All reviews comerica park office building wxyz bar people mover ford field historic building opera house fox theater marble floors within walking distance tiger stadium elevator doors cool hotel modern rooms woodward ave ball park valet parking
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While the hotel and it rooms and state of the art and as expected, I have to say the staff was not. It all started with several wrong charges to my credit-card. The next day the staff was apologetic but could not help - I was simply told I had to call my credit card company. Worst comment was, "sorry Sir we now this credit card machine is sometimes not working properly.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE the LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

The People Mover stops right at the hotel (Grand Circus Park stop), and from there, we could get to most places in downtown (Greektown, Renaissance Center). The best part though was that we were in amazing walking distance from the new Little Caesars Arena (LET'S GO RED WINGS, LET'S GO TO WORK PISTONS!), Ford Field (GO LIONS), and Comerica Park (GO TIGERS!).

The only improvement I'll recommend is more cabinet space in the room. We were upgraded to the corner junior King suite (Thanks, Parker!), and we stayed for three nights...but there were only five hangers to share between my wife and me, and there was no real cabinet space in the room.

Needless to say, we'll be staying again. My friend from Germany flew in with his fiancee, and being a huge Detroit Tigers fan, he was in awe of the location, the bed (he kept saying it was the best sleep he's had in a while), and just the modern lobby.

Thanks for a great and memorable weekend!

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2018

I booked a total of two rooms for my father and wife who were seniors and myself and spouse. When I called and spoke with staff I asked for the best price and even let the employee know I had AAA. He assured me that the rate he was giving me was the best rate. I DO NOT normally pay in full ahead of time but to get this rate I accepted. The charge went through a couple of month before our arrival date. Keep in mind I was paying interest on that. When it got closer to the date of arrival I went to the website and noticed that there was a senior rate available. I called the hotel and yes there was for fifteen dollars per room less. However I was told since I prebooked and the deadline to cancel was up they could not help me. All of this was irritating but still not a major problem. When I first booked I was told I could have early check in at 1 oclock p.m. instead of three. That was great because we were coming with two dogs and had no where else to put them due to extreme heat. Also a week earlier I spoke to an employee and he left the phone to ask someone how late we could check out the next day . He came back from the phone and said 4 oclock. I thought how unusual it was to get to stay that late in the day but felt grateful for it. I then sent an email to the hotel confirming what was told to me by employee in case they were wrong. It was very important to have the correct schedule due to having dogs and elderly parents along. So you know where this is going-we got there at 100 p.m and the staff member said that, the request was just a suggestion for early check in and our rooms would not be ready until regular check in although they would work on getting in earlier. I was also informed that the late check out I had requested was not going to happen and that the latest check out would be 1 oclock pm the next day. When I complained the employee said that they had a full house the night before and that was why we had to wait for our room. He said if we were marriott members they could have probably gotten us in earlier. I did see one couple with a dog check in right away and I assume they were members. I was very frustrated at that time and mentioned the senior discount we were not offered. I was told that the reservations staff are not obligated to offer the discount rates and that it would offend if they did because the person who they asked would think they sounded old. When asked about late check in and why staff offered it at 400pm, he said they should not have and did I know the name of the person so he could advise him of the policy. Again, I did not write down staff names during discussions but will from now. The hotel did comp one night of parking and that made up for the 30.00 we lost on senior discount. However, the inconvenience of having the wrong information and having to sit in the lobby for an hour with my dogs was not worth the comp. I felt unimportant and stressed out during my stay and could not enjoy what was supposed to be a bonding time with my elderly parents.

Room Tip: The higher up the less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family
SilviyaT20, Manager at Aloft Detroit at The David Whitney, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

Hello, thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize about the unpleasant experience you had at our property. The reason for the delay during check-in was that there are only a couple of rooms in the building that matched the room you booked and needed. Unfortunately, with limited availability like this one we depend on the guest from the night before to depart, so we can appropriately clean the room. I apologize we did not meet your expectations. I am truly sorry we were not able to take care of your requests. If you would like to further discuss this matter, please reach out to me at the hotel. Thank you so much! Hope you have a great day!

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Let me start off by saying I have never left a review in my life but me and my fiancee are still disdained over our experience. We actually liked your facility it was nice but we expected a little more for the price, but still not a terrible disappointment and the location was perfect for where we needed to be. We had the rudest experience with your bartender. Some shorter  auburn haired girl in her late 20s or 30s. Your employee was much to preoccupied attending to what we assume was her boyfriend than us the customer and appeared to be intoxicated alchol or drugs when you can smell marijuana which personally makes me nauseous and the person is behind a counter top there's a huge problem with that, but we both felt it was more than that if not a combination. She argued with us over our orders and didn't know how to make them which we told her the way we wanted them prepared. She tried to correct us even pulling out her phone. We wanted a drink made a certain way and she responded with this horrible attitude and ghetto slang. Me and my fiancee are both African American and comming from a white woman we find extremely offensive. This is obviously her career and both of us having worked in the service industry while obtaining our  degrees tolerate alot, but neither of us have ever become this offended this was just plane rude and ignorant if not racist. We left which we didn't want too because we had planned a night in. We took a taxi to the MGM casino and had a nice night. We wanted to speak to a manager at check out but my fiancee just wanted to leave. Word to management for having a nicer establishment you should do a better screening process and drug test your staff. Unfortunately we can longer support your business because of the way we were treated by your staff.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
SilviyaT20, Manager at Aloft Detroit at The David Whitney, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2018

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We truly appreciate your feedback. As part of our company policy, we perform comprehensive pre-screening for all associates. We take matters like this seriously and we will look into this issues further, and respond accordingly. I am truly sorry about the experience you had at the bar. I can assure you that this instance does not indicate the service we provide, and I am embarrassed your evening was less than perfect at our location. If you would like to further discuss this issue, please get in touch with me at the hotel - 313 237 1700. Once again, I hope you and your fiancée accept our apologies and decide to give us another chance in the future. Thank you so much!

Reviewed September 6, 2018

This is an amazing hotel near Comerica Park - great views of infield if you get a room on the right side. Vanity areas are on the smaller side, but I would recommend a stay here. Would also consider the Book Cadillac as a more luxurious option.

Room Tip: top floor city views a must - walls can be thin
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends