“Awesome!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Plymouth, Michigan
“Awesome!”
Reviewed December 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with a group from work for our Christmas party. We felt like rock stars. The entire hotel from check in area, lobby and the rooms, everything was first class, elegant and classy. The staff we encountered were very professional and helpful. The room was very clean. We loved the bathroom with the tv in the mirror and the huge shower. We would love to go back for an "in town" getaway. What more can I say then it was Awesome!

• Liked — the luxurious rooms
  • Disliked — we loved it all
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
MIchigan
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My fiance and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at MGM Grand. I booked our room as a surprise birthday trip and we couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. We had a beautiful standard room on the 11th floor that overlooked the Detroit River and Ambassador Bridge. The decor in the room was tasteful and elegant and the bathroom was very luxurious, especially with the flat screen TV in the bathroom mirror. A birthday card was waiting in the room for my fiance, as well as a selection of cookies. The service was fantastic. The Front Desk had a refrigerator sent to our room within 10 minutes, free of charge, when we asked for a place to put our leftovers from dinner. There was no wait to retrieve our car from valet. We definitely plan on staying here again in the near future.

• Liked — The hospitality shown by the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Three friends and myself took a weekend (Sat & Sun) trip to Detroit this mid November. One us had several free rooms coming to him and he was gracious enough to comp each of us our own room at the MGM Grand. We booked what is the "players package" which includes a luxury room, a comp meal at Palette and $50 free play per person based on double occupancy. This would have cost $379 each.

We arrived into Detroit from two destinations, and our flights were on time. We rented a car without any time wasted and arrived at the MGM Grand about 11:30 am. One of the reservations was miss-booked and the front desk personnel hung with us until it's resolution. I noticed that they gave us 2 comp meals and $100 free play each..so we huddled and voted to bring it up to them rather than get the tab later. They said, no this was right, to enjoy it and have a good stay. OK for that!!!!!

We were all placed on the 14th Floor. The room was fantastic, even knowing such a luxury room at 510 sq feet was the smallest they offer. The lighting dimmed throughout the room, the furnishings were very boutique, like you'd find at some of the "W" Hotels. The bathroom was very spacious, and with a TV in the bathroom mirror..hey what's not to like. There are three phones in the room, a safe, as well as a 42" plasma TV.

The security level at the hotel is without a doubt the best I've experienced. There is a separate "lobby" area for registered guests, in addition to that at check in. One needs a key to enter that separate lobby and proceed past the doorman, as well as the elevators to one's room/floor.

We all ended up winning using our free plays on VP. We decided not to go to Palette for lunch, which was a mistake, well a partial mistake. We ate at the Food Court of Breeze, which was at about the level of mall food. Since it was just a "hold us over" snack, we were OK with it, at the time.

We figured we'd hit the craps and BJ tables before the limits went up later. Somewhere between lunch and our agreed 5PM meet time for dinner we all gave back our winning from earlier.
(Knuckleheads) The casino was lively, quite smoky, and the dealers were friendly. Table limits went up to $15 from $10 on the craps tables and to about $20 on BJ at night.

So Palette at 5 it was. Remember that commercial with the slogan, "Where's the beef?” Well I'll tell you where it's not, and it's not at Palette. You may be able to find a strip or two at the stir-fry, but forget about it after that. It's a herbivore's dream. I did find some very good lamb chops, some good cooked peppers & onions at the "Asian" area. The oysters got thumbs up too. The dessert area was not good at all. The Chocolate mouse was not chocolate, but coffee. I do not consider chocolate covered pretzels dessert. I noticed they had about 10 or 15 nice looking cakes in the adjacent display case..sorry those are for sale only. So I had some ice cream and topped them with Blackberries and whipped cream. For arguments sake, we four are eating professionals. One of us likened it to Cafeteria food. We all were very disappointed, but figured they could not ruin breakfast.

We were right! They could not ruin breakfast because they were closed until 11AM. J.C. !!! So we asked where we could use that 2nd meal comp. Back at Breeze, or Starbucks...not for this group.
Wolfgang Pucks was open for breakfast, but the comp was not valid there (why the Heck not???) We pooled our "comp" points and managed a collective $106 comp tab + $20 cash tip for breakfast. It was good, but mine was eggs, toast, coffee, OJ, and ham.

Once again the hotel came through and gave us without hesitation an extra 1/2 hour to check out. Check out was easy and pleasant.

So here's the summary;

The dining..good intentions gone awry. NOT RECOMMENDED.

The casino is very good, very smoky, but not any more or any less than any other major casino, with an edge to MGM's dealers for being friendly. RECOMMENDED

The hotel and staff are beyond excellent in all ways. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• Liked — Absolutely Luxury Room and great hotel and casino staff
  • Disliked — Dining
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zoke2
London, England
Reviewed October 25, 2008

If you are staying in the Detroit area and want somewhere special to stay this hotel is a MUST. Even if you are not into the Casino scene (which I am not) this is a luxurious and very well appointed Hotel.

Downtown Detroit has little going for it, but the Hotel makes up for it. Our room was luxurious and something special. The fitness facility, Spa and pool which is included in the price was also excellent and on the morning we were there empty ! The staff were very accommodating and not a bit pretentious.

Only down side is the cost, this is an expensive hotel for Detroit, but worth every penny !

• Stayed October 2008
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Wow. What a first-class place! Very charming and modern. You really feel like you are in a decent newer hotel in Vegas (like Planet Hollywood or TI) Everyone was super nice and attentive from the valet, to the door men/women, to reception and housekeeping. From check-in on it was a wonderful experience. They offered to upgrade me to the concierge level in an executive corner suite, but I preferred the layout of the Luxury suite, so I asked to please keep my original reservation. I did not realize that I would have been on the 17th floor instead of the 8th with free breakfast, but I liked my Luxury suite.

We had a corner suite, room 801. This room was VERY nice and modern. 3 TVs including one in the bathroom mirror. 2 bathrooms, one with a giant soaking whirlpool tub. The only downside of the room is there was no fridge. The "in-room vending" is what your fridge is, no room to put your own things in. We had to fill our little sink with ice to keep our wine cold.

Bed was soft, a little too soft. But big and the linens were very comfortable. I hate scratchy cheap bedding, so this was an added perk. But all in all the room was exactly what I hoped for, an area with a full couch and coffee tables, another table with two chairs by the window, and a desk with two chairs by the window by the bed. We were very impressed and felt the price was worth it. FYI they are running a special until the end of the year, we got this suite for $150 off of the normal price. Email me if you want the code.

Casino was bunk. Tight slots, crowded tables. We did enjoy chillin out at the "you me drink" lounge. Had a little luck with video black jack.

We also tried the buffet, Pallet. For those that are not aware, this casino/hotel is brand new. MGM had a temporary casino for years and the only dinning option was the buffet (and a small cafe). My husband and I loved this buffet. It was a little pricey, but the food was always top-notch and plentiful. Well when they opened the new buffet, they lowered the prices a little and the quality of the food as well. There did not seem to be as many choices and the food stations are way spread-out. The Asian cuisine was the highlight. Not much else that I found to be appetizing. I think the purposely lowered the prices, so people that want to spend a little more will go to one of the expensiv-o restaurants (Bourbon Steak House and Salt Water) which the entrees were around $35-$50 each. This is just my conjecture, but one FACT is the buffet quality went down from the old casino.

Loved this place, I will stay here again, and eat elsewhere in Detroit...many many other options!

• Liked — Luxury, modern, high-tech, great service
  • Disliked — No fridge in suite!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adrixia
NE Ohio
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Our first trip to the MGM Detroit was close to Christmas last year - within a month or so of opening. In december, it was nice, but you could tell that the dealers needed some help (not as sharp with the games as they should be) - we had a fire alarm, but couldn't find our way out, and it was still not quite running smoothly. This time, everything clicked. In fact, we had recently talked about the fact that there was a time when you could go to a "five star" hotel and find things that you couldn't find in even the nicest homes. Well, You'll find those differences at this hotel. We stayed in a mid level room (not the opening price point, but just above it). We had a full bath (large tub with mini jets on the bottom) Beautiful shower, and separate toilet area. In addition to this, there was another 1/2 bath. The bedroom could feature a view of Detroit (no comment since I'm from NE Ohio) or electric blinds that can make it look like midnight at noon. The separate seating area was exactly that . Everything was still as new as the day the built the room, and extremely clean. spotless - and I dont say that . . .ever.

In the casino, we went upstairs and sat at the sushi bar - it was OK, I opted for the kobi sliders that came three different ways in addition to some rolls we shared. We didn't make it to any of the other restaurants. We decided upon a late room service instead.
Since we were there on a Saturday night, the table game minimums went up fast - and you're not grandfathered in at a table. It was pretty early when the basic table was $25 a hand. While I'm not looking for $5 tables, I like to take bets up and down with the table.
The casino was packed - and it wasn't as smokey as December. It could be the fact that we found non smoking tables, but It was much better than the December experience.

The price of the room was pretty high, the drinks are pricey, but I'm still glad we went. I'm looking forward to trying it mid week sometime to find the price difference. - and some better table minimums.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 23, 2008

The best hotel I have ever stayed at. Immediately upon arrival we were met by free Valet staff. Upon check-in we were met by an extremely courteous staff, who upgraded us from our regular suite to the luxury suite without even asking. Let me tell you, this is an amazing room with a king size bed 2 seperate rooms one full bathroom and one half bath. Two big screen LCD tv's., just amazing.

The room was $400! But they entice you by giving you a $50 gas card and a $100 credit toward any resaurant or spa purchase on the resort itself. They have to top Restaurants on the propert a Steak House and a Wolf Gang Pucks. We ate at the Steak House and used every bit of our gift card then some! But the food and service was excellent.

They have a couple bars and one nightclub on location. We went to the Nightclub called 'V' . It was a Thursday night so it wasnt too busy and we were able to sit in the usually "reserved for bottle service" areas. Johnny the bartender was great although the drink for Detroit were a little pricey. According to Johnny, Fridays and Saturdays are packed.

Lost a few hundred at the casino, but then went to Greektown and won most of it back. (I always do better at Blckjack when i am drunk!). All in all the best hotel stay I have ever had. It is definately the Vegas experience in Detroit. If I had alot of cash Id be up there every weekend.

Only drawbacks were: The wireless internet they promised did not work and they tried to charge us for the mini bar. (I guess everything is on sensors...we moved a couple things around trying to make room for our own water and it must have set the sensors off)..but they took the charge off when we told them we didnt use the mini bar with no problem.

• Liked — The luxury suite
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple