“not perfect ... but very, very good”
Review of MGM Grand Detroit

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
St Paul, MN
“not perfect ... but very, very good”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Not that I have ever had a 'perfect' hotel stay! My mom, sister, and I spent three nights at the MGM Grand recently. We got a great deal, pay for two nights, get the third free. The check in agent was able to get the same deal for the third room - we were ready to pay rack rate! We had a luxury king, an executive king, and an executive corner suite. All were large, spotless, and tasteful - fantastic bathrooms. Note that luxury rooms do not have a tub. On the other hand, my sister said that she kept slipping down in the stand alone tub in the executive king; I found the jacuzzi in the suite to be large but somehow uncomfortable. But this is really minor stuff.

We decided to upgrade to the concierge level for the morning continental breakfast and the afternoon snacks. The breakfast was great, lots of fresh fruit, just baked croissants, and hot coffee. The afternoon snacks were disappointing - nothing hot or substantial. Still, it was worth $20 a day per room so that we didn't have to eat breakfast at the casino buffet or order room service.

Our major problem with the hotel is that it is attached by a large open hall to the very smoky casino. Although the smell did not come up to the rooms, walking through the lobby was horrible. Even worse, with the exception of Wolfgang Puck, you have to walk through that smoke, noise, and crowd to get to their premier restaurants as well as the buffet. We found this baffling - why did the hotel not build additional hotel-only access to the restaurants???

The spa was fantastic - large, quiet, and again, spotlessly clean. We had manicures, pedicures, massages and a facial and with one exception we found the staff to be great. You should book the spa with confidence!

A word of caution - the property is not very elder-friendly: low chairs with no arms that are hard to get in and out of; very high beds with the same problem; shower controls that require a good deal of manual dexterity. Also, the heavy duvets might be fine in the dead of winter but they were too much for the summer. Housekeeping told us they had run out of blankets (!?) so we had to use duvet covers instead. Housekeeping had some trouble remembering to keep the cover there and remove the duvet.

In any case, we had a great time, and we would love to return to the hotel for the spa and the luxe rooms. We believe this is the best hotel in the state - way better than the other casinos, for example. Enjoy!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Spacrawler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Polish first
highland
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Great place - buffet outstanding, pool beautiful, room service promptand reasonable. Gaming great, comps great. People working at hotel top notch. cleanliness to a flaw/ gym had great equipment.

Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Having stayed in several hotels in Detroit, I can say that the MGM Grand was by far the nicest in town and offered an outstanding experience. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and met all of our requests immediately. Our "luxury" room (their standard level) was one of the largest I've stayed in and was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The small details such as adjustable lighting levels, plasma screen on the wall (and in thebathroom), and sitting area with couch made the room that much more enjoyable. The bathroom is enormous and very well-appointed (see the previously mentioned TV on the mirror) with a huge shower and everything else you could want. The bed was tremendously comfortable and welcome after a day on the casino floor. Even though the hotel is connected to a casino, several restaurants, and several more bars, it is very quiet and the hotel area is kept separate from all of these by keycard access only doors and a full-time security staff.

The casino floor is bright, clean, and modern with of plenty of attendants offering drinks and assistance if you need it. In my mind, it is the nicest in Detroit. Our dinner at the Wolfgang Puck Grille was outstanding and very reasonably priced. We had breakfast at Palette (the buffet in the casino -- also included in our package), which had a wide variety of options and also offered made-to-order items.

The hotel itself is located toward the outskirts of downtown Detroit and right off of I-75, which made it easy for us to find and to get back on the freeway when it was time to go home. I suppose this could be a bit inconvenient if you had business or entertainment in town, but the staff seemed to be very helpful in arranging transportation for guests. Since everything we wanted to do on our trip was located within the hotel, it wasn't a problem for us.

In all, we couldn't have been more pleased with the MGM Grand and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jzombek
Anderson, Indiana
Reviewed June 29, 2010

This experiance was absolutetly AMAZING!! I have been to Las Vegas, Kentucky and Detroit for meetings, but this hotel was the best that have ever stayed in. The staff at the front desk was extremely friendly. One employee was very very helpful and very very polite.....her name is Jessica Bruce. She went above and beyond the call of duty to help me with the problems that came up. The bellmen were extremely nice, housekeeping took very good care of the rooms. I spoke with one manager and he was very polite and caring to make sure everything was taken care of. Now the best part of the stay was the rooms......WOW....there are no words to describe the (Luxury) rooms. The bed was great....it just swallowed you up it was so plush and comfy. The bathrooms were great.....extremely large walk in shower, seperate door for the toilet, large double sink with full size mirror and a television in the middle of the mirror. I didnt get to enjoy the spa or the pool but I did go and look at it.....it was very nice and tranquil. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The price is well worth the stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TrinnaD
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My hubby and I decided to "Get-Away" for the evening and enjoy each other prior to my upcoming surgery. We purchased the "Grand Player" package for a Sunday to Monday stay, $289. This included the room, $50 voucher for meals, and $100 gaming voucher. Valet parking was also included.

The hotel is beautiful and the service top-notch. Everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The room (King) was spacious, linens wonderful, the bed I wanted to take home it was so comfortable! The bathroom had a flat screen TV built into the mirror that also had a selection of music channels (probably my favorite part of the room!), and the "rainshower" option. The pool was beautiful, the locker rooms had separate showers, whirlpool, suana, and all toiletries...including a new toothbrush if you wanted! The only negative was the floor was SO SLIPPERY! The fitness center had all you needed, though we didn't utilize it. The customer service was fantastic on every level, I really can't say enough about it!

We ate the the buffet for dinner and breakfast. The 1st hour of all meals is 1/2 price, so we went early to get both meals. ($18 for the breakfast buffet is definately over-priced, $9 a deal!) The food was great, as well as the service. (I'm not a fan of buffets like Old Country Buffet, generally speaking.) Everything was fresh, presentation great, and there are stations around the buffet to cook made to order items...pasta, lamb chops, BBQ, Asian, sushi were some of the choices.

The beers were only $1.50 for Bud Light, mixed drinks $5. We brought some cocktails with us, and went back to the room and made a drink. We're not big gamblers, played the penny and nickel slots for hours.

Late check-out at 1pm for no additional charge. In a half hour, we were home!

It was like we stepped in to another world for 24 hours, and will definately go back for another stay!! I wish the rest of the city of Detroit would "catch-up" to the MGM and become the major city I think us "Detroiter's" know in our hearts it could be.

I would recommend for a romantic get-away, business travel, birthday, even bachelor/bachlorette parties...no drunk driving!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank along0111
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I don't get to Detroit too much, so it is hard for me to compare this hotel to other hotels in the area or the strength of the location. I will say this:

Rooms are clean, and well appointed.
A few food options that should hit your fancy.
Gaming floor is nice (compared to Vegas gaming spaces).

I was upgraded to a suite for some reason - perhaps they didn't have a king in the standard room. The suite itself had a bit of a weird layout, but it was pretty big with nice views and a huge bathroom. Rain shower option in the shower too.

Had time to eat at Bourbon Steak. Sat at the bar and had a steak, which was great. Wine list (by the glass) seemed a bit limited for prices shown for steaks. Really? One cabernet option to go with my $72 steak? Oh, of course, what was I thinking? I'll just order a bottle for myself.

Gaming floor was nice, but I really hit the craps tables. Limited server availability - same as Vegas.

I went for a run from here - a 3 mile loop that took me to Comerica and Ford Field. Nice run, easy to navigate.

All in - not bad. You certainly could do worse.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank VermontGolfer
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Stayed two nights for a medical meeting. As a world traveler, I would say this is one of the best hotels I'd ever stayed. The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly. The room was very nice, excellent bedding, great bathroom. Hosekeeping was the best. I really enjoyed my stay at this nice hotel. The only compaint I have is I have to walk through the smoky casino in order to get to the restaurants.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business