“Very Nice Hotel in Downtown Detroit”

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Ohio
“Very Nice Hotel in Downtown Detroit”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed 3 nights for a conference - just happened to be during playoff games. So everything was very busy! Staff was friendly and efficient. Food was very good and quite creative. My room was large, clean and very modern. There does seem to be some kind of aromatherapy spritz that automatically happens as you open the door to the room... not obnoxious- very subtle- but could be an issue for someone with sensitivity to scents. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank veggieOhio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I recently stayed at the Westin Book Cadillac. The hotel is conveniently located one block from the People Mover ($0.50 per ride) and in walking distance of several restaurants/stores. Though my room (#1508) had a less than desirable view (exterior walls of the hotel and an abandoned building), I would stay here again. My room was clean and roomy. The bath room was large compared to most hotel bathrooms. The two restaurants I visited in the hotel, Roast and Spa 19, had good food and service. There is a Starbucks in the lobby.

The only complaint I have is the lack of sound proofing. I frequently heard my flatulent neighbor and other neighbors closing their doors. Aside from this, my stay was perfect and I would suggest this hotel to anyone visiting Detroit.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lovelylanna
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This was my first trip to Detroit, and I came away with a great impression of the city thanks in large part to the people at the Westin Book Cadillac. (That, and the Lions winning Monday Night Football at home while I was there.) The staff did everything right to leave a positive impression on me -- at every step they were helpful and friendly, from the front desk to doormen to the business center.

The hotel itself is modern, very clean. The food is good. Only problem I have, which I have with many hotels, is the charge for WiFi. (When will hotels just give this away for free? At this point it's like paying extra for electricity.) But again, everything about this hotel was first-rate. And the value was great -- less than $140 a night for a king bed.

The hotel is a 25-minute drive from the airport ($45 taxi; $66 car service - I tried both and suggest going with the taxi given the price difference).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
Thank you for your informative review. We are so happy that your first trip to Detroit was a good one and that our team help leave you with a positive perception of the city. We hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us again.

Be Well,
David W.
Guest Relations Manager
CAPE COD
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights last week-end and it was very nice. Location near COMERICA PARK where the Tigers were playing, the MGM Casino and The Filmore Theater where we attended our sons wedding. Great room nicely painted and very clean. The front desk and staff including the Lounge and Cafe for breakfast was very good. Our experience with the contracted valet service was fine as there always were enough people there when we needed our car. Parking fees are high we think - $25 a day but then we got our car whenever we wanted at no additional charge. Only problem we had was on the week-end the room service was not good. after 6PM Friday and sat. and only after we called. In fact, it was bad enough on sat that we asked for towels only and we made the bed! They had to be understaffed or.....?? We will come back as it is 1st rate but do we have to make our own bed?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Fairport, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My stay at the hotel was during the North American International Auto Show. While I had nothing to do with the event the staff was well prepared to take care of EVERY guest.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed multiple nights at this hotel early this month. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Big bright bathrooms.
Decent gym. The lead restaurant, Roast, is pretty good, but the fine happy hour deals at the swanky bar are the deal. Beverages and a short list of food items are $3 or $4. The front desk staff are a bit distant, but who cares, and you don't get much by way of gratuities. But another key item for Starwood guests is the offer of 500 bonus Starwood points per day if you skip housekeeping. Overall, a nice, clean, modern hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room, if possible. Even more bright and airy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 28, 2011

First of all, I have to say I was impressed with the Westin Book Cadillac's recent investments to upgrade the facility. Amidst the depressing landscape of much of Detroit, this hotel looks great and hopefully can help revitalize the surrounding area.

The rooms have been updated to more contemporary decor. I had a nice room that unfortunately overlooked a parking garage (not the best view) but the inside was great; decent TV, comfortable heavenly bed, spacious bathroom. Very much in-line with the current Westin look. It was a miss not to have any notepad or pen by the phone, but maybe the nearby Staples was closed.

The bar downstairs was lively and fun, though $25 for a glass of Lagavulin scotch is really excessive.

What really brought this hotel down, in my opinion, was the HORRIBLE valet service when parking one's car. The wait was literally a half-hour in duration, even when I called down prior, on three separate occasions. It was both understaffed (only one guy working on Sunday morning, with a line of angry people trying to get to the airport) as well as not staffed with competent people (they lost my car twice out of three attempts). Total mayhem. We almost missed our flight as a result. What's worse, the bellmen were really nice and articulate and put together, which contrasted further with the comedy act being run by the valet guys,

Unfortunately based on this experience I couldn't say that I would come back to this Westin, despite the room itself being fine.

Room Tip: make sure not to get a view overlooking the parking garage
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple