within 5. -10 mins. All six people ordered beverages. Two cokes, two margaritas, one water and a jack and ginger-ale. They brought Jack and ginger-ale, one water and two cokes twenty minutes later. The two people who ordered margaritas grew tired of waiting and went to bar to get alcohol. Ten more minutes later the waitress, who looked to be 18 years old, came and took our food order. When we asked whatever happened to the two margaritas we ordered she ignored us. Another server brought two more waters by shortly after and served them to the two girls who ordered the margaritas. We asked to speak with a manager. Manager came over. What a sight I must say. Very unprofessional appearance. Advised us the table was to loud and we were cut off. I asked why I was allowed to drink jack. No answer. When asked why bartenders served us at bar, no answer. When asked for a new waitress who was of legal age to drink ( maybe one who could actually understand the difference between drunk and enjoying company of friends we rarely see). No acknowledgement. We requested the head manager or owner. Another manager came over. Our food soon followed him, while we were speaking he said he stands behind his staff and their observations. Our food was wrong, and forty mins cold. We refused food. Manager replied we were a liability and since we refused food he would ask us to leave. I refused his refusal in a professional manner. He responded by saying he would call the police. He did! Four Detroit police cars with two officers each and a Wayne county duo showed up WITHIN 10 mins. WOW. I was told twenty mins earlier I was two drunk to drive home from the manager yet he felt it was a good practice to kick me out on the streets of Detroit in 40 degree weather! Makes no sense. I ABSOLUTELY promise no one was drunk. Food was horrible looking, service was even worse, and attitude from management was insulting if not down right neglectful. Hats off to police department for quick response time, I'm sure all the serious calls in the city were handled by then. My advise is to eat or drink somewhere other than this establishment! If you don't you might regret it like us!

• Visited May 2013