“Surprisingly nice Conference Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of MotorCity Casino Hotel

MotorCity Casino Hotel
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Ada, Michigan
“Surprisingly nice Conference Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Upon arriving, I was a little concerned because in a residential area that doesn't have a lot to offer. Once I was inside, I had no reason to leave for my 3 day conference. The rooms are lovely and plush, with all the amenities you need. I was on the 7th floor and it was quiet. I enjoyed the bar up top which had a band and dance floor, good bartenders, fun surroundings and a great view of the skyline. As a conference center, very handy with the walk from rooms to education areas pretty easy, lots of eating options between sessions and good food served at the conference. The meeting rooms were all close and it was easy to navigate. The service from the bell staff, to front desk, to security to banquet servers to housekeepers was excellent and consistent. You could tell they were trained and motivated to customer service. Nice job. So I splurged for room service and ordered a pizza. My Little Caesars Pepporoni pizza came up piping hot and I swear the best I have ever had. The cheesecake was awesome too. I did not venture into the casino because of the busy conference schedule, but qutie a nice hotel and look forward to attending at least business functions in the future here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

I'll agree, the casino lobby does smell like a frat boy trying to cover up his booze stench with bad cologne, but it's tolerable and made us laugh every time. It's a casino, it's going to be smokey and loud and crowded...you're not going there to relax and be pampered.

We stayed at the hotel too which was slightly disappointing for the $180. We booked a room online through their website which advertised packages starting at $149, unfortunately that price is only good on weekdays, so we got just the room for $159 plus tax.

The hotel lobby was modern and well appointed. The elevators are off-set and guarded so you don't get a bunch of casino folk wandering all over the building. For a while there I was stuck on the elevators in total confusion because they don't tell you that the last two only go from the lobby to the top floor restaurant after a certain time.

The room had an awesome bed, really comfy and well dressed. We were missing many standard items from our room though, and getting them was a hassle (coffee cups, garbage can, etc...) and our hairdryer was broken to bits with exposed wires and wrapped up by housekeeping like no one would notice. I think I waited 40 minutes for a new one, which by that time it was barely needed.

The rain shower is annoying and takes a life time because of low water pressure, but the bathroom was beautiful. Nice soaking tub and separate room for the toilet. They ask you to hang your wet towels if you're willing to reuse them in order to promote their "green" efforts, but there's nowhere to hang them other than two little hooks, so they never have a chance to dry if you're using any more than one a piece and/or a bathrobe. Good ideas, just poorly executed.

There were at least 150 people waiting in line for food at 4 AM. The food was great so it was worth the wait, but go earlier or order room service if you don't like being bumped around by a bunch of starving drunk people.

Self parking was ample with easy access to the building. All of the staff and the concierge were very happy, understanding and helpful...there were 4 or 5 working at checkout time which takes almost 5 seconds at the counter. Even if there is a line of 50 people, you're either really impatient or worried they'd charge you for an extra day because you waited until 11:59 to go to the lobby.

I'd definitely give it a second go.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend for a short getaway from the kids. We had a really nice room with a great bed. A very relaxing time. We ate at Iridescence which was very good. We had the five course chef's tasting. Great way to experience new foods. We played a bit in the casino, but really enjoyed the room for the most part.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Grosse Pointe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

We were totally in awe after staying at the Motor City Casino Hotel. i HIT 3 jACKPOTS IN ONE NIGHT!! Went back down to the casino the next night and hit two more. Wow!! Now about the hotel...The rooms are absolutely breathtaking! This has to be Detroit's well kept secret! The beds are large and comfortable. But when the maid knocked at the door to asked us "What type of pillows we wanted to sleep with?" I was stunned. Seems they have pillows for back sleepers, side sleepers or stomach sleepers. lol Also the heat can be controlled from the television remote control, which is another reason not to get out of bed. The service was great and we ate at Iridescence Restaurant, which was truly a five star eating experience. This casino truly pays more Jackpots than any of the other Detroit casino's. (IMAO)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
DETRIOT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

The hotel is fine and people are friendly, but the lobby and casino area smells like cheap cologne. I don't mean someone personally over did it...I mean the casino try to hide the smell of smoke with some fragrance that smells like cologne. Totally Awful. It was the on going joke between everyone at the hotel. I still can't get that smell out of my noise. If I go there again and it still smells - it'll be a quick 180 out the door.

Rooms are nice and don't smell.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

Room was large and clean, as depicted on hotel web site. Since we stayed on a Friday night, the rate was rather expensive. We booked a package that gave us "credit" to use for food. The credit did not appear on our bill, but the charges were promptly removed when we mentioned it at check-out.
The deli in the food court area was better than expected. All of the bars were open to the casino floor, so they were a bit loud but provided for people watching.
Previous reviewers mentioned parking being far away, but valet is free for hotel guests.
Our biggest concern was the area around the casino. Most of the surrounding buildings were abandoned with broken windows. I would not recommend walking anywhere from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the MotorCity Casino Hotel for a rare weekend getaway. The hotel is as nice as any we've stayed at. The lobby is beautiful and modern and there is security at the elevators to keep non-guests off of the hotel floors. The guest floors are very clean and quiet (during the day/evening) and the rooms are fabulous and contemporary with flat screen televisions, down comforters on the bed and gorgeous marble bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower. The only issue we experienced is one I have read from other reviewers and that is that in the middle of the night (around 3 am) there were people seemingly hanging out in the hallway half-in-the-bag making a bunch of noise. This is a casino-hotel with a nightclub, so it shouldn't be unexpected that people are going to be partying pretty hard. A call to the front desk took care of the problem. The casino is nice, though not as nice as the MGM Grand and it is obviously not Las Vegas so keep it all in perspective. You'll be hard-pressed to find a finer hotel anywhere for the $149.00 rate. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple