“MotorCity Revs” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“MotorCity Revs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

A couple miles from Detroit's entertainment district sits the MotorCity Casino Hotel. Thank the city planners for its location, it was once the Wonder Bread factory. Here at the land of make-believe, you have the converted factory a.k.a. Vegas-style casino on two levels that offer a myriad of slots, games, bars and live music. Be careful though, the ventilation system is below par due to its inherent architecture.

The hotel on the other hand was built ground up and is a marvel in the city that could use a few more of them. Check in is efficient with the separate valet entrance for hotel guests. Elevators are secured 24/7 with security staff assuring guests only are using the hotel rooms.

Rooms are tastefully done in beiges with all the modern conveniences you want. Starbucks coffee, dual shower head stall shower, wet bar with microwave, comfy robes and slippers. I booked into a junior suite which featured a living room with dining table, single bath, vanity area and separate bedroom. I'm not sure why there was only a single sink.

There is a concierge level but the hours are minimal and inconvenient. Breakfast was open from 7-10AM and on a Sunday morning, it should be open until at least 11AM. Afternoon it is open only from 5-7PM.

The 24/7 workout room is among the best featuring free weights, and plenty of modern machines. Fresh fruit, yoga mats and an open space all very nice.

The Detour Spa is right out of Vegas and they charge a $25 day rate as well (complimentary with a service). Nice amenities, nice lockers, huge spa with rain shower for back massage. Steam and sauna. However, doesn't open until 9AM on Sunday, not sure about other days.

Food is OK although their 4-diamond restaurant on the 16th floor is very special. Other options include a walk-up deli, sit-down coffee shop (service is slow) and food court featuring mostly Little Caesar's (same owner as MotorCity). There is also a coffee bar serving Starbuck's.

Overall, the hotel is very clean, secure, comfortable and quiet. It is a good five minute walk from the casino so if the casino is not your thing, you can relax and enjoy without leaving the property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

When I entered the room it had a modern look, but the beds didn't look crisp. But I figured it was because of the nice down pillows and comforter. The beds are very comphie. But I didn't have a good first night sleep because my pillow smelled of cigarette smoke residue. The type of smell you get on your clothes from being in a smokey room. I think housekeeping figured out the mistake because there was no such smell the next night. I'm pretty sure the sheets were not new upon arrival. I was also surprised that the maid took my empty cans that were neatly arranged on the desk. I've never had that happen before. If I had wanted to donate the cans I would have put them in the trash can. The casino was very nice to my mother who has recently developed walking issues by providing a wheelchair for her use. One other thing, there were only enough towels for two people with three in the room. Lastly, the AC was on all the time blasting out cold air even though the thermostat was set to heat. This could be a great hotel if they improve on their housekeeping and HVAC.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Seavapor
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked this hotel as it was relatively close to Ford Field where we were going to see the Lion's play. The pictures and reviews seemed positive. And they were right. We really enjoyed our stay. All the staff we encountered were friendly,courteous and helpful. All our questions were answered no issues and they even offered extra info (Thank you to the gentleman on the consierge desk the day we left. He provided detailed instructions on how to get back to the highway).
The room was very nice, lots of little extras and comforts. We did not use the mini bar or snacks but there was plenty to choose from. There were several options for eating with a variety of food and pricing.
The casino was very large and busy. We forgot what it was like to be in smoke filled establishment. We didn't stay very long as the smoke bothered us. We found out later there is a smoke free area. We will go back there again and perhaps stay two nights so we can enjoy more of the hotel. Highly recommend this hotel. Also the security is very good.
Note - the stopper in the tub does work, it just needs to be inserted correctly. Took my husband a few minutes but got it figured out. Heaven to sit in that tub. Also the hotel is not in the best of neighbourhoods but we walked home from the game without problem. Cab ride was only $5 to get to Ford Field.

Room Tip: we were on the 12 floor. We didn't have any issues with noise.
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The room was tastefully decorated and very well laid out with plenty of room including a large bathroom with a tub that water cascaded out of the faucet. We stayed in a deluxe room and it was clean clean clean,and, well stocked . Room service was fast and very very reasonably priced. The food was great and the server was excellent.. We enjoyed a goodnights sleep, It was very quiet we didn't hear hallway noise even though our room was halfway down the hallway. From the first employee we encountered at valet to the last employee at checkout and all staff in between they were TOP NOTCH. It was a great little getaway!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 725. You might prefer a room closer to the elavators and ice machine,for less wal...
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel from the outside is very impressive, inside it was very spacious and blew me away. I had a room on the 7th floor,but they do have lifts. The receptionists were helpful. A valet took our bags upto the room, and I recommend you give him a tip as they really do work hard to make your arrival smooth.The room itself was massive. I looked at the 2 double beds and saw how tidy and comfortable they both were. The TV was great and the mini bar had a good selection of drinks and snacks. The Bathroom was something else,Luxurious, it was so big, it had a shower, toilet and bath but separated in different small rooms. So I was really happy. I had a play and stay package which mean't you could have a go in the casino, well worth doing this. This Hotel has various restaurants to suit everyone and the portions are Big. Highly recommended. I stayed here so I could visit the Motown Museum with my Family and it wasn't too far away. I also had a view of the bridge to Canada!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank shaun1968red
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband had a business trip to Detroit the same weekend as our 10th wedding anniversary, so he took me along and booked us for one night at this Casino Hotel. The room was wonderful -- spacious, clean, modern, luxurious and afforded a great view of downtown and of the bridge to Canada. This was my first trip to Detroit, and it was really interesting. The hotel feels very safe and is clean and seemingly well run, but it was rather surreal driving through much of the Detroit area, seeing whole abandoned neighborhoods, tagged buildings, and many, many empty lots. The buffet was quite good, the casino felt just like Las Vegas, and the room was, as mentioned, well above average. Two minor inconveniences -- the ipod station did not work, nor did the stopper in the absolutely fabulous sunken tub in the bathroom. I improvised and used a washcloth to stop the drain and had a lovely bath. One major inconvenience -- we ordered room service breakfast and when it came it was incorrect. We called to explain, they said they'd fix it quickly and be up with a new omelette pronto. They did arrive quite soon with a different breakfast, but this one was also wrong! I'm thinking somebody in the kitchen just couldn't get their act together that morning. To the hotel's credit, they did say they would remove the charges for the breakfasts. Valet parking was free and quick. Getting around Detroit was not easy, however, because of many closed off and blocked streets. I hope that Detroit restores itself fully and well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 10th floor or higher, facing downtown.
2 Thank AdventuresWithMary
Lansing
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the MotorCity for a family reunion dinner and program. Pluses include : the location (close to downtown) the free Valet , the well appointed and large rooms, comfortable beds, Celebrity watching (Tiger players , etc ) and some of the staff. Negatives include : the location (run down neighbor ) , refrigerators that ONLY accomodate overpriced hotel liquour and snacks that you get CHARGED for if you disturb the sensors beneath the bottles (seriously there is not enough spare room in the fridge for a bottled water!), inconsistent room and bell person assistance. and maid service that doesnt prepare rooms till 5p or later for check in.

Room Tip: Try to arrive EARLY for check in. A few rooms are cleaned early . Everyone else has a long wait...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family