“Nice hotel, but really expensive”
Review of MGM Grand Detroit

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed at the MGM - Detroit recently for an overnight birthday celebration with my wife. This is the second time that we've stayed at the hotel. The only issue with the hotel was that my wife ordered a birthday gift for me from the hotel was suppose to be in the room upon arrival. It was not there. When she called they said it would be delivered by 3pm and so we went down to the casino and came back around 345. Still no delivery. Finally after a second call it was delivered.

We ate at the seafood restaurant in the casino. Not worth what you pay. We're not afraid to pay for good food but this fell short.

We had breakfast at the buffet in the casino and it was one of the best buffet's that we've ever had.

Be warned the casino is very smokey.

The room was very nice but not worth $300+. It's still Detroit.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wolverinejim
Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed February 8, 2011

Stayed at the MGM Grand Detroit Feb. 4, 2011 after catching a Red Wings game. The rooms are nice and comfortable, but they are definitely not worth the price you pay. You can easily find a comparable hotel in the area for 3 nights at what you would pay for 1 night at the MGM Grand. We were offered a late check out when we arrived. I declined, but after getting to our room and talking to my girlfriend, she wanted to sleep in so I immediatley went back to the front desk. I was told that it wasn't an available option even though I was offered that option 4 minutes earlier. Also, make sure you tidy up your room before you check out. They charged my credit card an extra $200 for "room damages", even though NOTHING was damaged and the room was left the way we found it. All in all, I would give the MGM Grand an "A-" for their rooms and an "F" for the value.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank picklemh
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Took my wife to celebrate her birthday and stayed for one night. Have never been to Las Vegas so I can't do a comparison. Regarding smoke filled air: I didn't find it bothersome. (Neither of us smoke.) In fact, I thought the air quality was quite good when compared to some other casinos located in Michigan.

Room was spotless. Bed very comfortable. Staff extremely pleasant. Valet parking free, (although I tipped). AAA discount saved about $25.00 on the room charge.

We listened to a 3 piece band (piano, sax and singer) from 9 to 12. Highly entertaining. No cover charge. A glass of merlot was $7.00. Their first set started at 9PM went for an hour and a half before they took a break...then only for about 20 minutes.

I did find it rather amusing as I sipped on a glass of beer waiting for my wife to return from the slots, (I don't gamble), that she was charged $5.00 for a glass of pop, (soda), after she finally joined me. A glass of beer cost $5.00. She actually won money and knew enough to quit while she was ahead.

Although the casino is located in downtown Detroit, at no time did we feel unsafe. But I would not have ventured outside the casino to explore the city. We ate at a sea food resturant inside the casino. It was very expensive, but we knew this ahead of time as sample menu prices were placed in our room. There is cafeteria seating for folks on a budget.

Tom

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Interesting to read below of yet another theft by housekeeping...my experience was similar, except that I left a toiletry bag with prescription medication behind. It was "not located in the room," and I was told "you know, I only have your word that you left it" by a night manager. I filed a crime report, spoke to the lost and found department manager who assured me she would fully investigate. I was never contacted as by them for any follow up. I was, however, informed by the Lost and Found department that "this NEVER happens; we always locate and return guest items left behind." Turns out that 2 other colleagues left items that were never found....hmmm....IF YOU STAY HERE, MAKE SURE TO COLLECT ALL OF YOUR ITEMS UPON CHECK-OUT.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank roadrunner51
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I left my watch in the room. I realized this about 5 hours after leaving. I called, and the staff told me they were going to have housekeeping check the room and call me back. They never called. I went to the hotel in person, and I was told housekeeping checked but never found my watch. This is a lie, since I know where my watch was left. They simply denied it. Be careful not to leave anything in your room, as the housecleaning staff will steal it.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

This would be a much easier hotel to review if it wasn't inextricably linked with the casino. The service in both was great. We had a good meal in the hotel and both the room and the concierge level amenities were on par with what you'd expect for the price.

But...man, the smoke is big obstacle. It permeates the whole building and you can't totally escape it even in the 'non-smoking' parts of the hotel. If you are a smoker and you're looking for that last bastion of freedom than I guess places like the MGM Grand must be a great place to stay; but for non-smokers I can guarantee that it will bother you.

We've been to Vegas casinos where the ventilation rendered the second-hand smoke to a minor annoyance. I'm not sure if this MGM property just isn't large enough or if there are just that many more smokers attracted to the casino, but it was pretty noxious. It definitely cut our gambling time short and it drifted into the hotel enough to give it a bit of a funk.

We spend a lot of time in Detroit and we love staying downtown during game nights, but the air quality alone will keep us from returning to the MGM Grand. Love to try it again if their policy ever changes.

4  Thank Eiregirl
Reviewed January 23, 2011

When we arrived our reservations were mistakenly made for MGM in Las Vegas. We spoke to a woman named Shahnee who was more than accomodating. She did her best to make us feel welcome and was able to correct the problem and get us a room. She is more than an asset to this company. I have never been so impressed with an employee of any hotel. She was handling many problems that had to be delt with yet never ignored us. She was able to get us a room and i have never been treated so good at any hotel. Our stay was wonderful thanks to her. Our evening which included our Kid Rock concert was great thanks to her. We even won some at the slots. Before i wouldn't of considered staying here. Because of SHAHNEE I would not only stay again but recommend this hotel to my friends. Thank you SHAHNEE for a wonderful stay and the personal and special treatment you gave us. Employees like her are far and few these days.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family