“It's a Beautiful Dump”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, Alabama
“It's a Beautiful Dump”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I guess I'm jaded from the hotels in Vegas, Reno, New Orleans and Mississippi, but I was not at all impressed with MGM Grand Detroit.

The rooms were very pretty. The lobby was pretty. Everything else was sub-par.

I pre-paid with a corporate card, I faxed in the authorization from our comptroller and then I called to make sure they received the fax. Yes, they assured me they did.

So when I got to the hotel, I once again confirmed with the front desk that they did indeed have the authorization. Yes, they assured me they did.

Lo, and behold when I went to check out 3 days later, they suddenly had "never received the fax." ....Charging my credit card $1100.00

I had the ORIGINAL copy of the authorization in my purse which they couldn't accept because it wasn't faxed. LOL!

And then they were rude about it!!!!

Everything is way overpriced. There's no coffee in the room, you have to get dressed in the am, trudge down to the lobby, wait in line with all the other guests to pour your coffee and go back up to the room.

The M Life comps are the cheapest I've ever seen. The low table limits on blackjack are 15 dollars. Pretty pricey considering this casino floor is loaded up with penny slots. I dropped 300 dollars my first night and didn't even earn a free cup of Starbucks coffee, let alone their ridiculously overpriced and yet somehow sub-par buffet. Comped drinks? Forget it. I was approached by one waitress the whole time and they only offer soda, no "adult" beverages. You'll have to pay for those.

There's no real gift store in the place, just some tiny little hole in the wall to get a Coke or an asprin or Rolaids (which you'll need if you eat at the Breeze café.)

Wolfgang Pucks Steak House was wonderful (spring asparagus soup, oh my God!) and the Tap bar is fine, if pricey.

All in all, I hope to never go back. My final word in the MGM Grand Detroit is "meh."

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York, Usa
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Definitely made my business trip a bit more enjoyable. The staff is very friendly and fun. The rooms were the same caliber that you would see in Vegas. The Gym and pool areas were clean and gorgeous.I would love to visit again soon.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Great hotel , clean and comfortable , would recommend to anyone.
Staff very friendly. Usually go to Las Vegas, but this was even better. Just a great experience over all !!!! whether your looking for a one night stay or a weeks vacation, this is the place to stay.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We planned a last minute trip to Detroit and booked a room with MGM online. We did not realize we actually booked the room at the Las Vegas location. When we arrived at the hotel it was about 11:30PM and we were tired from our drive in. Julie Webster the Office manager brought our electronic error to our attention. But it was no problem she got us switched over and set us up with a beautiful room. She was nothing but helpful and made what could have been a horrible experience a phenomenal one. Thank you Julie Webster for going the extra mile

Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel. The service is great. I spoke to Daniella to book my reservation. From that moment on the experience that I had was amazing. She was so nice and was happy to help me in any way she could. When I got to the front dest, the sweetest young ladies helped me check in. You walk through the doors and the lovliest people are waiting to greet you as you head to the elevators. Service is the most important thing to me and here is where anyone can get it. The rooms are really nice too. The food in the hotel is great. The burgers are outstanding and the buffet is delicious. I feel as though I am in a resort and not in the middle of Detroit.

Room Tip: The rooms are great. I have never stayed in a bad one yet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I usually stay at another hotel in Detroit downtown but decided to switch it up this time because I stayed at the MGM once before and I knew it had an exceptional pool and spa.

I was traveling on business and after a long day of meetings I wanted to get down to the pool and spa and relax. The spa has a wonderful locker room with a steam room and nice large hot tub. The pool area is gorgeous. I took a nap on a comfy lounge chair and there was no one else in the pool area, it was super relaxing.

The hotel itself is pretty nice too. Rooms are very modern, clean and the bathroom is large and the shower has dual shower heads. The bed is also extremely comfortable,

I would like to give the hotel credit because I had a problem with my first room (toilet not working) and they immediately rectified the situation and gave me an upgrade to the concierge floor. They also offer free valet for your car.

The one thing that's kinda not so great about the hotel at least for me is that it's connected to the casino and you can still smell the smoke from the casino as you walk into the lobby. I'm sensitive to smoke so I don't like that but it comes with the fact that it's also a casino.

I'll be back again, probably again for the spa, it's amazing.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the MGM Grand Detroit for two nights in April. We reserved an executive corner suite.

Pros:

Our first impressions came from their concierge. We asked them to schedule a number of town cars for us. This was done promptly and at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the rest of our visit was not as impressive.
The room was large and well-appointed as advertised. The décor was well done and the bathroom was fantastic. Our room had a television over the huge over sized jetted tub and a large shower with a rain shower as well as wall sprays.
The minibar had a good selection, and considering the type of facility the prices were very reasonable.

Cons:

I expect a hotel of this type that charges what they do, to have top quality service. The MGM Detroit’s service was at best mediocre. When contacted for minor service requests the response time was poor. The staff also does not have an attitude that suggests that they will do whatever it takes to keep the guest happy. They could take a lesson from the Helakulani in Hawaii. The MGM Detroit’s attitude was more of an “I’m sorry we can’t help you.”
The second night of the stay we had to call security a total of four times to complain about the loud music coming from the adjacent room. The first call was made at 11:30 at night. It wasn't until almost midnight that the music stopped. It then began again at 4 am. I understand that a hotel cannot be responsible for their guest behavior, but when another guest has called the front desk (and talked to the manager) some action needs to be taken. Either kick out the guests that don’t know how to act like adults or make other arrangements for those who do.

Overall Impression:

The MGM Grand Detroit has a long way to go to become worthy of the rates they charge. The facility is nice and knew, but the service is indifferent. I will have to think twice before I stay here again.