“5 Star Prices & Looks, 2 Star Cleanliness & Service”

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“5 Star Prices & Looks, 2 Star Cleanliness & Service”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at The Westin this past week while on our way back home to Wisconsin from Washington D.C. When we researched the hotel, we were drawn by the history and let's be honest, by the fact that we would more than likely be safer at this hotel than others. We were hoping that we would have a view of the Fort Shelby Hotel, unfortunately that was not possible but certainly not by fault of the hotel. Upon arriving, it's obvious that the Westin is a hub of nightlife and activity. From the outside it was extremely impressive, the lobby was stunning, spacious and very modernly renovated. When checking in at the front desk, not only did they not have our reservations but we had to wait approximately 15 minutes for the front desk clerk to rectify the situation and secure us a room. When we walked in with our bags, no effort to offer assistance was made. We arrived with our 2 boxers (The Westin is a pet-friendly hotel) and I was struggling with my luggage until what appeared to be a manager did finally assist me with my bags. I didn't feel inclined to tip at that point because I was irritated help was not offered sooner. And from here I am afraid, everything just continues to get worse. When we entered room 1408 we were very impressed. The rooms are gigantic, beautiful, they smell and look great on the surface. The shower was absolutely fantastic and all of the soaps and shampoos and conditioners smelled wonderful, the only other hotel who has beat them in this arena in my opinion is The Sheraton (they use Bliss products.) The bathroom was extremely spacious which was very nice, there is lots of room to spread out in these rooms. However, once I turned down the bed, I noticed 2 very suspicious stains on the top sheet. Upon closer inspection they appeared to be blood. Extremely disgusted, I called down to the front desk and was helped by a woman who was very nice and apologized profusely. She sent an employee up almost immediately with replacement sheets. They insisted on making the bed for me but with the dogs, we wanted to ensure they felt secure and unstressed so I said no thank you I would remake it. I wish I hadn't because upon pulling the sheets off I noticed other stains that definitely were not blood. I pulled the new sheets to replace the old and once I touched the fitted sheet, noticed it was still soaking wet. I called down once again, and was told they would send a new fitted sheet. It took approximately 10-15 minutes on this second run. When the gentleman brought the sheets, I stepped outside of the room to tell him about the sheets and show him the stains and he looked at me blankly like it was no big deal and told me the reason it took so long the second time was because the sheet needed to be dried. Why, at 10:30 at night, aren't there clean, dry sheets in this hotel that at a DISCOUNTED rate, still cost us $260 per night?? Regardless, that was not the worst part. Rather than taking the sheets from me, the employee told me to throw them on the floor at his feet while he garnered rubber gloves to take them away. So, let me get this right...your hotel, expected us to sleep in dirty sheets that some lazy and inconsiderate employee obviously did not change, hoping we would not notice, but your employee will not touch the sheets without rubber gloves? I understand the safety precautions, but your guests should never have to see this happening. Every new guest should experience freshly made rooms every time, a room should never, ever be left with dirty sheets between guests. I once again called the front desk to explain what had just happened and while I was treated well, it had all left a seriously sour taste in my mouth. We were offered room service, however seeing as we were heading to bed that was not a viable solution. We've stayed in Holiday Inn & Suites that have surpassed this place. Scratch that, we've stayed at roadside motels that were cleaner. One last thing that happened on check out day...I took the dogs to a small park across the street and when I came back I was unable to get to my room with my key card. You have to scan the card first and then punch your room number in in order to leave the lobby. Red & Yellow lights were highlighting every time I tried so I finally decided to seek out some help. When a gentleman did come to help me, he turned and looked at me and said "Are you sure you belong here?" What does that even mean?? Employees need a major shaping up, they need to realize where they are working. This is not a small road side hotel or a small name hotel. It is a big name dealing with people who are spending a good deal of money with their establishment, they should be treating it that way. While we would stay with the Westin again in the future because it is the "nicest" hotel in the area, and again: the safest, I would definitely be watching the room for cleanliness, and I wouldn't go into the experience expecting any special treatment just because of the Westin name, price of the room, or beauty of the hotel which is sad, because it's exactly what you should expect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bobbie B
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectation or the high level quality we demand of ourselves. We value guest feedback, such as yours, as it only helps us to identify areas where we can provide better focus and improve our service. I apologies for the lack of cleanliness of the bedding and the encounter you had with the houseman who collected them. Your comments have been shared with the housekeeping department as well as hotel leadership. I wish to thank you again for you help in improving our service. Please feel free to contact me at westin.bookcadillac@westin.com to discuss your experience in more detail.

David W.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Book Cadillac Westin for business in January. It is one of the nicer hotels in downtown Detroit and has multiple restaurants, a bar, a coffee shop, a gift shop that sells drugstore items (which is nice considering the only cvs downtown closes very early), a large gym and an indoor swimming pool. Because I was alone, I ordered room service every night and they had a big menu and were willing to allow me to order things that were not on the menu. The coffee shop is a great place to pick up a quick breakfast before work. My only complaint was that I was given a room with an adjoining door to another larger room. The second night around 1 am, some extremely loud men, probably coming back to the hotel from the casino, were in the room next door and I could not sleep because of it. Because of the adjoining door, I felt very uncomfortable in the situation. However, the next day when I told the front desk about it, they immediately changed me to a new room. If you are staying in downtown Detroit, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review. It’s unfortunate that some people do not respect those around them and we were glad to be able to accommodate your need to change rooms. On your next visit, we hope to earn all 5’s. Thank you again.

Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Rooms are absolutely fabulous. Extremely spacious, especially the bathrooms. Beds are some of the most comfortable I have slept on. Hotel is very clean and inviting. Has a very artsy/trendy feel about it. Great location. Cab rides are cheap in downtown Detroit and you are just minutes from the center of activty including Greek Town and the Casinos. Employees were great and very helpful. Restaraunt on the main floor as well as a gift shop. Check in is on the 2nd floor. Valet parking available or you can self park in parking ramp.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
It is great to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel, especially the Heavenly Bed and our generous room size. We look forward to having you as a guest again very soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Luxurious but unpretentious. Staff super nice. The ceilings in the common areas like lobby are sky high and makes this hotel feel grand and regal. The continental breakfast included a yummy, smooth yogurt -huge berries and perfectly ripe fruit-delightful offering of pastries.We also ate wings and snacks in the bar area and enjoyed these as well.

We stayed at end of Nov so walked down street to the cutest little ice skating rink. Drove to eat famous Slow's Bbq. Walked to movies and restaurants like Hard rock cafe and wal-greens nearby as well.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking time to provide your review and for the many nice complements about your stay. We are glad to read you were able to go to the Campus Martius Park ice rink. The park is two block from the hotel and voted one of the top ten downtown parks in the country. If you’re here in the summer there is much to enjoy in the park, like live music and movies at night.

Derby, Kansas
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a nice hotel. Refurbished five years ago. Most of the employees are nice/courteous. The good. It is in a great location to the Cobo center. The employees are great. the bad. Housekeeping does not know the word clean. We stayed here 5 nights. We had to call the front desk three of the five days for clean glasses, toilet paper, and Kleenex. The bathroom floor was NOT cleaned once. The Weston is your basic big city down town property. Expensive food and drink. The best place for breakfast is the Hudson Cafe (5minute walk) lunch or dinner try Big City next to the holiday Inn express.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We are sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. In reading you comments, it seems that there was a misunderstanding of the Westin Make the Green Choice program. The program, which gives a guest 500 SPG points or a $5 food and beverage voucher for each day they decline housekeeping, is an instrumental part of our sustainability initiative. By participating guest decline all services of housekeeping, i.e. towels, amenities replenishment, bed making, etc. With your comments, we will look at how we are communicating the program specifics and identify opportunities to improve the process. Thank you for your help in improving the MGC program.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

It is one of the most Westin-like hotels around the world with modern interior and luxury bathroom. It is comfortable to sleep in and the food is great whether in-room dining or early breakfast.

Only caveat is that just don't walk out at night and just watch out for the surroundings when you walk outside of hotel. I tried to grab a drink by going to supermarket next door but even there seems quite dangerous (for a tourist) and now understand why Westin offers beverages (not overpriced though) in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We are please that you enjoyed our property and our Culinary Team will be happy to read your complement about your dining experiences. Downtown Detroit and the area around the hotel is experiencing many positive improvements and we were happy have been the catalyst for development here. We are excited about how the area is making such a strong comeback. Thank you again for your review.

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I always stay at Westins when I travel as I know I will always have a good bed and a good shower. The bed at this Westin didn´t disappoint though I was surprised by the lack of toiletries in the bathroom. Not even a shower cap. The rooms were large and the check in smooth and friendly. I did think the bell service was a bit slack. Sure it was snowing heavily but not one of them came to help me with my luggage. Considering they were watching me slipping and sliding across the ice that was pretty bad. Once inside, they fell all over me but by this time I had my luggage under control and wasn´t feeling inclined to them tip someone for the easy part! Roast downstairs is fabulous, and the bar just off to the side of reception is a nice spot to sit and have a quiet drink. Westin - please train your bell service on "service"!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review; it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower. Obviously we are disappointed to read of your experience with front door team. Please accept our apologies that you were not offered assistance with your luggage, this is not the level of service we aim to provide. Your comments have been shared with the team. We are certain that if given an opportunity, you will experience the high level of service we have become known for.