“Gorgeous rooms. The staff treated us like royalty! Will be back!” 5 of 5 stars

MGM Grand Detroit
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toledo, Ohio
“Gorgeous rooms. The staff treated us like royalty! Will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Absolutely amazing! The staff was great, clean ccomfy room. Ate at the sports bar (Tap) very good food. Use the valet to park to avoid a long walk. Will be back...we have always stayed at Motor City, but got a better rate with AAA.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
DetMGMGrand, Manager at MGM Grand Detroit, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hello 1gaterlo, Thank you for staying with us and for leaving us a review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to eat at TAP! We hope that you had a relaxing stay and look forward to your next visit.

Rachel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
Fort Wayne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am a frequent traveler and love to hang out at casino resorts not only in Las Vegas-yearly, but all over the Midwest as well. Four Winds, Blue Chip, Hoosier Park, Ameristar-East Chicago, Firekeepers, MGM Grand Detroit, etc.

I was staying over for just 1 night on Saturday July 6th, 2013. My contact representative, Lena Danayan from VIP Services had me in a Concierge Level Executive King room on the 17th floor, room #1719.

My first impression of the hotel when I was at the valet, polite, I got out of my car with my overnight bag and a cooler with beer bottled water etc. I passed the valet and signed in at the front desk, no problem. When I got to the doorman for the private elevator-concierge level rooms, I was told that coolers were strictly not allowed. After arguing for several minutes I was ordered to take it away, so I had to go back outside and track down a valet and hope that my cooler would end up in my trunk. So, I was pissed off, angry, and upset before even seeing my room, and confused. I carry my cooler up to my room at Ameristar. I carry my cooler up to my room at Four Winds. But, those properties treat people like adults.

My room was quite nice about 710 square feet, 2 TV's, glass enclosed shower and restroom, full tub, double sinks, wet bar, and clean and modern. Nice bed and the room was fine. Sleeping was a nightmare. Went to bed about Midnight, fireworks or gunfire kept me up past 2:00 a.m.. Man delivering my morning USA today early a.m. also woke me up, as did my hard partying neighbors from across the hall 3, 4, 5 a.m. I lost track.

Unlike most places that I frequent who offer a wide and guest friendly entry area- boarding area, At MGM Grand in Detroit the entry into the casino is all roped off and all guests are forced through a tiny entry/security area restrictive and problematic.

The beers in the casino are obscenely high when you get lucky enough to see a cocktail waitress. $5.00 for a beer plus $1.00 tip = $6.00 per drink times 7 = $42.00, man I could buy 3+ cases back home and still have money to spare what a rip off, no wonder that they don't want you to have reasonably priced beer with you even in cans. This is the best way to gauge the guests.

When I stay at Ameristar in East Chicago they offer Smoking rooms, non-smoking rooms, and wheelchair access rooms. I was told that they try to accommodate "ALL" of their valued guests.
I am a smoker, but ALL of the rooms are non-smoking, All of them are non-smoking, you can only smoke on the casino floor!!!!

I was out of there early in the morning, hours before even my wake up call, with almost zero sleep, a long 3 hour drive back to Fort Wayne plus an expensive gasoline bill and a headache.

I won a little bit in the casino, but It was not a very pleasant visit for me. I'm thinking probably my first and last visit to MGM Grand in Detroit. So many other properties are less restrictive and controlling and the true high roller will enjoy other properties so much more!!!!

Stayed as a solo for 1 night 7-6-2013
Bill Bernard-Fort Wayne, Indiana

p.s. I spoke to Lena Danayan in the VIP area and she was , "ACES"

Room Tip: Smokers are not welcome and don't bring any beer either!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Firstnten
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was a great hotel. The rooms were emaculate and made for a very comfortable stay. I wouldn't expect anything less ($283) for one night. The coffee machine when you enter the hotel area was delish! I loved the valet parking my car and when it was time to check out...they had it waiting for me. The highlight for me is the Buffet - it is world class. It has about 9 stations of extremely tasty foods. The desert bar is great as well. I fly often...I will return to the Buffet at this hotel....even if I didn't stay there again. My view of Downtown was pleasant as well. I will definitely be back here soon. I couldn't find anything wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Excellent location to get away and relax and enjoy world class dining and and great gaming environment. The rooms are well laid out and extremely comfortable. Dinner was incredible. YOU MUST GO TO Wolfgang Puck steakhouse! Bravo MGM!!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Fully enjoyed top notch service in all departments. From the valet parking, desk service, maintenance, housekeeping,and the front desk. The spa and in room dining was phenomenal. I hope we can return next year.

Novi, Michigan, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Room was great, loved the bathroom and staff even left some cookies for us since we were celebrating our anniversary! We thought that was very thoughtful. We will return, already planning our next stay.

Rochester Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Loved the spa, the service, and the hotel appearance. I was made to feel like a star at MGM and I will be returning frequently. The room service was pricy but the same as if you went to a nice restaurant except you got to enjoy the meal in the privacy and comfort of your room which is a plus.