“great stay”

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My visit was for a conference and found this hotel fantastic. It is a beautiful hotel was great bar and restaurant. Great place for a get away, Detroit itself was just OK there are some cool parts but have to know where you are going!
Also has a great gym and pool.

Room Tip: Had an oversize room on the 15th floor, not sure if they are all that size but enjoyed the sofa area...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed here in August and was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was! My colleague had stayed here several times and highly recommended it, but I was still a skeptical because I had never been to Detroit and there has been so much news coverage about Detroits economy that I didn't believe they had a hotel like this. It's been beautifully done and definitely lives up to (and often surpasses) the westin standards. The room are very new, clean, well decorated and very large! The room service is fast and tasty and the restaurant downstairs (Motor something) is awesome. My only slight complaint is that the gym is on the bottom floor and faces into an alley, so not much to look at. If my work brings me to Detroit again, I would stay here in a heartbeat! Great rates as well!!

• Stayed: August 2011
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Thank you for your review. We are glad that we were able to surprise and delight you. Thank you also for letting people know that Detroit is not just the negatives seen in the national news. There are many positive changes happening to the city every day.

Be Well,
David W.
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Overall a great hotel in a great location. When we arrived at 3.30pm to check in, there was 3 staff serving so 3 lines with about 5 people in each line. But things then started to get hectic and the lines grew. They were fully booked with the Tigers game, a concert in town & several weddings. Unfortunately, the delay was due to still cleaning of the rooms (at 4pm, why not bring in extra staff to ensure all rooms are ready for scheduled check in from 3pm), so as soon as a room was cleaned & available, the staff just assigned the next room, irrespective of the room you had booked. We were lucky and got a suite which was huge. Not bad for us as we used Priceline to make our booking, so was expecting a standard room. Spent 30 minutes in line though.
The room was therefore huge, with a huge bathroom and 2 TV's. It was clean & very comfortable. We also didn't hear much noise considering it was fully booked, but we were on a high level floor.
Valet parking at $25 was abit expensive, but you could go in & out as often as you'd like.
Even though they couldn't handle being fully booked, we overall enjoyed out stay. The valet needed 15 mins notice you get your car, so at 9.30am it was a little hectic with cars everywhere, but I felt they handled that a lot better than the check in staff. But, still not sure I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and to let us know of the service challenges you faced. We are happy that your overall experience was a positive one; we do apologize for falling short in certain areas. As always, all guest reviews are shared with our leadership teams who are thankful for the feedback which allows us to identify areas where we can bring improvements.

Be Well,
David W.
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed September 6, 2011

The rooms were top notch and to the highest Westin standards.

The service was OK, but a little bit of attitude at the front desk was not necessary. On the plus side, the valet service was excellent and the valet staff was friendly and very helpful.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

I have been intrigued by this hotel since it I was in high school and used to drive downtown from the burbs to photograph it as an abandoned hulk. In my wildest dreams, I never thought that ten years later I would be staying there as an overnight guest! (to see what I mean checkout forgottendetroit.com).

Anyway, I was there on opening day back in October 2008 and have been a regular visitor to the hotel since then. Whether it is for dinner, drinks, to show family/friends the hotel, I have been visiting this jewel for almost three years. I finally had the opportunity to spend the night there last night.

The room definitely lived up to it's expectations. Very Westin-like and very clean, nice and fresh feeling. The breakfast in the Boulevard Room was great.

Of course being in mgmt myself, I do have a few recommendations to the mgmt to take note of:
-Time for a window cleaning, at the least the windows on the 14th floor facing the parking garage.
-It may be time to start doing some minor room sprucing up (after all it has been three years): a couple of the lampshades in the room were a little bent, some of the dark wood furniture was minorly scratched, also it would be nice if the ceiling light at the room entrance could have a warmer, softer light. Harsh white, flourescent lights have no business being in these rooms. Switch the bulb out with a warmer, lower wattage light OR add a dimmer.
-Valet took 35 minutes (no exagerration) to get my vehicle. Now we were probably checking out with about half of the other patrons (every elevator was completely packed) BUT maybe valet could have been better staffed based upon check-in/check-out days.

Overall, I love this hotel and knowing its history of how far it fell from grace, how it was saved and how it was returned to the beautiful palace it was meant to be makes this hotel that much better.

I'm telling you, check out online the abandoned pictures that were taken just a few years ago and then visit the restored hotel in person! It will mean that much more to you by doing that.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed here one night before heading out to lake country... The hotel was very clean with several restaurants within walking distance. Our room was spacious and clean. (Aside from the windows which needed a good cleaning on the outside). Although Detroit can seem a little intimidating to walk around, we had no problems walking from the hotel to areas near the Fox Theater, Greektown Casino, etc. even in the evening.

I would stay here again if I needed to be downtown.

The only possible negatives I might add are:
- parking is about $25, valet only
- downtown Detroit is pretty depressed and obviously so with the many abondoned buildings surrounding the hotel
- though the hotel is clean and modern, it's not much more interesting than that
- the building exterior needs a deep cleaning
- the rooms are a bit overpriced

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The Westin Book Cadillac is a great hotel. My wife and I stayed here for a Saturday night, and could not have picked a better place to stay. Check-in was quick and efficient, with the front desk confirming (without prompting) that I was a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) member, and giving us a great room on the 17th floor.

The room, 1701, was a little walk from the elevator, but had a nice view and a good layout. The hotel has great restaurants inside, but we choose to head to Woodward, and eat at a couple of the restaurants there. Next time, I would like to try Roast which was pretty busy on Saturday.

The hotel does the little things correctly (like asking if I wanted the folio emailed or paper copy slid under the door, having 2 bottles of complementary water for being an SPG member, etc) . All in all, I will definitely be back.