“Great hotel but........”

Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great hotel but........”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This history of this hotel is incredible (just google 'Book Cadillac'). When it was built in 1924 it was the tallest hotel in the world. The hotel is what you would expect from a Westin and I stay here frequently.

My only complaint is that the lounge for SPG rewards members is closed on Monday nights and only open until 7PM on all other nights. This is a significant drawback compared to the Marriott just a few blocks away. I've asked the front desk agents about the lounge being closed Monday and closing so early other nights and have never heard an explanation. Disappointing for an otherwise great hotel......and not what I've experienced as a Platinum SPG member at other Westins.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Detroit for The Little Caesars Bowl Game in December 2012. This was a nice hotel. The room was clean and the service was good. We were a little dissapointed with the hotel restaurant we visited for breakfast. They only had one person as the greeter, waitress and server. We ended up waiting for at least 10 mins to be seated. Not to mention the meal was a bit pricey. The first night we arrived we asked the doorman for a good place to eat. Unfortunately we were directed to the WORST Coney Dog place on earth. We noticed they were sending other unsuspecting guests there over the next few days. They must be getting a referral fee. The food was AWFUL! Otherwise, the hotel itself was very nicely decorated and has very nice presentation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TXRegalQueen
pittsburgh
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very nice hotel front I think they use it in the Chrysler 300 TV adds. Very cool entrance with ck in on the second floor. The Bar was very large and had many over stuffed chairs with a nice view of downtown Detroit. It was a short walk to the People mover and for $1.00 you can take it around the city, I took it to Greektown Casino, one of three in the city. It was very busy as it was a Friday Night but I had some luck. After visiting the other Casinos I went back to the Hotel, The room was very large as was the Bathroom and very clean, the bed was very warm and I slept like I was at home. I thought the Bar drinks were a little over priced. I will stay here next time I,am in MOTOWN.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank saltman
Washington DC
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I traveled to Detroit for the North American International Auto Show and stayed at the hotel for one night. When I arrived, no one was stationed at the check in desk or concierge and it took several minutes before I could track down someone. I received an huge upgraded room that was very clean. I declined the key to the refreshment bar that was included in the room.

When I checked out the hotel the next day, I received my bill which included the charge to use the hotel's Internet service. The following day, I received a revised bill that included a charge for using the refreshment bar. This wasn't possible since I declined the key to open the bar. I contacted the hotel and was forwarded to an automated billing complaint line. A few day after not receiving a response, I called the hotel again and finally got to speak to a manager. I expect the charge will now be taken care of.

Overall, it's a very nice hotel, but the service has room to improve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CapTrav2012
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Westin Book Cadillac
When we paid the visit they did some refurbishments in the entrance area and ball room areas, so "clean and very neath" impression was a little disturbed. We stayed in the hotel in 2009, and had a great experience. This was the reason for our return. Unfortunately the experience was not this great this time. Hard to define why, maybe we had too high expectations based on the pervious time?

Rooms:
The room was spacious, clean og modern. Big beds and plenty of space for luggage. The bathroom was very spacious with nice shower and amenities.

Service:
The service was good, somehow it was so good as to what we experience in 2009. The staff was polite, service minded and nice.

Location:
The Westin Book Cadillac is located downtown Detroit. Very good location and easy to find. There are valet parking and also self parking. The parking house is located in the building next to the hotel and easy and find.

There are two People Mover stations not fare from the hotel - only few minutes walk. This was a smooth way to move around downtown. Smooth to leave the car in the parking house.

We had a fine stay at the Westin Book Cadillac. It is a very nice hotel, centrally located and with modern and very comfortable rooms. If you get a good price we can recommend it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReiseKurre
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent a long weekend in Detroit mixing some business with pleasure. This property made the weekend perfect.
Because of the age of this historic building, rooms are very large and comfortable. Being a Westin, the beds are extra comfy. The rooms feature a full desk area which was great for finishing up last minute work. And the bathroom was very large and stylish.
The health club is well equipped and the pool area is functional. I used valet parking but you can access the parking lot easily for self parking, just ask the doorman.
Definitely my favorite place to stay when in Detroit.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a corner room, they are slightly larger that the others (and rooms here a very l...