“Comfortable, Clean, Classic”

Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Washington DC
“Comfortable, Clean, Classic”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

A wonderful renovation of a classic Detroit hotel. Rooms are super comfortable and well-sized. Staff is friendly and competent. It's really a great place that might just change your opinion about Detroit.

It tends to be pricey, but that's probably the market law of supply and demand. I parked up the street and walked a block or two to save $$$ in parking.

Room Tip: aim for a high floor; we were on 19 in the back and had a great view of beautiful old skyscrapers
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pworules
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Services Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide your review. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest and we appreciate the comment about changing perceptions of Detroit. It is always rewarding when guest see the real Detroit.

We hope you have a chance to return soon.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Chardon Ohio
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed at the Westin in Detroit one night for a business trip. It was fairly easy to find and if you drive there you will need to use the valet parking. Dropping the car off was painless; the cost was a little high at $25. My only complaint for my stay was it took nearly 40 minutes to get our car in the morning. There is also a taxi stand right across the street. Check in was quick and our $159 group rate was very good for this nice of a Hotel. They gave me complimentary internet, not sure if everyone gets that but I would ask.

The hotel itself is a great old building that has a high end feel. We were able to walk down to the baseball park during the day. There are signs of buildings in the area being fixed up. It is not yet a good area and I do not suggest going out at night on foot. The hotel has a couple Bars and restaurants. I had breakfast there and it was very good. I had eggs, bacon, hash browns and coffee. My dining partner had an egg white omelet and coffee. She said it was one of the best ones she has had and there was very little grease. It was a bit pricey at $52 for two people with $5 coffees. There is also a small gift shop in the lobby that is open until 10:00 PM. They have a pool and a good workout room. My colleague worked out early in the morning and was happy with the facilities.

I stayed in room 1306. A nice security feature is that you have to insert you room key before it will let you punch in your floor for the elevator. You can only request your floor. The downside is it is a little cumbersome with multiple people getting on at the same time but going to different floors. My room was very nice and everything seemed to work. There was a complimentary bottle of water. I never did figure out how to set the alarm but did not give it much effort when it was not intuitive. This room has a king size bed and is an adjoining room if needed. I never heard any noise and it is at the end of the hall away from the elevator. Other amenities were: Hair dryer, rain style shower head, ironing board, large flat screen TV, small refrigerator (no mini-bar), coffee/tea maker with a couple kinds of tea and Starbuck’s coffee, large desk, reading chair, window that opened, very good temp control, a speaker to hook up electronic devices, good Wi-Fi, and a safe. One of the best features is the bed. It was very comfortable and there are 5 pillows to choose from and two comforters.

Overall I would stay here again if I needed to stay right in Detroit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bobo185
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Services Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your high rating and for providing other Tripadvisor readers the compressive review of your stay. We are pleased to read that we have left such a positive impression on you and look forward to having you return soon. I have shared your comments regarding the valet wait time with the management of the valet service who is provided to us by the city owned parking garage adjacent to the hotel. Thank you for that input.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've stayed here before - will stay here again. This is by far my favourite hotel in Detroit, and favourite hotel amongst many cites. For me this place changed the landscape of downtown Detroit and sets a standard for a number of other places - Roast restaurant, being within walking distance to Cliff Bells, having a good gym on site, being greeted by name on my second visit - this is a good place to regroup in downtown detroit.

The staff are terrific. I worried when bradley McCallum left that it might not be as good. But i recently brought 18 Toronto friends down for a weekend who had never been to Detroit before and they came away very pleased and surprised by the experience. Staying here, we were high maintenance in a Toronto way, which didn't seem to be a problem to the Detroiters hosting us - detroit was founded upon hospitality - if the industry dies, you will still be sure to have a good time. We asked a lot from the Book Cadillac - we got a reservation at Roast mid restaurant week; we got a tour of the hotel including sub basements from the fantastic concierge Sylvester Dew; Kayla in reservations got us all great rooms at reasonable rates and followed up a number of times to make sure that our complicated requests has been answered.

And as a seasoned visitor, Sylvester has been a constant source of friendly hospitality in the last 5 years that I've been coming here - a wonderful and comfortable face of Detroit on Washington Blvd. I honestly feel more at home here than at my mom's house in Windsor, (maybe because I'm not on the pullout, but) or than at the D.A.C which is a pretty fantastic option.

If you are staying in Detroit I would say that this is exactly where you want to be. You are within walking distance of everything. Roast Restaurant is right on the street so that the street feels busy and interesting. The building is 1920' awesome. And the staff are local and fun in a northern/southern combo that is typical of this city.

If you are worried about coming to Detroit, stop worrying and come - if you aren't really pretentious and awful, then it is the most interesting city in America right now. There are more Detroiters here raised properly by their parents than those raised by wolves, and their parents are unusual in the mid west - cultured, musically literate, well dressed at 80. They will make sure you have a good time from their walker. And if you have money to invest in something then holy cow figure it out quick because this place is now on the way up - big changes every time i come down from toronto and opportunities closing fast - as a transplant I am so very happy about my hometown right now.

Bed better than mine btw; Linens gorgeous, nice turndown. I would like to move in...

Room Tip: The suites are great - i love the east view. Higher floors are better. Talk to staff - they underst...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to provide such a thorough review of your stay. Speaking for Sylvester, Kayla and the entire team, we are elated to learn that you feel The Westin Book Cadillac is your home away from home! We look forward to having you back "home" soon.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Wow, what a spectacular venue for a place like Detroit. A truly 4 star hotel in the heart of the Motor City. Our room was incredible with 100 degree view of the city from the 20th floor. Plush Westin amenities like beds, sheets, robe, toiletries, etc. This place is vey modern in a classic architectural building.

My Biggest complaint was the valet service. It was atrocious at best. First, the cluster in front of the entrance was a mess. They need to get the incoming cars out of the way so people who are arriving and leaving can negotiate the area without side swiping or bumping someone else. At times, they were triple parked out front. Even worse was the car retrieval process. Both times I called from my room phone about 10 min prior to leaving. On Saturday about 5pm, we waited an additional 15min outside for the vehicle and that was after we asked them to check again to see if someone was retrieving it.

Upon departure on Sunday, we waited a total of 38 min for our car. After 25 min I went to check at the valet desk and they handed me my key and said my car was already outside. They were wrong, they had never retrieved it. The person helping me said we would be the very next car. 18 min later after 5 more cars were brought around, we were finally able to leave.

This needs to be fixed as it spoiled our entire trip. Valet is obviously the first and last impression a guest will have

• Stayed September 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here on a Detroit business swing. Nicely remodeled several years ago. Good, clean and comfortable rooms. Staff is typical of Westin quality, very friendly with good service. Old building, but is surprisingly contemporary inside. Understand there are issues with the developer paying the City of Detroit, but all in all a nice urban property. Be forewarned the neighborhood is what it is in Downtown Detroit. But the hotel itself is quite nice. Parking lot to the East of the property is nice, but the service level is not great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great location in downtown Detroit. Hotel appeared clean all over and the room was quite comfortable and large. Had a chance to go to the Club Lounge and enjoy the amenities. Continental Breakfast had addition of scrambled eggs and bacon. Forget the bagels...hey, it's not NYC! Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Higher floor has better view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Passed through Detroit en route a wedding up north and found the Westin in downtown Detroit to be a pleasant suprise. The city is in tough shape, no question, it's kind of scary. But the hotel was clean, comfortable and really very nice. It's strangely contemporary inside as it is in a restored grand old hotel.

Room Tip: choose a high floor away from the street noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple