“Great food - maybe even better than Memphis...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Slows Bar BQ

Slows Bar BQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Slows Bar BQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,093 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Great food - maybe even better than Memphis...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were warned about the wait especially on Red Wings weekends. We were quoted an hour and a Half but got a bar seat in about 20 minutes. We had already had appetizers at Green Dot so weren't that hungry. Shared the triple threat. Brisket melted in your mouth. Did not like their peas or beans but the meat and Mac was fantastic. Went back the next day on our way out of town after the Red Wings game and it was good maybe not quite as fresh as the night before but still delicious. Oh and killer beer list too!

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Great food if you don't mind waiting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I went to Slows for lunch with some friends and decided to return with the family for dinner on the weekend. The restaurant is small and the wait time on the weekends is 2+ hours even if you arrive early. I really liked the food so I convinced the family to wait. The ribs are wonderful with 4 different sauces to choose from. You get sides with this and I would definitely recommend the mac and cheese as one of them. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others for a late lunch/early dinner.

Visited March 2013
Miami, Florida
“Good place to eat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I hadn't had the chance of being in such an amazing place. I visited my son in Detroit and I loved it. The food is good,the place is very nice.I recomend for fst good service and something special.

Pittsburgh
“Excellent food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The 3 of us dined at Slow on Easter Sunday, and the food was excellent. Each of us had a different type of BBQ that tasted great. Our waitress was attentive and provided timely service.

Illinois
“Great food - terrible location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were excited to go to Slows on our recent trip to Detroit, but when our GPS turned us in this direction my hubby and I balked. Slows is surrounded by dilapidated buildings covered in gang graffiti. There were homeless people laying all over the sidewalks. The parking out front of the building was full every time we went by (we tried 4 times) and the only open parking was behind the building with signs posted all around saying "caution - car break in area." They also offer parking in a lot behind a bar across the street, but that was also full and very seedy looking. The only "nice" thing in this area is Slows. The rest of it looks like gang territory.

WE DID NOT FEEL SAFE! There was no way we were leaving our car unattended.

So we did the smart thing and went to our hotel and ordered Slows to go, which has a nice location in Midtown where we weren't afraid of getting shot while picking up our lunch.

My food was good. I had the yardbird, which I did feel was a bit greasy and overrated. I ordered the macaroni and cheese and cole slaw for my sides - both were fantastic. I preferred them over my yardbird. The cole slaw is the best I've ever had.

My hubby did not fare so well in the food department. He ordered the brisket plate and said it was good. He got corn bread for a side and it was bone dry and rock hard. He said it tasted stale. Never one to trust his judgment (lol) I tried it for myself, and sure enough, it tasted like it had been sitting on a counter for at least 2 weeks. It was disgusting and immediately went into the trash.

Overall I will give Slows an average review, but only because of the "to go" location in Midtown. My food was good, the husband's was sub-par. If not for the "to go" location we never would have even come here, this place REALLY needs to relocate, because it doesn't look like this neighborhood is going to get better anytime in the foreseeable future and the food was definitely not good enough to be willing to get mugged over.

• 1 of 5 bubbles