“Best Hotel Room I Have Ever Stayed”
Review of MGM Grand Detroit

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Awesome. Very pricey, but worth the stay! I went with a church convention and had one of the most wonderful stays I have ever had in my life.

Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed October 9, 2009

I'm not so sure this review will be overly useful because the two major premises of this hotel are not my "bag." First, it's Detroit. Unless I had to go for a business meeting, I wouldn't. Two, I'm not a "Vegas" guy and the whole casino experience is lost on me.

That said, it was very nice. Very stylish and trendy, that is. Being a traveler with a preference for all things traditional, my encounter with this property was humorous. For example, I walked into the bathroom looking for the commode. Couldn't find it. I thought the opaque glass wall was a long shower wall. Nope. Half of it was the shower door and half of it was the door to the commode. Very big shower and very spacious commode room, however.

Then, turning on the water faucet. No "red" or "blue" dot to indicate hot and cold on the sink or shower faucets. Now, I know it's usually left for hot and right for cold, but I was confused because it took a bit for the hot water to get hot when I turned it to the left. So I turned all of the faucets on in various positions to figure out the hot/cold scenario.

Does form overpower function in this artsy boutiquey -esque high rise hotel or am I just a behind-the-times dummy? The humor continues. I couldn't figure out how to turn the lights on bright. Very "atmospheric" lighting. And then, while I was in bed, the lights I thought I had turned off came back on gradually. Still don't know what that was about. And the lamps. No switch on some of them. Just have to touch the base.

So, after spending a humorous hour trying to figure out how to "work" the room, I reclined on the very comfortable, plush bed. No tricks there, just a very comfortable bed. The only real complaint I have about the room - the hotel for that matter - is the TV remote. It's an epidemic. It'll be a rich person that comes up with a remote that works without having to push the "up" or "down" button 5 times to change the channel. Banging it on the nightstand seemed to help.

No evidence of nickel and diming for the extras. Internet access was free. Of course, as with all high-end hotels, no coffee maker in the room. But hey, the $6 Snickers in the mini-bar was good! There is a Starbucks in the hotel, but it is about a half-mile (I exaggerate) from the base of the elevators (very little waiting time for the elevators) on the other side of a very large and smoky casino. And no one working in the casino seemed to know what corner it was around even though they were 50 yards away from it.

Didn't take advantage of the spa, but it seemed very nice. Did go swimming in the pool. Again, "very stylish." I was the only one there. They have these big, white "orb pod" seats with similar decorations hanging from the ceiling. Along with simulated cow hides on the floor. Again, I don't get it. Very nice, but I don't get the "high-trendy" decor. More relevant, the water (seemed like a salt/chlorine combo) was cold. I was hoping for warm at least. No hot tub that I could find.

The hotel is about 30 minutes from the airport and about a $50 cab ride. A town car can be had for a little more. The Detroit area is not what I would call picturesque - lot of abandoned buildings and seedy areas - but the hotel is an oasis in this urban decay desert.

All-in-all, form overwhelms function in this property, but it is very good even if you don't go for the casino. I don't know what else is available in downtown Detroit. If there's no Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton, I'd stay at the MGM Grand again. Now that I've figured out where the toilet is.

PS. The food in the restaurants around the casino: very good. Palette is buffet style but really good, especially the desserts.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Pramstroker
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I have stayed in quite a few 5 star hotels around the world, including the Bellagio & Encore in Vegas & the Hazelton in Toronto. MGM Grand Detroit is one of the very best hotels I have ever stayed in and I can't rave about it enough.

I had 3 nights here in early September. I was there on business, and arrived at about 6am from 2 long flights from Australia. When they became aware I'd come from Australia, they checked me in immediately! I was thrilled...the shower was a welcome sight.

Check in was perfect...I needed lots of things, car organized for transport to Canada the next morning, internet access etc and Shawnea at the front desk was fantastic and so professional. Bonnie, who also worked the front desk, helped me immensely and never got frustrated with my many demands! The rooms have wireless internet access included and a feature that allows you to send a document to print in the business centre...I needed help with it urgently at about 5am one morning and she bent over backwards to ensure I figured out how to use it. When I complained of a blister early one morning, she found me a purse size package of bandaids! Bonnie, Shawnea and their co-workers were first class, 5 star all the way!

The rooms are beautiful....very new, with nice lighting, and very impressive furnishings. The double headed shower is great, bathroom products were nice and love the built in tv in the bathroom mirror. I ordered room service twice for breakfast and once for dinner and each time it came fast, hot and was very tasty! Also, reasonably priced for a 5 star property.

The property itself is great. The hotel part is separate and you can avoid the casino if you like. At the entrance to the hotel is a lounge area for the guests, with a beautiful fireplace roaring away, nice furnishings and lighting. In the mornings, free coffee is available from 6am here. I love my coffee and loved just having to go down the elevator to get my first cup in the morning. There is also a starbucks on the premises, but it's a fair distance away (you have to go through the casino to get it). The casino is quite large, and has a large range of eateries, including fast food options. I had the breakfast buffet a number of times, and though it doesn't compare to some Vegas buffets, I still really enjoyed it. It was reasonably priced, and I'm vegetarian and enjoyed the variety of fresh fruit they had on offer.

Just a few tiny complaints. I was disappointed that room service was only 24 hours a day on weekends. I think with 5 star properties, room service should be 24/7days a week....even if they lose money at it, the service should be offered. The other tiny issue is the location. You can't just walk off the property and walk around...it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. But downtown is just a short taxi ride away (about $6+tip). In my 3 days I only had 1 staff issue, and it was casino staff....a woman manning the entrance to the casino confronted me for trying to bring my cup of coffee from the hotel into the casino....she was over the top aggressive about it, it was 6:30am and I was on my way to the breakfast buffet, and she was annoying! Bul in 3 days, she was the only bad experience I had and overall I can't rave enough about the staff at the hotel....consistent first class, 5 star service all the way.

Almost forgot to mention the housekeeping....best I've ever had...I left a mess each morning and came back to see it folded and laid out in the neatest and best way ever. The housekeeping service was the best I've ever experienced.

I have to add, Detroit is a great city to visit. An amazing city, made very special by the residents. Detroiters have to be the friendliest people in the world. I sooo enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank phoensam
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I booked for a night over Labor day weekend. They had a Staycation package with a hotel credit. We planned to use the pool and room service and it all worked out as planned. Even without stepping foot in the Casino, we had a good time. I had heard that the Burgers in the restaurant were good, so we ordered. Yum - carmelized onions, etc... yes it was more expensive than a Big Mac, but its a rare treat. We were on the Concierge floor so even better. We could avoid using the mini bar and just grab a few sodas, coffee, etc.. I don't drink, so the light stuff is fine for me.

The room, very nice. Comfy bed, robe, etc... Since the hotel is newly built, it has all the amenities and then some including a Bose sound system and TV in the bathroom, dual head shower, etc... My only slight surprise is there was not a tub in my room. Not sure if you have to ask for one, but the shower was very nice. Everyone in my family went in and stayed for a long time.

The pool was a good size. A little shallow, a little cold at first, but no one was there, so we had it to ourselves. Nice cabanas to sit out. The hot tub was in the shower area. Again, nice showers, steam room. I didn't have time for the spa, but maybe on another trip.

If you're close by and need a night off, I'd recommend it. Only down side is its not really downtown, so you can't walk to anything, nor is it River Front, but the valet will arrange for your car to come around and valet parking is included in the price (unlike many hotels in Chicago, etc...) All you have to do is tip.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and I live in Ann Arbor and decied to spend the evening of our 10 year anniversary at the MGM Grand. We are glad that we did. The staff was great. The room was roomy clean and modern. We felt like we were somewhere other than Detroit (we can say that since we lived there for 7 years). The restaurants are great. We had a wonderful dinner (great table and service) at Bourbon Street (as this was after a disappointing experience at the Whitney). We also had fun hanging out, listening to music and people watching at the V Nightclub and Ignite Lounge. The next morning we did the spa. Very nice spa. Rivals the spas in Vegas easily. Nice fitnesss center and pool. The best part was no one was really there so it was very private. Before check-out we had brunch at Wolfgang Puck's Grille. It was delicious. Try the apple pancakes with maple butter and the lobster club sandwich...you. The MGM Grand Hotel is A-1 with us.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Stayed for two nights as casino guests in an Executive King room. It was fantastic. The service was spot on at every turn. Had dinner at both Wolfgang Puck Grille and Saltwater and both were fantastic. We also enjoyed the spa, had stone massages, facials and my friend also had a pedicure. Our room was one of the nicest rooms we've stayed in and with the service being top notch from check-in, hotel operator to the casino and restaurants it was a really luxurious, fun trip. Our casino host took fantastic care of us. Highly recommend this hotel, spa and fine dining and if you enjoy gambling this is a really fun, large casino -- my friend and I both commented about how nice the other people were who were gambling while we were there. Simply fantastic, can't recommend it enough! One of the nicest, serene indoor pool and deck I've ever enjoyed.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

This will be my first choice when I return to Detroit later this year.
The hotel is very well run. Every service person we encountered was excellent...front desk...housekeeping...restaurant...casino. We were in our room about 30 minutes when housekeeping stopped by to see if the room was perfect or if we needed anything. It was perfect. We had a corner suite with three tv's...bed was incredibly comfortable. Restaurant was excellent. Room service was quick and everything we ordered was good. Thanks for a great weekend in the D...and the Tigers sweep of the Cubs...sorry Cubs fans :)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple