“As good as it gets in Detroit”

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
New York City, New York
“As good as it gets in Detroit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

There is nothing wrong with the hotel. Rooms are clean, breakfast is solid, the spa is fine, the service good and yet I stayed at this hotel a number of times and each time I was less impressed. I have stayed at other places in Detroit and this facility is probably as good as it gets but overall it lacks the usual high standards one is used from a Westin. The lobby area is a mess of stair cases and escalators and it might take someone with a weak sense of orientation longer than it should to find the reception on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Westin_Book_Cadillac, GSM at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments, this feedback is important to us. We are disappointed to learn that your recent stays in the hotel have been less than satisfactory and we would like to apologize for this. We that you for your previous loyalty and would welcome an opportunity to learn more about what has created your impressions. If you wish to reach out, you may contact me at westin.bookcadillsc@westin.com. Regarding your comment about ease of locating the main lobby on the second level, we are currently reviewing our directional signage for clarity. Again, thank you for your input.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Book Cadillac for a much more satisfying stay in every way.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Brentwood, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have stayed here several times, just need to book early as they run out of rooms quickly. The parking structure is ALMOST attached (3-5 minute walk to the car). That would be the only downside as I usually have my two children with me when traveling. Large rooms, very modern and updated, and best of all clean! Wi-Fi is very dependable. They have the "Heavenly Beds" and I usually sleep pretty well. The shower is large with two heads. Love everything about this hotel and look forward to many more returns.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and loyalty to Starwood and The Westin Book Cadillac. We value your loyalty and thank you for calling out what makes our hotel special to you. We look forward to having you back in the near future.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I have gone to the Detroit Auto Show many times over the past decade. Since it reopened, many of those times have been here. And for good reason. Let me count the ways I love this hotel:

1) HUGE rooms with extremely comfortable beds. Some of the rooms at this hotel are so big, you can play a game of bowling in one.
2) Great bathrooms. Plenty of room and a great rain showerhead, paired with toiletries that smell good (think a mix of Giorgio Armani's Acqua di Gio and Thierry Mugler's Mugler Cologne).
3) Amazing ambiance. The hotel was restored beautifully in a way where modern meets classic tastefully.
4) Excellent service. On my most recent stay for the 2014 auto show, the concierge helped me find a fun restaurant close to the hotel before I met some friends that now live in the Detroit area.
5) Close safe walking distance to Cobo Center. As most of my visits to downtown Detroit are for the auto show, this is a major selling point for me. Not that many other hotels are closer.
6) Excellent workout and pool facilities.

My biggest complaint is that Wi-Fi isn't free, but many hotels like this charge for Wi-Fi. However, AT&T LTE works fine here.

Overall, this is my favorite hotel in the Detroit area. There's a reason why I keep coming back for more when the auto show rolls into town.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your glowing review and your five star rating. Thank you also for pointing out the excellent service you received from our concierge, he takes great pride in his work. The bath amenities you enjoyed so much are The Westin signature scent – White Tea. You can purchase these items from Westin at Home. We hope to have you back soon and before the next auto show.

Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was overwhelmed with this hotel, staff, room, amenities, just everything! The most courteous peple are hired in there and just seem happy to assist with anything you might need or question. I recently spent time there with my grandchildren - they want to live there! I left behind a very sentimental item and they found this and I have it back! They care and that is awsome! Thank you again for the wonderful memories me & my grandchildren made while there.

M Lowe

Room Tip: Who need a view when you have the city to explore? If a view matters, just ask the reservationist...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We are so delighted to hear that you and your grandchildren had such a satisfying stay in every way. Thank you for mentioning the high level of service and positive interactions with our team. This is what we strive for with each and every guest. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Book Cadillac in the not too distant future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I have used this hotel in the past. Well located and has few nice restaurants. This time the front desk person offered me am upgrade with $20 a day. Which I said yes. First I got a room which was large but empty and I went back they gave me second room 929. It had a strong cigar smell, carpets were not clean, ac did not work and the hotel ran out of water for drinking. With all the complaining they kept on sending people to fix it. Smell never went away had to stay with the ozone machine in my room. And bad cigar smell. Next day used the spa and the wrap was done in 15 mins with no wrapping All in all bad experience
But the restaurants are all very good

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Bhardas
Thank you for your review and your positive mention of our team. However, we are disappointed, and frankly embarrassed, with the experience you had with your room. The room you mentioned should have been taken out of service to deal with the inconsiderate prior guest who broke our no-smoking policy. Please accept our apologies for the disappointing aspects of your stay and we hope this isolated incident does not keep you for joining us in the future.

Byron Center, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

What a phenomenal hotel stay! Totally impressed by the renovation - classy and modern. The bed and rain shower are amazing; typical of the Westin heavenly trademarks. I have been staying at Marriott hotels due to their rewards system but this stay made me say: "I need to go back to the Westin!". Great food and views of the Tigers stadium.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review and your comments about your recent stay at The Westin Book Cadillac. We are excited to hear that we were able to woo you away from the competition. We hope to be your home away from home when you're in Detroit.

LaSalle, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Checked in for Superbowl and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel is.
Spacious and crisply modern decorated rooms. Large bathroom with great rainshower head and secondary "brush" head. Staff were all courteous and efficient. Had a well made latte and breakfast sandwich in WBC on the way out. Only negatives were that a couple of more signs would be nice to direct you to ice, what floors things are on, where restaurants and cafe are located - really minor stuff. Room had a terrible view (mostly of other hotel rooms) but that's just the luck of the draw. Would definitely stay there again - looking for excuses to do so now!
Would highly recommend for business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a view if you want one then hope it's available.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we thank you for staying with us. We are pleased to read that your enjoyed your stay in so many ways. We look forward to welcoming you back – hopefully in the not too distant future. Keep an eye on our special offers page on our website – you might just find that excuse to return.