“Beautiful hotel with a lot to offer”

MotorCity Casino Hotel
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Beautiful hotel with a lot to offer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed here as a part of a road trip and it is a very beautiful and well-run hotel. The rooms are very nice and comfortable and the food served here, especially at the Pit Stop restaurant is superb, and I recommend their corned beef sandwich. There is also a convenient 24 hour fitness center with excellent equipment to work out with that I enjoyed. My only problem with it is that the area that its in is kind of sketchy looking because of some boarded up houses, but not the worst in Detroit. Thankfully the security here is like Fort Knox, with patrol cars always driving around the property and with security guards always present. I enjoyed my stay overall, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Rochester, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Overall, it was not a pleasant stay. I was getting married that day and we have several issues with the hotel. During check-in, we were pressed for time and the line was outrageous. I was getting married in 2 hours and did not have the time it took to wait. There was no manager on staff to assist with issue as well when asked. Finally, when we spoke with an associate, she couldn't find our reservation and I had to pay for an additional $50 deposit that I was not aware of. The check-in process made everything that much more stressful. When we got to our room, we discovered the issues with lighting. The lighting in our bathroom, even with the make-up mirror, was inadequate. My wedding party had a horrible time trying to do our make-up because we couldn't get the lighting any brighter. For a bride, this was greatly upsetting! The walls were so thin in our room, I could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallway and the person using the bathroom in the room next to us! The sheets were terrible (itchy and scratchy) - not what I expected at all. The sheets should have been a lot softer. Our hotel was beautiful, but not worth the $240 we spent on our room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Our stay started poorly with some housekeeping issues. There was some garbage in a drawer (I'm not going to even mention what this garbage was. Yuck!). Housekeeping came right up to remove it from the room. Later on we realized that we didn't have any bathrobes when we should have had two. So, like I said - small issues. We had an amazing dinner at Iridescence. It was well worth every dollar spent. We also had a decent lunch at the Pit Stop. Good burgers, even turkey burgers! The buffet breakfast was pretty good. Not the best service. We had to hunt down someone to get drinks - not easy.

All in all, it was a good adventure for our 6th anniversary. We even walked away from the casino as winners!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

I recently spent a week in Detroit on business. The hotel and casino looked clean, the service was great, and the staff were respectful and attentive. I must say i was very pleased overall with the service provided. I would have liked to have given this property an overall rating of 4 out of 5, were it not for the last two nights i was there.
I'm not sure why, but on the 2nd to last night I noticed that i had bite marks on my arms. At first i thought it was an allergic reaction, but after noticing the following evening even more marks and having a closer inspection, i came to find out i had 'bed bugs' in my room (11th floor). To say that i was itchy is an understatement. Obviously i complained to management and i was moved to a different floor, but by this time my confidence and condition made it impossible to enjoy the remainder of my trip, much less get any descent sleep.
If you must stay at this property, or any other zones prone to these situations, PLEASE CHECK the bottom edges of the mattress, behind headboards, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
20 Thank Jaime R
lambertville,mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

This is the Hotel connected to the Motor City Casino. My Wife and I Stayed for this one night Completely Free! We had been there a month or so ago and went to the Casino and contributed(as most do)to the machines. They sent us an Email inviting us for a free night so we took them up on it. This Hotel is very Top Caliber, Very Clean;the staff are very polite and helpful. You can park on either the hotel side or Casino side;its free parking,or you can get valet service at the door. Our room was two double beds,very comfortable and cozy. Very well furnished room with a great,deep bathtub and a huge walk in shower. If you decide to go there to do a little gambling,i would certainly reccomend this hotel.Prices on the internet seem high,but you maybe can get a special rate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
prospect ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

my husband and i stayed over night may 29th. we had a nice room overlooking the city. the carpet was a little dated and so was some of the furniture but overall it was fine. there was bathrobes and slippers to wear if you were interested. the casino was good. we only play slots but we did bring home most of our money. we ate at the restaurants in the "hallway"....not sure what they were called. got cheeseburgers and they were fine. we liked the "self serve" soft drinks, coffee, etc. as far as detroit goes, this is our favorite place to stay. have stayed at greektown and mgm before. the staff was very nice. you cannot walk anywhere from motorcity. you would have to drive or take a cab. but...overall we were very satisfied with our stay. we will come back eventually. we live in ohio and it is only 2 1/2 hours drive for us. we love vegas but this is a great option.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tamaradmProspectOhio
Beltsville, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

We had an overall amazing experience at MCC&H. The staff here is simply amazing. I think they do a better job than any hotel I've ever stayed in. We didn't choose this hotel, it was chosen for us when our original hotel was overbooked. My husband was in town on business but my daughter and I accompanied him. I was very skeptical about staying here while pregnant and with a 2 year old but MCC staff went out of their way to change my mind. If I'm ever in Motor City again, THIS is where we will stay.

The Room:
The room itself is very spacious and aesthetically pleasing. It easily accommodated our stroller, pack-n-play, luggage etc...I'm six months pregnant and found the bed to be a little too firm for my liking and my husband agrees with me. However, we have an adjustable bed at home so we're used to having control over this. The bathroom is gorgeous. My 2 year old loved visiting the shower just for fun. I made use of the big, over-sized tub every night! What a luxury. The marble entrance does look lovely but does amplify ambient noise. I'm a light sleeper so a little Tylenol PM helped me overcome the 3 a.m. crowd traveling back to their room. My daughter was never awoken by this extra noise. We stayed Sunday through Thursday so I cannot attest to weekend foot traffic but the noise was manageable.

Front Desk:
Extremely accommodating. We had a few maintenance issues the first night and the front desk saw to it that they were taken care of immediately. They followed up on any requests that we had. They were super friendly and helpful. I know there were times they were extremely busy but they never let it show.

Security:
Although you'd never want to walk anywhere around the hotel, this is true for most of Detroit. I felt completely safe with my little daughter here. They have guards on duty 24 hrs and they get to know the patrons. They have security cameras all over and Detroit Police that monitor the outside and sweep through the perimeter at times. I felt totally safe. The amount of foot traffic this place gets on a 24 hr/7 day a week basis is incredible but even the patrons are incredibly pleasant! I couldn't get over how friendly every one is and what a good mood most people seem to be in. This goes for waiting for elevators outside the casino, too! I never smelled any off odor as other posters have reviewed but then again we weren't there on the weekends and the hotel can only do so much about the perfume or cologne a patron puts on that night. Being pregnant, I'm extremely sensitive to smoke smells and I never once had an issue here anywhere in the hotel.

Food:
We LOVED the Monday night seafood buffet! It was a little pricey but definitely worth it. We waited in line for about an hour but as typical of this hotel, everyone was delightfully friendly and it made the time fly by. The buffet is managed and run very smoothly. The breakfast buffet was delicious, too! We enjoyed this two mornings during our stay. Very consistent in quality. The only time I was unhappy was the dinner buffet we attended Wednesday night. I found the food dry and bland. I was very disappointed this night.

I also tried getting a milkshake from The Pit Stop I had heard so much about. They lost my order and when I approached them after waiting 20 minutes, was informed that their milkshake machine was broken. Seriously? They offered to make it up to me but it was a bad night all around and I just wanted to leave. Most guests that I spoke with on elevators raved about the Pit Stop. Maybe I'll try again next time we visit.

Housekeeping:
For the most part, this was a relatively positive experience. They had to work around my two year olds toys and my pregnancy pillows, etc...and they did a lovely job. The second to last day, I didn't leave the room until 10 a.m. and when I returned at 4pm the room was still untouched. After a couple of phone calls and a visit to the front desk/hotel manager, they finally finished our room after 7:30 pm! The hotel manager offered to make it up to me but my daughter did miss her naptime because of this and was generally cantankerous most of the evening. I place full blame on the housekeeping staff for their lack of organization. If a guest hasn't left their room by the time you wish to clean it, there should be a system in place so that this doesn't happen. I was assured that this wouldn't happen again. Thankfully, MCCH has 24hr housekeeping services.

Valets:
We used Valet service every day. Being 6 months pregnant it is getting difficult for me to walk long distances. The valet service is complimentary but we made sure to do our part to tip appropriately as well. The valets are all very nice and professional. I was pleased to see them every time we pulled in from an adventure around the city. They are your first experience with the hotel and they make and leave a wonderful impression.

Overall:
Except for the few minor bumps we experienced, we loved this hotel. My daughter enjoyed the huge floor to ceiling water fall and music in the lobby and the floor to ceiling picture window in our room. We loved the convenience to the zoo, the museums and other major venues in the city. We felt appreciated, safe and enjoyed a restful stay. I cannot thank the people of the Motor City Casino and Hotel enough for an enjoyable experience!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jevans1120