“Glad we stayed at the MotorCity (again!)”

MotorCity Casino Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Kannapolis, North Carolina
“Glad we stayed at the MotorCity (again!)”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at the MotorCity Casino Hotel the first weekend in June. We did not realize all that was going on in the city that weekend (Tigers games, Belle Isle Grand Prix, concerts, etc) so the city was really buzzing, as was the hotel.
The parking for hotel guests changed since the last time we stayed but it was still very convenient. Hotel valet is even easier to use now.
The check-in process was smooth and the representative was friendly.
As you approach the elevators, you have present your key card to security before heading upstairs. Someone in a previous review here had a complaint about that, which I find unbelievable! The security at this hotel is second to none and I appreciate the fact that they want their guests safe! I will show my room key all day long to the guard if it contributes to my personal safety.
The room was well appointed and very clean. We had a great view of the city and the bridge.
We had to get to the Tigers game so we took a cab. They are very convenient and located right outside the casino. The bellmen were also helpful in advising how much a trip to Comerica Park should cost (somewhere around $5) so we knew we were not being ripped off!
The casino was a little friendlier this time around. They have a $5 Wheel of Fortune machine that seemed to call our names all weekend!
For those that are accustomed to Las Vegas and free drinks while gambling - watch out. The cocktail servers are meandering around the casino floor so we ordered two Coronas. When he came back with the beer, it was $8! No free alcohol while gambling in the state of Michigan we found out! Not the casino/hotel's issue, of course, but the servers should make it known there is a retail price for the alcohol.
I did make use of the business center briefly one morning and found it to be very convenient with free laser printing and internet.
The housekeepers were very friendly and did a great job.
We ate at Little Caesars one night and the pizza was delicious. It seems to be one of the better deals with hotel food - a whole deep dish pizza for $14.
I do wish the gift shop/sundries (now combined in one since they added a smoke-free casino section) had a little more to choose from. I think they need a little better variety of items like some souvenir shirts/keychains. I didn't win enough to buy that $450 jersey hanging on the wall, although they do have a good snack selection.
Even though the hotel was full, it was very quiet. They have a "quiet rule" after 11pm and it must be enforced because we didn't hear a peep all weekend.
We stayed three nights and enjoyed every one of them. We stayed at the MGM last year (MotorCity was booked) and liked it, but I still prefer the MotorCity when visiting Detroit and will be happy to stay there again next summer!

Room Tip: Ask for the downtown/bridge view room. We could see Comerica Park and Ford Field from the left side...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Highland, Maryland
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I'm not a casino guy --- was here for 3 days for a conference. Mixing with the "casino crowd" coursing through the lobby constantly was not so great. Nevertheless, the rooms are quite nice, the view across the river to Canada quite nice, the FREE INTERNET the way every hotel should do it. The restaurant / bar choices downstairs weren't so great, as of course they want you to drink in the casino. The restaurant at the top floor is pricey but really a treat.

Room Tip: ask for view towards downtown Detroit, the river, and Canada
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I speak from experience, since its opening, Motor City Casino has declined rapidly.

Overall? NOT worth too much time or money, because of the guaranteed bad experience.

I still play there, but I am better prepared. I hope to better prepare you.

Casino:

Slots, fairly decent in my opinion; through out entire casino are various good slots; some days are looser than others.

I believe they abide by the %.

Tables overall good dealers, friendly and professional.

Expect people to beg you for money or steal. Seems to be a lot of homeless in there.

Hardly can find a waitress. Hit/Miss on service and attitude. Save the dollar - get it yourself at the beverage station.

Beverage Stations: I have seen 3 and base my review on them (4 counting poker room)

2 on first floor opposite ends of the casino. 1 on second floor in the corner.

Sodas & Ice run out quickly. Coffee, if you like black, because there usually isn't any regular sugar or creamer. Usually dirty with spillings or not enough cups.

Bar & staff at lower front bar off escalator, AVOID (unless you need matches which are "hidden" behind the bar. I guess those matches are more expensive than the $11 on a pack of cigarettes?).

Go to the back or upstairs, better service.

Restrooms: Dirty almost always entire casino. I suggest the one near the food court on NON busy days. Other than that, be prepared dirty: floor, stalls, wash area.

Food: Buffet crowded always at dinner time. Some employees hygine I call into question- Eat at your own risk.

Business Center: good for quick computer use

Gift Shop: Over priced cheap or broken merchandise. Good only for a soda/toiletries.

Hotel Decor: Outside nice and posh.

Hotelroom: DIRTY! Don't take off your shoes. Don't leave things on the floor/in drawer.

My last visit June 2012, seen some powder around bed and outlining the corners of things.

Wear the complimentary slippers in the shower. Lysol your toilet seat. Don't drink from cups.
Don't remove things from the mini bar, unless you plan on paying for it.

Staff will enter your room. Secure your belongings at all times expect a "visit".

Don't make Long distance calls they require a $7+ surcharge.

You will usually find 1 thing not working or missing. Whether it be the remote, towels, scale, lights, mirror, etc. Make sure you are not charged for missing items, the robe costs $99.

The area is rundown. Do not attempt walking outside. Catch a cab to downtown.

Sad and honest review.

If you are looking to have a good time, I suggest the other casinos Greektown or MGM.

Room Tip: A suite with bugspray.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank citygirl5055
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Upon arrival at this hotel we joked that if we wanted to walk and explore the area we would have to do so in an armored vehicle, as it isn't in a very nice area. We wanted Pizza so my husband went to the front desk to see who in the area had good pizza. Front desk staff let him know that we order from our rooms and when the delivery person comes they will call us to come down. The Pizza came and I went down to pay, 2 security guards from the hotel watched me pay for the pizza but when I went to take it up to my room they said I was not allowed to order pizza from outside the hotel. I said "well you should tell the front desk employees about this rule so that they don’t tell hotel patrons how to order pizza. After a 5-minute discussion on whether I was or was not going to be allowed to take the pizza up to my room, they finally let me take it. On the way up the elevator another lady had overheard my conversation with the security guards and told me that they had not allowed her to take a cooler to her room, they had to leave it in the car.
Apparently they don't have rules regarding allowing hookers into the rooms. Around 11 pm I was travelling in in the elevator with my daughter when a gentlemen and his "lady friend" got into the elevator. She was obviously bought and paid for (the same as my pizza) but had no hassle when getting by the guards. When they got off the elevator my daughter could not stop commenting of the lady with the see through pants. My husband and I travel a lot and we are not snobs by any means but I would not go back to that hotel again. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I know. Although the rooms are very nice the hotel was loud, a lot of door slamming and partying in the halls, maybe the security guards were too busy eating confiscated pizza?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Boobear2
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Some friends of mine were staying at this hotel in Detroit where we were meeting up to see a concert. I stayed with them for one night as the show was just down the street. The hotel and casino is new and quite beautiful. Check-in was seamless as we were there at the appropriate time. The room, along with the rest of the hotel, was decorated beautifully with updated and modern fixtures and amenities. The bathroom was similar to one of the swanky bathrooms in the rooms at Bellagio Las Vegas (a favorite of mine): separate marble shower with soaking tub. Very impressive. There's a food court to get a quick breakfast or lunch if on the go. Also, we stayed on a Thursday night and the casino was jumping. It seemed like a lively place to hang out if you like gambling and/or drinking. The staff were all extremely friendly and accommodating. One note, you will encounter the staff/security often during your visit. This lovely hotel/casino is in a transitional neighborhood to put it nicely. It seemed a little scary, but I felt very safe inside the hotel. The staff does not let people wander aimlessly through their establishment. You must show a room key in order to get to the elevators to the guest rooms. They will ask to see ID when you walk into the casino. If you're sitting in the lobby charging your cell phone (as I was before my journey home), security will nicely ask if you're okay. I assume this is done for the safety of the guests and patrons, and the staff couldn't have been nicer while doing their job. I didn't pay for the room, but my friend told me that it was an extremely reasonable rate. If that's the case when you book, consider this hotel because it truly does have upscale amenities. Just make sure you have a car (there is free parking) to visit some other areas of the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Michigan
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We play and gamble at MotorCity Casino and because of that we get complimentary rooms. The rooms are nice and spacious with a modern updated look. I really like the look of the rooms because that it what makes or breaks a hotel in my opinion the look and feel of it. There is a separate valet service for hotel guest that is complimentary. There is also the D. Tour spa that is located on the lower level of the hotel. It features spa services that you can purchase. As well as perks for hotel guest. The fitness center is no charge for hotel guest and is open 24 hours a day. You can also enjoy the rain spa, Jacuzzi and sauna if you are a guest at the hotel with a day pass that you purchase.The day pass is very reasonable.The restaurant choices are all very good options. You can eat the the buffet, get a coffee, or burgers at one of the different restaurant choices. You can go eat, gamble, listen to live music or go to the spa and be back at your hotel room within minutes. It's a great mini relaxation or fun getaway. It's really what you make it. You have the options to do quite a few things here One last thing the beds are Super Comfortable! I'm going to look at who makes the beds when I go next time.Because I want one. They are that comfortable to me.

Room Tip: Go to the D. Tour Spa. Buy a day pass and use it for the jacuzzi, sauna and rain shower/bath!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shanell411
Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

We came here for a 2 day getaway. Rooms are clean and spacious. Staff is very friendly. Access to casino is simple from hotel.

• Stayed May 2012