“Long Wait But Worth It”
Review of Slows Bar BQ

Slows Bar BQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Slows Bar BQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,134 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Haven't been to Slow's in a while but we were downtown on a Sunday evening and decided to stop by. We arrived at 6:00 pm and were told they was a 45 minute to one hour wait. It was early so we decided to wait. They said they were out of "pagers" so to check back in about 30-40 minutes to check on our table status (turns out for some reason they only have 4-5 pagers). Some people that came after us were told the wait was an hour and a half and for a table of 6 up to two hours but most groups were surprisingly willing to wait. They have expanded since our last visit and added about a dozen additional tables and a second bar. While we were waiting we watched a college hockey game on the tv over the bar. We asked if they could put on the Red Wings vs Minnesota Wild NHL game and they said they would check. About 20 minutes passed with no Red Wings game. I asked again and they said they would be right on it, but again 15 minutes go by and no Red Wings game. Turns out no one knew where the "clicker" was so they couldn't change the station. I guess since I asked a second time, someone went searching for the "clicker" and found it and changed the station. While we were waiting we met a couple from Toronto who had heard about Slow's and decided to try it out since they were in town for the weekend! After about 45 minutes we checked on the status of our table and they said there were about 3 groups in front of us. I checked back fifteen minutes later and they said we would be next. I checked back in about 5 minutes and they said we had "JUST BEEN SEATED" in spite of the fact that we were still standing there. The host apologized and said someone else had been given our table but that we would get the next table, true to his word we were seated within minutes with a profuse apology. We ordered the brisket of beef which comes with two sides, we opted for coleslaw and the macaroni and cheese. We also opted for the Yardbird sandwich, which was a runner up in the best sandwich in America on the Man vs Food tv show. It was a pulled chicken breast drenched in a mustard sauce, tossed with sauteed mushrooms and cheddar cheese and topped with applewood bacon. It was a little spicy from the mustard but not overly so. The combination of the sauce, mushrooms, cheese and bacon was a marriage made in heaven. I now know why it was a runner up in the competition. I would suggest you get it on a roll rather than on toast as the roll holds up better when eating it. The beef brisket was its usual great dish and one of our favorites. We had lemonade which is hand squeezed and homemade. It actually took about 10 minutes to get our lemonade as they had to make a new batch. We enjoyed our meal and had leftovers to take home. We left about 8:00 pm and the number of people waiting had dwindled to just a few. It is amazing that people will wait that long for a table but the food is that good. Parking by the restaurant is a problem but there is a lot across the street, behind the Mercury Bar which charges $3.00 and is a block away. As I have said before in my reviews of Slow's, it is definitely worth the wait if you have the time.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Everyone in Detroit loves Slow's, and for good reason. The food is so good my mouth is watering just thinking about. Slow's offers Bar BQ (obviously). Ribs, Southern pulled pork, brisket are just a few things on the precise menu. It's as authentic as you can find in a northern climate.

The portions are large and are come with two side dishes. The macaroni and cheese is large enough to serve as lunch. Unless you're a linebacker, you'll go home with food for the next day taken care of.

Another thing I love about Slow's is the bustling atmosphere. They have a great bar serving lots of local beers. Be prepared to hang out there. You'll be waiting for a table. But it's a great place to make new friends.

Speaking of the long wait, here a tip to the owner: offer diners the option to share tables. The casual, happy ambiance is perfect for this. After all, fun and great food is what Slow's is all about.

Yum.

PS: Slow's has become so popular they've opened a separate place for take out.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great good old down home cooking. Southern influence. Spicy meats and huge portions if you like soul food you'll love this place I make sure I go here every time I visit Detroit.I cant wait to go back! yum:)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Great barbeque especially since I've travled throughout the South and have eaten at many BBQ joints. However, my prepared to wait. Service is good, but getting a table is slow. Great briskey and pulled pork and mac and cheese! Portions are large.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Some of the best BBQ I've had. Brisket & pulled pork are very tender, juicy & flavorful. Mac & cheese is great & so are the mashed sweet tatoes. This is one of the very few restaurants I will wait (and it can be an easy 1.5 hr at times) to eat. Portions are pretty big & they have a great beer on tap selection. Service is always good. I would definitely recommend Slow's; just don't go when there's a sporting event in the D.